Lone Ranger - S1 & S2 on 11/11/08!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Steve...O, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Thanks for the update, David. It's good to know I wasn't going crazy. LOL

I am sorry that the time-compressed episodes are jumpy and warbly. But I'm guessing the positives will outweigh the negatives for me personally. I look forward to receiving my set.

Gary "thanks again for the update" O.

2. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Supporting Actor

Bob Gudera
    Good to hear the really short episodes really are not short. I ordered The Lone Ranger set earlier today. I don't have mountains of old favorite shows on VHS tapes. So it's about what's available now, and how much I liked the show determining when and if I buy.

So to obsess a little,Dave Com, what beginnings are they using? Most of the LR's on the Mill Creek sets had the opening from the color episodes in B&W. Same with the Rhino VHS set of fourth season episodes.

Are there three wheat field bumpers in every episode? When does the: "..With his faithful Indian companion Tonto...Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear.." intro start, or was that later? Any "Be with the Lone Ranger and Tonto next time" before the end credits.

Should not a time compressed episode still be 24 min? So some of these are time compressed and cut?

3. David Com

David Com Agent

To be honest, I'm not totally familiar with all of the various opens in the series. Haven't seen it in a number of years. That being said, the opens are definitely cut short, where a sponsor message would have come in.

There are no bumpers and no next time voiceovers.

Regarding time compression, these episodes originally ran between 25 and 26 minutes. By speeding up the film in the transfer process to video, the episodes now clock in between 22 and 23 minutes. But, you get missing frames which result in visual jumps, most visible when people are moving across the screen. Also, with the film running faster, the pitch of the audio has to be adjusted so that everyone doesn't sound like a chipmunk. There, you end up with a choppy, warbly sound as a result. Just got the set today, so I don't know how bad it is across the entire set. As I said, disappointing when compared to the episodes they didn't time compress. Those look great and you realize how good this set could have been.

4. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Supporting Actor

Bob Gudera
    Thanks for the speedy reply David. My set is backordered so it will be awhile before I see these.

On Classic Media's Sergeant Preston release, the prints really looked great for the most part and only one episode had an obvious cut. So I was expecting the same for the Lone Ranger.

5. BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman Supporting Actor

You have no reason to believe the amazon information is incorrect and yet, as shown by people who actually have the set, the amazon information (from a customer, not amazon) is incorrect. Apparently you do owe the company an apology for leaping to conclusions that were incorrect based on incorrect information. It's not so hard, really, just a simple "Oops, guess I should have not jumped to conclusions and said such nasty things about the company." The set is not edited according to posts here. Seems you can spend your hard earned money now and maybe not jump to conclusions next time - just wait until you get some solid information.[​IMG]

6. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    So rather than edited,these are time-compressed?

7. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny

Fine, I was wrong. [​IMG]

8. Carabimero

Carabimero Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alan
    To answer a question someone asked me a page back, my set did not have subtitles or close captions.

9. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny

Fine, I was wrong. [​IMG]

10. Carabimero

Supporter

Alan
    Anyone who can admit to being wrong (and do it with a smile!) deserves this membership card that came with my Lone Ranger set!

11. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    With over 315 posts, I'm bound to be wrong a few times [​IMG]

12. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

That would be me. Thank you very much.

Thanks also to everyone for the updated info that these are timesped and not cut. Most appreciated.

13. BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

14. David Com

David Com Agent

Just got the set yesterday, and was only able to randomly sample episodes, but some of the episodes were definitely not time compressed. Again, the episodes with the fuller run times on that Amazon list seem to be the ones without compression, although I did not have time to check them all.

Unfortunately, the majority of the episodes do seem to have the compression. And some chroma ringing to boot.

15. Carabimero

Supporter

Alan
    I'm glad I paid a little more than what I could have saved at DD and got this set on street day. I have been enjoying it all week as opposed to waiting for it. Worth every bit of $68.

16. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff
    Picked this up tonight at Sam's Club for around $72, they had lots of copies. As a few other posters have already confirmed, there are no episodes with 11-13 minute run times. There are quite a few 22-23 minute episodes, but the time compression is not distracting at all to me from what I've observed so far, and I've barely noticed any jumpiness in the picture or any warbling on the sound. In fact they look better than any syndicated TV print I've seen. And of course the 25 minute shows look amazing.

The sections immediately following the main title intro that used to say "Return with us now to the thrilling days of yesteryear" do appear to be removed from the episodes I glanced at. There is also a weird insertion of a close-up of the Lone Ranger sitting still on his horse inserted at the point in the main title intro when he's charging up the hill on his horse and the narrator says "...and a hearty hi-yo Silver", then it cuts back to the standard shot of him rearing up on Silver. I don't ever remember that shot being inserted in syndication, I always recall that it was a continuous shot of him riding up the hill and rearing up. It appears in all of the episodes I glanced at. No biggie, but it still struck me as odd.

Only other quibbles I have are that there don't appear to be chapter stops inserted, and the time counter for the episodes continue to accrue; they don't start at 00:00:00 at the beginning of each episode but instead have one continuous running time from the beginning of the first episode to the end of the last episode on the disc. Makes it difficult to figure out each show's running time.

The extras included in this set are plentiful and nicely crafted. The commemorative book in particular has a lot of material to go through. There is a bonus disc, a Season 1 and 2 episode guide, the 'signed' photo, the vintage comic book reproduction, the ID card, Victory Corps membership kit, Lone Ranger Safety Club postcard, and trading cards.

I was on the fence about this set for the last several days but several postings here (along with the great job Classic Media did on the Sergeant Preston sets I own) convinced me to take the plunge and I'm glad I did. It is a blast seeing these episodes again and retrieving some fond memories from my childhood in the process. I hope we get more seasons released from Classic Media, perhaps one next year for the 60th anniversary of the TV show.

Definitely recommended!

17. Carabimero

Supporter

Alan
    I think that insert shot that doesn't cut well in the opening title has always been there. My memory may be playing tricks, but I seem to remember it.

18. artbloch

artbloch Auditioning

I have been a fan of The Lone Ranger since a little boy in the 1950's.

During the late 1970's, my local TV station in Washington DC broadcast The Lone Ranger adventures during the late afternoon. I had recorded all of them on my Sony Betamax and enjoyed watching them. Unfortunately, my Betamax machine didn't last that long and some of the old tapes were starting to fall apart.

There was a series of the 4th year Lone Ranger shows which came out on VHS tapes a while back with two episodes on each tape with an introduction by Clayton Moore at the beginning which also included a bit of trivia on the show. I bought all of these tapes.

When in Los Angeles about 3 months ago, I went out to the old Iverson Movie Ranch area above Chatsworth California and visited the Lone Ranger Rock which, fortunately, is on public property and can easily be visited.

I was delighted to learn this week about the 75th anniversary DVD edition of The Lone Ranger which included seasons 1 and 2. I went to my local Best Buy and they matched the Walmart Price plus I had a $10 BB coupon which they also honored.

I have watched two episodes today and was very pleased with the quality of the actual programs. The only thing that I see that is objectionable is how they butchered the opening. They neither used the original opening nor did they use the syndicated opening.

The part which others have mentioned with the cut of the closeup of the Lone Ranger was part of the very early programs where they would superimpose the title of the episode. This is NOT how it is being used in these DVD's. The cut of the close up is just totally spliced in and out of place.

The syndicated version had the Ranger ride up to the rock and Silver would rear up. Silver would then come down on all fours and the Ranger would ride down the trail. We would hear Fred Foy announce "With his faithful Indian companion Tonto........." That part has not been included and the openings just seem to be missing a very important part of the program, and there is really no reason for that to be left out.

The closings just have the credits run where as the syndicated version would always say "Be with The Lone Ranger and Tonto next week........" and we would see the Ranger and Tonto ride off on a different trail from the opening and then the credits would run.

I think that I can live with the closings on these episodes, but the openings just seem to be lacking what I remember to be a very memorable opening to this TV show.

Other than that, it's a very nice set along with the booklet with all the great Lone Ranger information. Maybe if they choose to continue on with Season 3, 4 and 5 ... They can give us the complete opening to the show.

BTW: In the original opening when the program was first shown, we saw the wheat field in between when Silver rears up and when he comes down, There was a commercial shown at that time. The wheat field was also shown about midway through the program. I remember that the sponsor was General Mills cereals but also believe that Tootsie Roll may have been a sponsor too.

19. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff
    Thanks for the insight Art, and welcome to the HTF!

Nice to know there were a few of us that noticed that weird insert in the show's main titles, it didn't make any sense. It wasn't even inserted at the commercial break, and had no business being there, as the same shot was re-used moments later in the episodes where they show the episode title.

Again, not a major problem for me, but still rather annoying compared to the way I originally experienced the show. Overall, I'm still having a blast working my way through this set.

20. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Supporting Actor

Bob Gudera
    Thanks Art and Jeff for the additional info and impressions.

I think the insert close up being odd looking might be because, that for the John Hart episodes they edited Hart rearing up Silver into the Lone Ranger rock section. Then when Clayton Moore returned they edited Moore back in. Later when the show went into syndication they mixed and matched different front, LR rock, and end "..Faithful Indian companion.." parts openings from all the seasons.

I am still waiting for my set. One of the PD episodes on the Mill Creek Ranger set, shows the Ranger riding up to the LR rock, rearing up Silver and coming down in one smooth shot. Also on the Mill Creek set, the episode "The Renegades" is the most complete. It has a full opening seqence ending with "The Lone Ranger rides again" and the Ranger firing his gun into the camera. "Renegades" has two mid-break bumpers, an end of story bumper,and an early version of the "be with us next time" bit voiced by Gerald Mohr, instead of Fred Foy. Does "Renegades" have any of these on the 75th collection?

I just don't understand why they could not insert the full "with his faithful Indian companion Tonto...The Lone Ranger rides again!!" opening on every episode. They also cut this on the Rhino half-color season release. It's amazing to me how they don't understand how much that the full opening adds to the excitement and fun of the Lone Ranger.

Well after all this complaining, I am still eager to get the 75th Ann Collection of the Lone Ranger and hope for more Lone Ranger season releases.