Look! Up In The Sky Superman documentary June 12 on A&E

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Stephen Orr, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

A&E is showing this in advance of the new Superman movie. Looks like something to DVR, although I hear the DVD that's coming out at the end of the month will be 30 minutes longer!

Look! Up In The Sky

2. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Does anyone know if the DVD of this show will be included in the Ultimate Superman DVD box set later this year?

3. Random Hero

Random Hero Second Unit

It's in the boxset.

Also, I think Best Buy has an LE for this doc.

4. Brenda M

Brenda M Stunt Coordinator

I enjoyed this documentary. I didn't realize how much the radio program added to the "creation" of the Superman we come to know. I remember the comic book where Superboy cause Luthor's hair loss and I think Lex couldn't wear a wig because he was allergic? I am going to have to try to find my old comics. It always bothered me in the movie that Gene Hackman wore a wig as Luthor.

5. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

By the way, I believe a DVD version of this documentary will be out soon. I think I'll get the DVD version since it's 30 minutes longer than the version shown on A&E. [​IMG]

6. Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok Supporting Actor

Sounds like what they did for Empire of Dreams. Hopefully, the Superman doc is as good as that one.

7. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

Just watched it, what a great documentary! It even had me a little choked up during the parts about the tragedies that befell George Reeves and Chris Reeve.

I'm thinking that maybe the longer version will have a little more info about the more recent animated adaptations, the late 90s show was glossed over, and the short-lived Ruby Spears version wasn't even mentioned.

Something funny I noticed: Towards the end of the section about Superman Returns, Kevin Spacey (the narrator) says something like, "On June 30th audiences all over the world welcomed Superman back to the big screen." Not only is that not the correct release date (which is understandable, given that it was only changed recently), but it hasn't even happened yet! I guess Kevin Burns must have a Gog-like ability to time travel and forsee critical and general acclaim! [​IMG]

It was great to see footage of things I had heard of but never seen like the serials, Super Pup, and the Mole Men movie. It also remined me how great those Max Fleischer shorts are. All in all it was a great doc and made me even more excited for the new movie (which I'm sure is what they're hoping for)!

Kyle

8. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

If the clips from the Fleisher animations are any indication of the restoration job on the original 17 shorts, I must have them now!

9. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

I totally missed this. Will it be re-broadcast anytime soon?

Peace,

DM

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

11. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

Thanks Patrick!

Peace,

DM

12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

It was comprehensive, but it wasn't very in depth. I couldn't see anything they missed out on, but I didn't learn much more than I already knew either.

13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah but based on the two Superman logos you have in your post, I'm gonna guess that you already know alot about the topic. [​IMG]

14. Adam Lenhardt

True[​IMG]

15. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I think it succeeded, but I guess it boils down to what was the intended purpose of the documentary. IMO, this was a vehicle designed to promote and otherwise build anticipation for the upcoming film release. To that end, it worked for me. I have been hot and cold on this project since I first heard about it, but after watching this, I KNOW I will go see Superman Returns in the theater. Also, I think Singer and Burns went out of their way to try and include some special bits for the fans to help distinguish this A&E version. Here's what Kevin Burns had to say about the project over at BlueTights.net:

16. Adam Lenhardt

Interesting that the A&E cut was specifically targeted as "general interest." That explains it. I can agree that it helped further my enthusiasm for the new movie, especially seeing Kate Bosworth nailing the sheer momentum of Lois Lane. The scenes where she leaves Clark positively speechless with the sheer assault of personality make how speechless Superman leaves her all the more powerful.

17. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I will time shift it Saturday, I wanted to see this one myself but forgot.

18. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I consider myself somewhat of a Superman novice I guess, I know a lot, enough to know that I love all things Superman, but this doc was very illuminating to me and very well done. [​IMG]

Some of that stuff was just hilarious, like that Superman musical lol, can't believe that, and don't get me started on that show with the little people dressed as dogs, WTF!? [​IMG] It also wierd hearing Kevin Spacey refer to himself in the second person when mentioning the cast of SR.

But, and this is key, the one thing that this doc did for me that i've been waiting for something to do, is make me officially want to see the new movie in theaters! I was, and still am to a certain degree, a champion of Tom Welling as Supes in a movie, but, the more I see clips and trailers for the movie the more i'm liking Routh.

He has a certain quiet nobility to him that Christopher Reeve also had and he just looks the part, some of those clips on the doc where he's Clark talking to Lois are scary in how much he sounds, and to a smaller degree looks, like Chris. Yep, I can finally say that i'm stoked about this movie! [​IMG]

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Routh's voice has a little more bass, and a worble to it than Reeve's voice, which was more clear to my ears.