What's new

Lone Star season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Can a show featuring a con man in Texas with 2 different sets of burgeoning family ties and the cushy after-House timeslot (Mondays at 9 p.m.on Fox) garner enough eyeballs to stay on the air?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I am going to give it a try; although it will be the last show from Moday night to clear the DVR.

- Walter.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I think this and 'The Event' are the only local network new shows I will be checking out this fall. And I'm not expecting either to be that great.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I thought the pilot was okay. I'll probably keep watching at least for now. I can't help but think the show would be better off with a more charismatic lead.

LCD22

Screenwriter

Originally Posted by ScottH

I can't help but think the show would be better off with a more charismatic lead.

I would have to disagree with you here. James Wolk displayed just the right amount of charisma to the role. As for the pilot itself, I thought it was perfect and had a great indie feel to it; one I haven't seen since "October Road". Unfortunately, the ratings were beyond low for the premiere (although I've read this morning a decision hasn't been made yet). I hope Fox gives it some traction first or this will be the second pilot with David Keith and Bryce Johnson they pushed to the side. I'm still disappointed in Fox for not picking up (or at least airing it somewhere -- hell given the familiar cast and crew involved, there has never been a DVD release and they've had plenty of chances to capitalize on it) all seven produced episodes to an unaired pilot I had chance to see years ago called "Still Life". They had a very moving, well written, strongly acted, family drama on their hands. There was a lot of potential there.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by ChrisCook

I would have to disagree with you here. James Wolk displayed just the right amount of charisma to the role.

Yeah I don't know. I've never seen him in anything before but I thought he was very wooden and didn't play the emotional scenes with his father very well.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by ChrisCook

Yeah I liked it enough to keep watching. I was hoping for a more stable (emotionally) conman premise, but this could work if the writing is good.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Just FYI, House is running three minutes into Lone Star's timeslot this week for those DVRing this show.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That was a fantastic pilot. Halfway through I told my wife, "I hope this goes someplace, because this is a show of horrible people that I don't want to watch."

Well, it went someplace. And it's still a show of horrible people. But it's exquisitely well crafted and I have to stay with it. And the lead has enough "redemption" in him to not be wholly off-putting. Looking forward to the ep 2.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
This was on the Hallmark Channel over the weekend and I watched it. Very good movie and James Wolk was excellent in it.

He had a breakout role two years ago as "Brad Cohen" in Hallmark Hall of Fame's "Front of the Class". Worth checking out (I'm really surprise it doesn't come up more on HTF as the supporting cast included Treat Williams, Sarah Drew, and Patricia Heaton), and he plays the emotional scenes extremely well in that production.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if they had casted a "name" in the lead role, would the ratings be a bit better, or is the subject matter just not people's cup of tea at the moment?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
It's the timeslot. I'll bet people are watching The Event or Dancing with the Stars over Lone Star. I watched The Event, but TiVo'd Lone Star.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You're part of the problem!!!!

"24" was getting 2-2.5 times the ratings in that timeslot last season (when it returned in the winter for its un-interrupted run into May). "Lie to Me" got roughly twice the ratings over Lone Star in the same timeslot (but it was facing lesser competition on NBC's "Trauma" in that 9 p.m. timeslot), so I think the Q-factor of Jimmy Wolk just isn't high enough at this time in his career to carry a show. This season, NBC is a bit stronger with "The Event" pulling in 3 million more sets of eyeballs than "Trauma" did last season at this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks