What's new

Looking for a $150 Progressive Scan player...... (1 Viewer)

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I'm have a Wega 32" HS500 delivered to my new apartment on June 1st. I'm considering picking up a DVD player to exploit every bit of this new HDTV's capabilities. I've never once seen a videogame or DVD in progressive scan. So, I need some help with a few quick questions. So here goes.....

1) My current DVD player is a Playstation 2 hooked up with component cables. How much of a difference would I notice when comparing it's DVD playback to the best $150 prgressive player? Is it worth it?

2) What is the best $150 prgressive DVD player available? Preferably one that doesn't have a the "chroma bug". I don't even know exacltly what the "chroma bug" is but i've heard it's bad and you don't want to see it. :)

3) If I buy a new DVD player i'll then need a component switcher because the TV only has 2 component inputs and i'm certainly hooking my Gamecube up to the other input. So, what switcher do you recommend and do you think i'll have a problem with a cheap $40 switcher running progressive scan signals?

Thanks for any help. :)

Dan.B

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Daniel, just based on comparisons I've done with machines at home, I would have to say you'll definitely see a difference. Just comparing s-video output, my PS2 gets spanked by everything from my bargain basement Apex AD-3201 to our midrange (well, it was mid-range 3 years ago) Panasonic 5 disc changer. I've even compared two PS2s, one was a few years old with an outdated DVD driver, the other a brand new unit wih the newest DVD driver. When comparing both of those units even to my aforementioned turd Apex AD-3201, the difference is practically night and day.

The PS2 has a tendency to make even the best discs look pretty poor. On the majority of my discs, the fleshtones are so poorly rendered that depending on the lighting of the scene, the characters could easily be mistaken for Oompa Loompas or Smurfs. I love my PS2 for games, but that should be its primary purpose.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Thanks Nick. Well, the reason I asked was because i've had several people on the televisions/projectors board tell me I wouldn't see a difference. They claim my new Wega will upconvert the PS2's dvd image to a progressive scan level.

Dan.B

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I went from using my PS2 for about 2 or 3 years to a Panny CP72. I have a POS 2 or 3 yr old Zenith 27" with s-video. I can't use the progressive scan but I am thinking ahead. A lot of the cause for the switch was to cut down on wear on the PS2 drive, as mine is first-gen and is very flaky. The Panny DVD player looks a lot better than my PS2 (drivers never updated). I can't really pin it down, but the color saturation and clarity just seem a lot better. I spent $159 after rebate. I have seen open box units for $150 @ Circuit City lately.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Color saturation...that was the term I was looking for...whatever the prevalent color is on any scene in a DVD, the PS2 tends to make EVERYTHING shaded in that color...hence my Oompa Loompa/Smurf comment.

The HDTV will upconvert the PS2s output to progressive, but
in this case it would be polishing a turd. The video is only gonna be as good as it's source, no matter how much the TV will try and polish it.

SeanA

Second Unit
I think the Toshiba SD4800 can be had for close to $150 now. The only drawback I have heard is that it has the chroma bug, but I have yet to notice it myself. I've had the Toshiba for about 4 months now and am very pleased with it. It is a great value for the feature set, which includes DVD-Audio capability.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Daniel, take a look at the new Panasonic DVD-S55S and 'F85. The 'S55S is a $130 single-disc player, while the 'F85 is a $150 five-disc changer. Both players have DVD-Audio as a bonus, plus Panasonic players don't show the chroma bug. Well I should say that I don't expect the new models to show the chroma bug since Panasonic players over the past couple of years have been chroma-bug-free.

Some folks here have said that Best Buy has gotten in the 'F85, and Crutchfield has the 'S55S. Go to www.crutchfield.com for more on the 'S55S. I also started a thread on this player recently, so check it out on this board.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Not to put too fine a point on it, but 480p doesn't "exploit every bit" of an HD-capable display's capabilities. :)

But, yes, you would do better to get a dedicated prog-scan machine.

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Toshiba SD4800 also. I've had it for almost a year now and I've been very pleased with it.

What is all this talk about a chroma bug? Can anyone explain?

MikeSRC

Second Unit
There's more info than you'll ever need about the chroma bug here: Chroma Bug

Read about it at your own risk. Once you've seen it, you may have to get a new DVD player, depending on your sensitivity to the "bug". :D

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
There's more info than you'll ever need about the chroma bug here: Chroma Bug

Read about it at your own risk. Once you've seen it, you may have to get a new DVD player, depending on your sensitivity to the "bug". :D
Well, that sucks... :angry:

I never really noticed it. I bet I will start to notice it now that I know about it. Dang it! I felt better before I knew about this.

I don't think I'll buy another DVD player anytime soon though. I think I'll wait for HD-DVD unless something else happens.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Thanks for all the info guys but I have one last question.

Can a cheap $30 component switcher box transmit a 480P signal without losing it's progressive perfect image quality? I've been told that it will be fine by some people and other have told me "no way!" "You have to buy a $99 switcher box that amplifies the signal so you don't lose image quality". Which answer is correct?

Also, just to let you all know I am only interested in a single disk player. I find the 5 disk changers to be stupid myself. :) Is it the concensus opinion that Panasonic progressive players don't have the "chroma bug"?

Thanks a million!

Dan.B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks