What's new

looking for a 5.1/6.1 setup for ~$500 (1 Viewer)

Jon W

Auditioning
I have no idea, i'm just basing it off of reviews, as there aren't many speaker stores around here.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
That kind of sucks. Everyone knows the most crucial element of speaker buying is auditioning them with familiar discs.

And reviews in magazines are for the most part useless. They all sound the same after a while.

Will Zog

Grip
Jon, here's another idea - HKTS12, which got a rave on CNET, is at J&R for about $300 plus shipping. I've got the setup in a real big room, and it sounds very good to my ears, both music and movies.

Only downside is it's weak at low volume. So I just keep the volume up!

Jon W

Auditioning
I was actually looking at the HKTS14 which are on sale for 456, but was pursuaded against it on the forums and couldnt find any reviews.

Will Zog

Grip
This is my first setup, so I may not know what I'm missing. Nevertheless, in my first month, I'm very pleased with the sound.

And at the price, it's barely more than HK sells the sub by itself.

My other option was to go Fluance and add a sub. I've yet to see a bad review of their packages. Like you, I was shopping without listening first.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I will proably get bashed... but I am kinda partial to the infinity TAS-450. Its not bad but if you can afford the 750 its much better.

Will Zog

Grip
Mike, with relatively little for me to compare to, it sounds good to my ears. As the speakers are relatively small, it helps push the music to sound more full-- I opened up the crosover a bit higher than 80 (I think 120) to take a bit more low end thru the sub. At low volumes, I can feel the rumble through most of the house. I suspect it wouldn't fare well in competition against other subs for the deepest LFE, as its range doesn't go down as low on frequency as some others talked about here. But it does a heck of a lot better than no sub!

Overall, the set fills up a big space (24x24 with cathedral ceiling) very well, for me anyway.

If I hadn't been happy with this setup, my next option was Fluance and finding a sub to go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks