What's new

Looking at Receivers - here is a comparison chart (1 Viewer)

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
Just to repeat my observations elsewhere, my new Onkyo 600 shows no picture degredation when passing HDTV through the component inputs so apparently 60Mhz is good enough for HD (at least on my equipment)...

John McCutcheon

Auditioning
Pioneer VSX-47TX and 49TXi each have only 3 component video inputs, not 4 as shown on the chart. Also, they each have only 2 digital audio outputs (optical), no coaxial as shown on the chart. This is according to Pioneer's website.

Bob Feagins

Auditioning
Does the Yamaha RX-V1300 truely support Dolby Digital EX? Yamaha's web site lists Dolby Digital 6.1 decoding, but it doesn't list EX decoding. Is this the same thing, or is it doing some kind of pre-EX 6.1?

-Bob

ChadLB

Screenwriter
With in the next two weeks I should have a similiar comparison chart posted on my website.
I started on the database today. I just need to add Marantz, Pioneer Elite, Nad.
It is really a chart for $1000 and < on receivers.
I am trying to think of different queries to run on the database like < $500, 500 to 1,000, < 100 watts, > 100 watts, recievers that have DD, DTS, DTS-es, DPL II.
Any other suggestions let me know.

It includes denon, HK, JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Panasonic as of right now.

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator
Yamaha stated the RX-V1300, 2300, & 3300 as Matrix 6.1 on their comparison chart because the decoding is the same as was with the previous generations... Previously, the receivers were not allowed to license the EX name because of issues involving THX. Thanks THX!! That said, the decoding is the same except now Yamaha was able to license the DD EX name. The same can be said of Denon and other brands... THX must had really put a hold on the market as no manufacture can come out and say that there's no difference in decoding, just in licensing the name of such decoding... Several manufactures called the decoding EX but had to change it later because THX didn't want them using the EX name.
Dolby Laboratories and THX co-developed Dolby Digital EX in 1999. THX was the exclusive licensor for the technology until late 2001, so any machine with "Dolby Digital EX" decoding was identified with a "THX Surround EX" logo. Now Dolby licenses the technology, so machines have a "Dolby Digital EX" logo.

Dolby Digital EX uses a "matrix" channel decoding method for the rear center surrounds, so it is not a true 6.1 channel surround format. The rear center surround information is derived from the right and left rear surrounds by extracting signals that are common to the right and left rear surrounds. DTS ES Discete, on the other hand, is the only true 6.1 channel format. Some DVDs with an "official" Dolby Digital EX soundtrack have had rear center surround information deliberately matrix-encoded into the right and left rear surrounds, along with "EX" flags indicating the presence of rear center surround information.

Other manufacturers can create their own generic signal processing algorithms to extract a rear center surround using a "matrix" approach similar to THX/Dolby's, which is why you might see a "6.1 mode" on a receiver without Dolby Digital EX or THX Surround EX certification. Some even try to extend the power and performance of Dolby Digital EX decoding with their own proprietary algorithms.

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator
Most use the same decoding, with only the name being the difference. I think Sony ES was the maker that did EX decoding in-house, with their own algorithms.
I am referring to decoding schemes such as Sony Cinema EX, Cirrus Extra Surround, Logic 7, and so on. I believe that these are not exactly the same as Dolby Digital EX, but rather modified schemes that hope to offer their own proprietary enhancements.

PS
I just clarified some of my earlier language and terminology a bit.

Hey Bob:

In the interest of free enterprise and fair competition, I suggest that you also add the various receivers from Integra as well as the top-of-the-line Rotel model to your most informative chart.

Thanks....Peter

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I'm looking for the least expensive way to get a pre-pro for my system. Looking at the chart I thought the Denon AVR-1603 was the answer. However, after doing some investigation I discovered that the 1603 only has one audio pre-out not 8 as the chart says. This is based on a photo of the back panel on Crutchfield's website. You may want to correct that.

BobSle

Auditioning
Regarding the 'Component Video Switching' aspect of the discussion, for what it's worth, please note the following excerpted from the 'Secrets' review of the Anthem AVM-20:

"I, like most of my colleages at Secrets, am not fond of video switchers. Given the option, I will always run video directly from source to display. But with a multi-zone controller as powerful as the AVM-20, it only makes sense to have it. The video switch boasts a published bandwidth of 100Mhz (-3dB) which should be sweet for DVD's 480p. In pro-video circles, 3 to 5 times the bandwidth is regarded as being required for "safe passage", questioning the AVM-20's ability for 1080p material. However, to put it in perspective, not only was I unable to get good enough test equipment to check it but had I, I would have had no 1080p source to test it with! Given that HDTV set top boxes roll off their output anyway, I'm not going to lose sleep over such technicalities."

Will Yee

Auditioning
Hello, you don't have the Sunfire Ultimate receiver listed on your receivers list... not sure if you are aware of it, so I'll mention it. I am looking at getting this receiver and would welcome any owner's comments on it too. It does not seem to offer all the bell's and whistles of the Denon 5803 or Pioneer 49TXi, but it does offer powerful 200 watts RMS x all 7 channels driven at the same time from 20-20khz and is stable below 4 ohms with twice that power.

If anyone has experience with this receiver, please do comment on it, good or bad.

Thank You!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Admin/Original Poster note:
The chart is getting a bit dated and I think it served it's purpose over the holidays. So I am releasing it into the wild to sink/swim like any other thread. Thanks to everyone who caught problems/made suggestions. :)

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Anybody know what's the difference between ProLogic II and ProLogic IIx? As far as I can see, ProLogic IIx is for 7.1 and PL II is for 6.1?

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Hm, in that case why do many 6.1 receivers are listed as having DPLII?

What would be the difference between listening to DPLII vs. DPLIIx on a 6.1 receiver?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks