Lola and Lost highway-P&S only?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, May 20, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I just happened to check both of these out at the store today, and noticed that both were P&S only releases. Lost highway actually said "P&S version" on the back (reasonably obvious) but the Run Lola Run disc just had the "Formatted to fit your screen" message in VERY small type. Are either of these discs available in Widescreen? I'd say that neither of these really counts as a mainstream film, and there's really no reason for them NOT to be available in their OAR.

2. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Lost Highway isn't available in widescreen at all on DVD in Region 1 and I'm not sure about other regions.

Run Lola Run was originally released up here in Canada by Seville Pictures in their pre OAR days. The US release by Columbia Tristar is in the films original aspect ratio. I believe the Columbia version is now available in Canada as well or you can import the US disc.

Hope this helps,

Mark

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

These are the Canadian versions. There is no US version of Lost Highway, but Run Lola Run is available in anamorphic widescreen from the US. The only reason they aren't OAR is because the Canadian licensor sucks.

4. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Jeff Ulmer said

5. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

R2 and R4 have this film on DVD in anamorphic widescreen. Apparently, the R4 looks better than the R2, but only has a DD2.0 track, whereas the R2 has a DD5.1 track. I understand rights issues have held up a release in the US.

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Okay, I'll rephrase that they sucked (past tense) then. That doesn't fix these two releases though.

7. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

8. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

When exactly can we expect Lost Highway in it's correct screen ratio?

9. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

10. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Patrick Larkin said

11. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Damn. USA was rumored to be releasing an SE of Lost Highway THIS YEAR. Universal had to go and buy USA.

12. Steven Phipps

Steven Phipps Stunt Coordinator

Steve Phipps
    Chris, it just so happened a friend of mine watched Mulholland Drive recently, and loved it. I told him about Lost Highway, but I did not think it was released on DVD yet. He won't care if it is WS or P&S. Could you tell me where you saw it? He also lives in Waterloo. Thanks!!

13. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Chris, you can get the Lola SE up here in Canada, I got mine at MusicWorld. It's most definitely widescreen [​IMG]

14. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Steven , I saw the lost highway disc at Steve's TV on Frederick St-good place to find discs (and a great place to rent em!).

15. Steven Phipps

Steven Phipps Stunt Coordinator

Steve Phipps
    Thanks alot Chris, I'll let him know!

16. Lawrence Davis

Lawrence Davis Stunt Coordinator

re: Lost Highway

17. roy_mark

roy_mark Extra

Despite the fact that it is not anamorphic, I find the japanese R2 to yield the most pleasing transfer in terms of colour balance and the aforementioned sound issue. The party scene in which the german R2 made fleshtones rather orange (as if to over compensate Robert Blake's white face to make that more "fleshy" coloured).

The framing of the Jap R2 also seems more correct as in all other versions, Patricia Arquette's name during the opening credit were slightly cropped whereas the jap R2 has room to spare.

Wonder if the UK R2 PAL release on 17/06 (via Universal UK) would be a barebones port of the Universal/USA film master or one of the existing PAL ports.

As this was my favourite film (piror) to Mulholland Drive, I desperate enough to have purchased every OAR version of the film on dvd, and so far the only one which I am happy with is the Japanese R2.

Versions I own(ed) so far by rank:

Japanese R2 (non anamorphic though)

Australian R4 (nice features)

French (transfer in between German R2 and Australian R4, still bright but more saturated BUT burned in subs)

Dutch R2 (same transfer as R4, nice interviews)

German R2 (BAD SOUND, worse than the Hong Kong Twin Peaks)

Italian (same transfer as the Dutch version)