Looking for a DVD-NMP (or BD-NMP) hybrid

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MsbS, Apr 22, 2014.

1. MsbS

MsbS Auditioning

Marcin
    Hey guys. I'm looking for a very specific set of features in a DVD/BD player (basically, a Network Media Player with a DVD/BD drive). After a quick search at the major manufacturer's sites, I could not find a product that would satisfy my needs. Can you help out?

MUST-HAVE FEATURES:

[*]CD and DVD playback (I can handle BDs from my PS3 anyway)
    [*]Network Media Player functionality (files hosted on a NAS server): MP3, avi, mkv, mp4.
    [*]Media library incuding metadata/thumbnails download from the Internet (imdb, tvdb, etc.)
    [*]Subtitle support (srt), including non-English characters (Central Europe)
    [*]Output: HDMI
    [*]LCD display (CD player style - track number and playing time).
    [*]IR remote (so I can use my Logitech Harmony)
    [/list]
    NICE-TO-HAVE FEATURES:

[*]digital audio out (toslink or coax)
    [*]Web interface (for the music collection - browsing the library without turning on the TV)
    [*]Internet radio (TuneIn, Shoutcast, DI.fm)
    [/list]
    THINGS I DON'T CARE ABOUT:

[*]3D
    [*]Wifi (ethernet is enough)
    [*]USB, eSATA, internal HDD - all data stored on NAS
    [*]If it has digital audio, I don't care about D/A converter quality.
    [/list]

2. MsbS

MsbS Auditioning

Marcin
    Having spent the past 2 days browsing the manufacturers' sites, I am inclined to believe that there is no device in the market that would satisfy my needs. Too bad - I will stick to my current setup: one streaming device (aka Network Media Player) and one DVD/BD player for them discs (mostly DVD and Audio CD).

Anyway, perhaps I could upgrade the streaming component. I currently use a WD TV Live (Gen 3). It is generally fine - it was terrible when I used an external NTFS drive, but with media on NAS the media library works reasonably well.

I would like to improve two things though:
    - better metadata retrieval (data+thumbs) - preferably, also from tvdb.com, or themoviedb.org).
    - better web gui - one that will allow me to play an MP3 from my library without turning on the TV (in my case - projector).
    - better internet radio support (di.fm), also internet radio channels selectable from the web gui.

Any ideas which players have good media library + metadata, with a nice web interface (where you can browse the library)? Or is HTPC (with XBMC or VNC) my only choice?