Looking for a flat panel TV under $2000, need advice

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jim_Smith_, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Jim_Smith_

Jim_Smith_ Auditioning

I am shopping for flat panel TV's. Both plasma and LCD are options. I will be using the monitor for both television and computer. For television, I will be watching mainly DVD's and DirecTV. HDTV is something I may get later.

I am looking for a 42 inch, but will consider something smaller. I know I will be buying a low end unit, but picture quality is probably what I am looking for most. I will be sitting as close as 2 feet from it at times so picture quality is a must.

My budget for a TV is $2000. I am currently considering this unit:

I have also looked at models from Akai and Panasonic.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

On the low end, Panasonic still does blacks better than the other two.

Regards

3. John S

John S Producer

Yep, panasonic tends to be markedly better in the Extended Def Plasmas.

I don't think there are any 42" LCD or larger in that price range is there?

4. Jim_Smith_

Jim_Smith_ Auditioning

There are no 42 inch LCD's in that price range, but I am willing to go smaller if it means a much better picture. I was looking at a JVC 26 inch LCD for around $1500 I think.

5. John S

John S Producer

The problem with smaller, is it can seem better just because of that.. It's smaller.

I'd go with the plasma and size myself. I would choose an ED Panasonic Plasma over any of the more bargain HD Plasmas I have personally seen. There is so much more to a display than the raw resolution it can produce.

6. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

I would think a 42" ED plasma viewed at two feet would be pretty ?????grainey???? Not something I think I'd choose for close up computer work anyway.

Mort

7. Jim_Smith_

Jim_Smith_ Auditioning

I have yet to see a plasma hooked up to a PC, so I have no clue what it will look like. I have duel monitor support and plan to have a 2nd 17 inch LCD for when I want to watch TV on the plasma and still work on the PC.

I went to Best Buy and Circuit City tonight and looked at some displays. The Panasonic ED's did seem to have a slight better picture. All the lower end plasma's I looked at did have slight artifacting, but all looked good to me, even up close.

I am still deciding.

8. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Remember ... one does not buy a NEON and then complain that it performs like a NEON. [​IMG]

Regards

9. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

"I will be sitting as close as 2 feet from it at times so picture quality is a must."

At 2 feet, a 42" plasma is out of the question.
    The sreen door affect alone would be annoying, not to mention the resolution of the set when used as a computer monitor just wouldn't cut it.
    You'd be able to see all the defects of the image being displayed. You might want to consider the HP L2335 23" LCD.
    A true 1920x1200 HD monitor.
    Just a thought.
    Vb

10. Sceptre

Sceptre Auditioning

Have you looked in Sceptre LCD's?..42" LCD's are starting at $1,200. This is a really good price.
    http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/Specifications/spec_x420bv-F120.htm

This is how it looks if you want to see it...Hope this helps

11. SoundDoc

SoundDoc Extra

Jim,

You are confusing a computer monitor with a video display, which is quiet easy to do. If you want a 42-inch display for TV and you aren't ready to show HDTV on it now - including BD movies - then WAIT and just purchase the size computer monitor you need, and it probably won't be 42-inches. I have found that once the computer display gets above 23 or so inches that eye movement and placement of work objects gets to be a problem. So, while you think you may want a larger work surface, unless you have entire areas of your surface where absolutely nothing is gong on and that doesn't bother you, go larger. I also like being able to pivot the display; something I can do at 23 inches, but not at 42 inches.

All that said, the native display of a 23-inch monitor these days should be 1920 x 1080. It can be higher, but no lower at that size. Then, if you want to watch HDTV on your monitor, you can.

I have a 37-inch 1080 p monitor that I thought would make a great display, but it hasn't worked out that way because it simply has too much space. It's used for TV now. I need to us my eyes microversions as I move across the screen, not macroversions that will lead to eye fatigue.

Good lkuck

12. BenS

BenS Stunt Coordinator

I think he found the tv by now. lol

This thread was from 2005.