Looking for a DIY kit that might rival the Onix Reference Ones.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by James W. Johnson, Dec 31, 2005.

1. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

I hear these are pretty good sounding speakers...ive love to make something similar..

http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=23.1

Anybody got a kit out these days that might rival this speaker?

I am looking to build a new front stage with these so a matching center would be nice too.

thanks

2. al lout

al lout Stunt Coordinator

James,

Check out the GR-Research A/V-2 (bookshelf). I built the A/V-3 (floorstand) and extremely happy with them. Great sound, crystal clear and clean...

Al,

3. James W. Johnson

Hi Al, thanks...ive seen the various GR-Research speakers discussed around the net for years, seems they get mostly good reviews.

4. James W. Johnson

Ok, that AV-1 looks about like something id like to build.

But I wonder how a single AV-1 would do for center channel duty,anyone here use an AV-1 for center duty?

5. James W. Johnson

Another speaker id consider would be a 5.25" driver configured MTM mini-tower type speaker or maybe even one that uses a single 5.25" driver.

Ive always found Totem's little 5.25" 2 way towers attractive.

http://www.totemacoustic.com/english...nding_hawk.htm

Basically I need some small high performance speakers, if they could extend down to 40hz in room id be happy...lower would be nice too.

6. John Wes

John Wes Stunt Coordinator

Check out the Extremis series.

7. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

8. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Personally I'd build the AV/3 center to go with the AV/1 fronts. Ironically a friend and I are building some GR-Research speakers this weekend, starting this weekend anyway. He's doing the AV/1's and I'm doing the AV/3's. Should be interesting. He's going to build the AV/3 center to go with his AV/1 fronts.

9. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Blaine - please keep us updated on how your GR Research work goes! I'm very interested in building a set of fronts to start...trying to decide between AV/2 and AV/3. If all goes well with those, I'll probably do an AV/3 for the center right away, and eventually some rears.

10. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I'll try to remember to do that. I just ordered the No Rez material Sunday. I have to have that installed before I can put the front pannels in place. The only thing I'm not sure about on the AV/3 center is that it only goes down to 80hz because it is a sealed box. My center sits in an entertainment center so I have to have a front port. Remember that the AV/2's are 4 ohm speakers and the AV/3's are 8 ohm if that makes a difference when you decide. The regular AV/3's will hit 40hz according to the specs. I am running with an SVS sub, but I just don't know if that center will be too restrictive or not.....

11. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

For those with GR Research speakers (or I suppose any of these bigger DIY speakers) - pardon my ignorance, but what kind of power is required for them? Do you need to run them through an amp or something other than a typical receiver to get them powered correctly? Thanks.

12. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

From reading the specs on the AV-3 I don't think anything huge is needed to run them (I think the AV-2's actually need more power than the AV-3's because they are 4 ohm). I have a Marantz SR5400, rated at 90w a channel I think into 8 ohm, I'm assuming from talking to Danny at GR-Research that should be fine. The AV-4 however I bet you'd want a much larger power plant!

13. cacu

cacu Stunt Coordinator

I don't know how these compare to the Onix Ref, but I'll just throw it out there.
    - The Eros (I built a pair and I'm happy with it)Link
    - The Ellis (I'd like to get one of these) Link
    - The Seas offering from Madisound Audio

14. JohnGil

JohnGil Stunt Coordinator