What's new

Looking for a boost in my sound (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dan, the fact is, you can get reasonably full frequency response and a stellar soundstage with 2 speakers, so long as they are exceptional speakers and are positioned and powered properly. This means more than just the most brute force power available, but quality power and electronics all around. My main speakers can produce sound seeming to come from any specific location in the room all on their own, if that is what the engineer intended. No amount of piling the room full of speakers and amps will ever accomplish that.

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
What would you be suggesting as far as good all around fronts? Obviously Paradigm and B&M come to mind as far as quality speakers in my mind but am i looking for something special as far as running one set of speakers? Wouldn't want to go into updating something thats not going to do me any good

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dan, I guess you don't realize how many speaker manufacturers there are.

As far as your question, Paradigm and B&W are just fine, but I don't exactly find them to be extraordinary, so I would go with These and maybe a really top notch sub. The new SVS Ultra might do the trick. Hey, you asked.

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
ok So hypothetically i buy the 10K dollar speakers. What do they give me that a set of nice monitor speakers don't? Are they clear? powerfull? have active electronics to determine room dynamics and adjust accordingly?

So you're not saying a trick pair that fires off the sides or out the back, But just better drivers?

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I try. But, believe it or not, i think I did get something out of this post. May have been slightly along a different wavelength but any info is good info.

Thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes on 1, No on 2. That's part of it, but hardly all of it.

Raymond lee Leggs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Raymond Lee Leggs
9 speakers? I guess you can never have too many speakers.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
:eek:

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
This is something interesting i found in the european market when i was looking into how sound can be bounced off walls and such.

http://technabob.com/blog/2007/02/13...in-a-tv-stand/

Its an interesting concept. i don't think it did very well since its not around anymore. but is it built on solid principals? esp for smaller spaces? i almost want to try turning my main speakers outward a few degrees and see how it sounds. i expect it to muddy my highs though

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
How about a pair of Bose 901s? $1,400/pair.

IIRC they can absorb a lot of power, I think at least 200 watts continuously.

And a very room-filling sound capability because of the 18 drivers they use.

A quote from a Stereophile review written in 1975 (new 901s use the same driver array concept):

Newer 901s the last couple decades are usually reported to have less bass, but are also more efficient. Speaking of that, the article includes an extensive discussion of standing waves and how the special design of the 901 contributes to its rather unpredictable bass output and in turn people's reaction to it in different rooms.

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
moving my speakers had more of an effect that i was expecting, granted not a good effect but i have another idea. previously the speakers were right beside the screen angling them out indeed made it muddy. BUT i have rediscovered that it may be better to move the speakers out to the edges of the room and angle them in. i'll try it out and see how it sounds

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks