What's new

Logitech SST-688 remote for Hughes HDVR2 (1 Viewer)

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone here use the Logitech Harmony SST-668 remote on the DirecTV Hughes HDVR2 (DTV with Tivo) ?

If so does it let you FF? How about 30 second skip?

What is the overall functionality versus the Hughes/Tivo peanut?

Any negative comments on this remote other then small buttons?

All info is appreciated before I plunk down a 160USD.

Thanks,

MikeS.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Get the 676 or 680 instead. Clearly better button layout than the 688.

Since it's a universal, of course it can do anything your original can do.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
With the Harmony's, anything that it can't, or doesn't, do with the default settings/button layout, you can tell to do by reassigning the function of buttons on the remote, or programming custom buttons into the LCD.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I am also looking at this remote to replace my Sony RM-AV3000. I can't stand the touch screen any longer and the codes are out dated.

Does the Harmony update their codes for future new products, such as DVR's and Cable boxes?

Is it hard to program?

Dean_S

Second Unit
The Harmony is the easiest remote to program. I has pleasantly surprized that Harmony had the codes for all my equipment even the new and more obscure pieces like the HD-Tivo, Onkyo CP802 Universal Changer, and Kenwood 7000 sirius tuner...all my other equipment is "normal". If the codes don't exist at Harmony then you learn them and Harmony stores them for other users...this will take longer if that happens but it's very easy to do if you have the OEM remote. I have the 688 and got it for $147 from newegg.com. At first I was a little disappointed with size of the buttons and how close together they are but after a few days I got used to it and decided to keep it instead of trading for a different Harmony remote.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I've been using the newest Kameleon and it works great with the DTivo HDVR2.

I like it because it already has all the Tivo buttons built in and you don't have to teach different no name button to do for example "Live TV" becuase the Kameleon already HAS that button.

For the price, it's well worth it.

Here's the review at remote central: KAMELEON

Sorry for the big pic, but wanted you to see the available Tivo type buttons...

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
The other cool thing with Harmony, if you purchase something that they don't have the codes for and you DON'T have the original remote (hardly ever going to happen), you call them and give them a model #. They guarantee that they will find 99% of these products within 7 days and have them ready for you to download.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
If I buy an older model, like the 680, will they still update the codes for new devices?

My main concern is that the remote will be out dated in a few years, if I get another piece of equipment.

Right now, I have my HDTV, reciever, DVD player and a Time Warner HD DVR box.

I need to get another universal remote because the Sony is hard to use and it doesn't support the HD DVR box.

It seems like the 688 has more buttons, but the 680 has a better layout. Will I miss those extra buttons for my HD DVR or future upgrades?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
- The 680 is not an "older model". It is their newest model.

- universal remotes like these never get outdated since they are learning remotes & can learn IR codes from your new equipment remote. They only run into trouble if the new equipment uses highly non-standard frequencies or protocols. For 99% of new equipment you'll always be able to learn or download from their website as long as Logitech/Harmony is still around.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I thought that the 688 was their newest model.

Which model do you prefer?

The 680 seems to have a better layout and the buttons are more spread apart.

MikeSh

Stunt Coordinator
So I bought the 688 and received it Friday. So far it is great. It was easy to setup on the web and then DL into the remote thru the USB cable provided.

So far the wife likes it. Easy to use for watching a DVD or the VCR.

I've asked a couple more questions in a new thread here, maybe you can help out there?

Thanks,

MikeS.

The 680 is one of the newest remotes. The difference (besides button layout) is that it is preprogrammed to immediately be able to control the Windows Media Center Operating System on your computer. In my opinion, the 659 would be a better choice unless you are a major geek and have a A/V setup with your home PC running that software.

I plan on just getting a D-Link Digital Media System to control my photos and mp3's on my home computer system. It's wireless and the Harmony will control the system (already checked that the codes are in the system.

My 688 should be here Friday or Monday.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I wouldn't agree about the 659. 676/680 are much better. Get the 676 if you don't have media center or a DVR, or maybe even if you do, just look at the pictures and pick the layout you like.

The 659 is missing chapter skip keys, and also has transport keys at the bottom which is less comfortable if you use those keys a lot. The 688 buttons are too small and run together, making it more difficult to use by feel.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
The chronology of the remotes, from newest to oldest is: 680, 676, 688 and 659. All four remotes have identical programming ability. The differences are in the button styles and layout. I agree with Stephen regarding the 688. While the 688 was originally designed for use with a PVR, it's button "strip" design makes the buttons harder to find by touch and the activity buttons a very small and too bunched together IMO. Anyone with a Tivo or other PVR should go with the 680. If you have a cable system that uses "A" and "B" buttons, the 676 would be a better fit. The 659 is fine for non-PVR users, as the chapter skip buttons appear on the LCD screen for use with a DVD player.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I simply programmed the "channel up" and "channel down" buttons on my 659 to be used as chapter skip buttons for my DVD player. It works great -- those channel buttons are not needed for normal DVD use anyway.

BTW, I am not a Tivo user.

Well, the verdict is in...

The Harmony 688 is everything and more that was expected. Even the wife loves it and she hated the home theater setup prior. Always saying, "Now what remote controls what?" and calling me at work wondering why the TV did not turn on or how to change the Input on the TV for the DVD player, etc.

With the activity buttons, it does everything for her. The in-laws are now really looking forward to using it too when they come for Christmas.

The wife LOVED the help function. My 3 year old son jumped in front of the TV IR sensor and the TV did not turn on. I told her to hit the "Help" button and answer the questions. Within 1 minute, she had it fixed and was watching TV. Her response. "I just feel like sending it a thank-you card."

You've got to love that.

As far as the buttons, I agree that they are on the smaller side, but after 4 days of playing with it, I pretty much have them memorized by touch and simply programmed some of the LCD buttons to do the functions that I use the most.

My inital set-up of the remote was about 20 minutes not including the 10 to 15 miutes during the Test Drive prior to purchase. I have spent another 1 - 1.5 hours playing and tweaking it just the way I want it. NOT because it did not work properly. I deleted some LCD commands because I either do not use them or my cable provider doesn't have them active for my digital cable box.

All in all, this is the best remote that I have ever owned and well worth the $160.00 I put out for it at Amazon.com.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I've been using the Harmony 688 for less than a week now and its a great remote. Its very easy to setup and tweak to your liking. Its hard to get use to of those small buttons, but once the buttons are broken in, its easier than any touch screen.

Harmony is a great product and I will never go back to the Sony RM-AV3000.

You can't go wrong with a Harmony remote.

I have a question for those who have been using their Harmony for a while, how long does a set of batteries last?

Dean_S

Second Unit
I've had my 688 for quite a few months now (4 months is my best guess), I use it daily and I did not change the "glow" settings so the light still comes on when I press anything except volume and channel. The original batteries are still going strong. Compare that to my HTM MX-500 which gets used less then 1/2 as often and I rarely use the backlight on this one yet it's already been thru one set of batteries in the same time window (the old ones went dead about a week after I got the Harmony and then dead again 2 weeks ago).

I know it has only been a few weeks, but I use it A LOT! I am still runnning on the initial set of batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks