What's new

Looking at getting a Technics SLBD-22 Turntable for X-Mas (1 Viewer)

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Brett, I also use the BD22 and have been more than happy with this little table. I use a Shure v15 (hrp I think) p-mount which isn't made anymore. I recently got the same cartridge on ebay for around $40, mainly for the stylus. I use a Creek OBH-8 phono stage which was a huge improvement over the Sony ES built in phono stage I used previously. The whole chain is connected to a Aragon Soundstage preamp. I now listen to vinyl more than any other music source. I really think your best upgrade would be a outboard phono stage. You would get much less noise in comparison with the internal stage from my experience.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Brett, I also use the BD22 and have been more than happy with this little table. I use a Shure v15 (hrp I think) p-mount which isn't made anymore. I recently got the same cartridge on ebay for around $40, mainly for the stylus. I use a Creek OBH-8 phono stage which was a huge improvement over the Sony ES built in phono stage I used previously. The whole chain is connected to a Aragon Soundstage preamp. I now listen to vinyl more than any other music source. I really think your best upgrade would be a outboard phono stage. You would get much less noise in comparison with the internal stage from my experience.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I'm looking into buying a new vinyl setup and I'm thinking about going this route. One quick question...how does the Audio-Technica 311EP (http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc....t.A/id.2674/.f) compare to the 331LP?
Are you still happy with the setup? I'm currently using my parent's old (~20 years) Sony with the stock cartridge (Arg!) :D

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Kewl. Does anyone know anything about the AT311EP? It seems to pretty solid from what I've read, but if I can do better for the price I'd like to.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Well, I pulled the trigger anyway. I bought the SL-BD22K table from ETronics for $140, the AT311EP from NeedleDoctor for $60, and isolation cones/Shure tracking gauge from PartsExpress for $40 combined. Total = $240. Can't wait to give it a listen.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
People, I don't know how we managed to miss this thread, but it obviously does not belong in the Speakers/Subs section. Now it's in the proper location.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure I'm using an Audio-Technica 311EP with my old Denon DP-7F turntable. Sounds peachy to me.

Edit - yep, that's the one. I got it at a place that sells Magnepan, Linn, Brystrom, etc. etc. etc. Sounds nice!

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Regarding the Technics BD20, Crutchfield lists the following note:
Tracking force and anti-skating adjustments are set at the factory and should not require user modification. Since tracking force and anti-skating are not adjustable, only the supplied cartridge should be used.
Is tracking force really not adjustable on this turntable? What about the BD22?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Tracking and antiskating and a host of other things that are almost impossible to get right without being an expert are all built in to the P-mount spec. That's why P-mount was such a great thing when it came out. People used to use records casually, like we use CDs today, and often they sounded bad or mistracked or ruined records because people had their cartridges improperly mounted. When P-mount came out it was the greatest thing ever, now anyone who buys a turntable can get the tracking force, angles, anti-skate, virtually everything just right every time! It was fantastic. Still is IMO.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
But suppose you change/upgrade the cartridge? Do all P-Mount cartridges weigh the same? If not, wouldn't you need to be able to adjust the tracking force?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Well, the BD22 doesn't even come with a cartridge...so I'm not sure how that effects things.

In any event, my stuff arrived today and I was blown away by the quality. Gigantic improvement over my parents old Sony table. Can't wait to get some more time to listen.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
But suppose you change/upgrade the cartridge? Do all P-Mount cartridges weigh the same? If not, wouldn't you need to be able to adjust the tracking force?
All P-mount cartridges are made to be interchangable without messing with anything on the turntable. They all weigh the same and operate within the same specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks