What's new

Looking for a 'basic' full setup for watching tv (1 Viewer)

Xoam

Auditioning
Real Name
Stijn
Hello all! I am looking to upgrade my home theater setup, but I'm kind of clueless on what I really need to get it all working properly, and I can't really find a good guide to help me get started. I currently have: - LG 50" plasma tv - Mede8er 400x mini media streamer - and old JVC Stereo, not sure on the model (http://img.2dehands.be/f/preview/140500575-stereo-jvc.jpg) I use the system 90% of the time for watching downloaded series and movies (.avi mostly), 10% of the time for music. The current room I use it in is my bedroom, so it's a rather small room, not optimal for proper 5.1, but since these systems are meant to last, I plan to take it along to my new place and install it in a living room at some point. At this moment I have the mede8er stream the video to the tv (duh) and the audio to the stereo aux, so I have decent sound, but only stereo, and the mede8er that I have is quite slow when navigating through folders and such. I plan on investing in something that's really good bang-for-the-buck (upto 1000 euro), to improve the sound and quality-of-life (currently using 3 remotes). Some questions that I'm stuck with: - the most important one: what do I need ? are modern AV Receivers also media streamers (doesnt need to be wifi), or do I need a seperate media streamer hooked up to the AVR, which then sends it on to the speakers? - do AVR's come with the universal remotes needed to operate the streamer/tv/avr or is that something that needs to be bought seperately? - Is it unwise to buy a 5.1 system for such a small room, even if I plan to take it along to my new place at some point, or is the quality gain in a small room just not worth it to upgrade now? I was looking at the Monoprice 9774 system, but they don't seem to ship to Belgium. (even if they did the price would be doubled by ups/import costs) I know most of these questions are probably quite basic and maybe even frowned upon, but I simply can't find a proper guide that explains what every piece of a home theater does and what you need to pay attention to to have a nice bundle. If you can point me to a guide where I can read up on all this as well, I'd be equally grateful for that! Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What I would direct you toward is the Onkyo NR414. There is the TEAC AD-G500(have no clue what it costs) which is, essentially, the Onkyo NR515. You still need a "video" server(as AVR will only stream audio)...which Roku/Popcorn Hour/Apple TV etc will all handle whatever you've got.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
I would stay away from apple TV if these downloaded files of yours are ill gotten ie: from bit torrent or the like... it won't play them without some serious work... I would say Roku or if you have any interest in a gaming console both of the big ones are great media hubs (with the edge to the PS3 in my opinion)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks