What's new

longer POSEIDON cut on HD DVD (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Depends what the extra footage was. The biggest difference in the original and the remake was the original spent time with the set-up and characters where the remake just jumped right into everything. If the longer version is more set-up and character development it could improve the film quite a bit.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
It did seem a bit short at 98 minutes for that Genre of film. If this cut will only be available on HD DVD, it could be the start of a trend where Standard DVD will lose out. I'm wondering if Studios will starting doing this to lure consumers to the HD format.

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
It equals better in this case if it turns out both cuts are included : )

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't think it will make much of an impact, since, most consumers aren't even aware of HD DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was just trying to be funny. However, in most cases, I tend to enjoy the theatrical release better than the longer or director's cut of a film.

Crawdaddy

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator
They really should release this on standard DVD as well. If this does start a trend, it could really backfire as people may not even buy regular DVD's anymore out of fear that things were left out on purpose.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Having watched this movie on DVD, I do not think I could sit through a longer version. But kudos to the studio for releasing the original along with the special edition on the same disk(s). Hope more studios do the same.

Thomas Eisenmann

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I couldn't agree more. There is normally a very good reason the editor of a movie is not the director. I have watched very few movies that the extended edition was better than the theatrical release, unless the film was cut to fit a time frame. "Once upon a Time in America" and "Once Upon a Time in the West" come to mind. The Directors cuts far surpassed the American Release copies. It turned okay films into classics. Lord of the Rings trilogy was also enhanced by the extended editions IMHO.

Thomas Eisenmann

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Poseidon was cut to fit a time frame which is good reason to think this will be a better movie just like the films in your example were.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The recently released director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven was a far superior movie to the theatrical cut. While I don't expect Posiedon to be as significantly improved I do know that it was severely cut to fit time, losing most of the character development.

Ryan Wong

Stunt Coordinator
I for one just don't think the longer Poseidon will enhance the movie. Based on the existing characters development in theatrical cut, I think more of it will slow the movie down. We will all get bored while wait for the disaster to happen. After all, Jack and Rose weren't in it.

More action scenes maybe? I just don't think they have saved some actions for longer version while leave the theatrical cut ran poorly in box office.

I think Poseidon is good for what it is - Final Destination at Sea.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Man, I don't know if I could sit through this movie again, even though there were some points where I mumbled: Bet that would look good on HD DVD. Guess I'll wait for: (A) Reviews here to see if it helps the story, or (B) I get a lot of gift certs for Christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation154
Recent bookmarks