What's new

Logitech Wireless Boombox for iPad/iPod/Iphone/Android: HTF REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
LOGITECH WIRELESS BOOMBOX [COLOR= rgb(0,0,205)]Reviewed by Ronald Epstein[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0,0,205)]November 2011[/COLOR]

When you think about it, there are so many devices that we own from tablets and smartphone to iPods that enable us to take our music just about anywhere we want to go. For that reason, companies have been aggressively marketing portable speakers for these bluetooth supported devices. Some are small enough to fit in your pocket, others are huge enough to entertain an entire ballroom. Logitech has been keeping in the forefront of the bluetooth revolution by releasing a handful of wireless speakers to fit a wide range of individual needs.

(Click on above photos for larger picture)

Their newest Wireless Boombox rests squarely in-between that of being a pocket or mammoth multi-room filling speaker. In fact, I would say that it's the perfect size for an intimate setting where you only need enough sound to fill a large office or bedroom. The boombox is probably powerful enough to host a living-room sized party though I didn't have the pleasure of testing it under those conditions.

(Click on above photos for larger picture)

The Logitech Wireless Boombox is lightweight and completely portable. The speaker is 15.6" wide x 4.7" high and 2.1" deep. Weighing in at just 2.5 pounds and with a bluetooth range of 33 feet it can be placed anywhere you want to enjoy music without having to run wires. All you need to do is walk into the room with your iPad, smartphone or iPod and select the music you want you play.

Don't mistake this boombox as being underpowered. Logitech has incorporated 8 speakers into their system. There are two 3" midrange/low-end drivers, two .05" tweeters for the highs, and four 2" passive radiators across the front and back that provide adequate low-level response. This unit is capable of filling a fairly large area with sound though this is certainly not meant as a multi-room listening system. Even when you want to push the volume capabilities of this boombox, it's rather impressive to find that you can do exactly that with the most minimal amount of distortion. Overall, this boombox provided a professional level of quality sound output.

(Click on photo for larger picture)

The Logitech Wireless Boombox supports devices with Bluetooth A2DP. This means just about any device will work wirelessly with this speaker including the iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and any Blackberry or Android device. And, in the rare instances where you just don't have a wireless device to transmit your music to, Logitech provides a short 3.5mm auxiliary cable which attaches directly to the rear of the unit. The bluetooth range is 33 feet, which is ample enough distance to allow you to control and listen to your music from across the room.

Upon turning on the unit for the very first time (I was surprised to find it was partially charged), the device instantly paired with my iPad and within a minute I was playing music. Outside of putting your accessory into "discoverable" mode, there isn't any kind of elaborate initial setup involved. The Boombox operates with either a supplied 6' AC power cord or on battery power. A NiMH battery comes already installed in the unit. When operated on battery power, Logitech suggests that you should get approximately 6 hours of usage before needing to recharge. Be aware that playing the unit at higher volume levels will significantly decrease battery time.

Though I was certainly impressed with the crisp highs and overall punch of the audio this boombox provides, I was a bit less enthusiastic about the low-end. To be honest, I thought the far smaller foxL bluetooth speaker packed better bass response than this Logitech unit and can literally fit inside your shirt pocket. The Logitech Boombox, however, certainly edges out in overall power, able to effectively fill a larger room with sound.

What would have really made a great speaker system even better is the inclusion of a microphone so that it could support incoming phone calls. Perhaps Logitech felt that it could better keep the cost down of this accessory by not including that feature.

Click on the above Video Review

Pros

* Portable enough to bring just about anywhere. Throw it in a suitcase or bring it to the beach

* 8 speaker system provides perfect balance of highs, mids and lows with minimal distortion

* Simple operation. Out of box and ready to play within minutes

Cons

* Little too bulky for the most effective travel portability
* No microphone for phone connectivity

* No carrying case included

[COLOR= #8b4513][SIZE= 24px]Final Thoughts[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I am very impressed with the professional audio quality that the Logitech Wireless Boombox provides. While being portable, it has enough power to fill a large room with a satisfying level of audio. Despite my initial opinions expressed on the YouTube video concerning my reservations about this boombox's ability to fill a room of partiers, the more I listen to the unit, the more I think it may just fulfill those needs after all. While the unit does provide nice "tight" bass response, I thought that it could have been a little bit "boomier" for my tastes. At a $150 price, the Logitech Wireless Boombox is worth your purchase consideration and probably ranks among the very best portable bluetooth speakers available on the market.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Interesting review. I'm not really interested in -anything- that doesn't charge as it plays, and having a separate battery powered device with an iPad is truly boggling to me, but still interesting.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam,

I am not 100% certain but I would think this unit
indeed charges as it plays when hooked up to A/C.

Perhaps that is not what you had meant with your

comment, not sure.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ron - Interesting product and interesting review. It's a bit pricey for how much I'd use it, but this might have a place in my house (garage speakers, or laundry room for my wife, or for use at a Toastmasters meeting). It reminds me of my "holistic" problem of audio in the house. Multiple sources, multiple speakers, multiple locations, but no unified solution. This wouldn't solve that, but might add another solution for various listening needs.

(I suggest the title be edited to say something like "...for iPad / iPhone / Android / Bluetooth". I came into the review thinking this was somehow specific to the iPad and wondering if it would work with an iPhone.)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

Good idea. I changed the title.

It's kind of odd how Logitech named this product.

On their site, they bill this as a Wireless Boombox for the iPad.

However, most other places selling it do not indicate that

it is made for the product.

It is confusing.

Ron

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
DaveF said:
It reminds me of my "holistic" problem of audio in the house. Multiple sources, multiple speakers, multiple locations, but no unified solution. This wouldn't solve that, but might add another solution for various listening needs.
I think I've solved this in my new house. I have purchased pre-installation whole house stereo setup, it has 3 inputs on the main floor, 1 in the basement theater and one that is local just to the master bedroom (tho you can select any of the other 4 from the bedroom as well). Stereo (Klipsh) speakers installed in the ceilings of 4 rooms (you could have done more, including an outside option which I skipped). Each room has it's own input selector and volume control. Won't know how well it works in practice until March but I'm very much looking forward to using it. So that's one option for you Dave, just get a whole new house.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks