What's new

Logitech introduces HARMONY ELITE remote. The Most Powerful Harmony Remote Yet (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Harmony-Elite_blog.png

Logitech Revamps Design with Most Powerful Harmony Remote Yet
New Layout Makes Home Control Even Easier
NEWARK, Calif. — Sept. 16, 2015Today Logitech (SIX: LOGN) (NASDAQ: LOGI) introduced the Logitech Harmony® Elite, its newest top-of-the-line universal remote. The Logitech Harmony Elite is the first Harmony remote designed from the ground up as a whole-home controller, with dedicated buttons for instant access to lighting and temperature controls and a new touch-screen UI that communicates the status of all home devices at a glance.

Harmony Elite keeps the best features from its predecessors, including a color touchscreen, motion sensing and vibration feedback, and support for up to 15 connected home products in addition to your entertainment devices, all while adding an improved button layout and a replaceable battery with 20 percent greater capacity.

Tweet now: Logitech designs the Logitech Harmony Elite for powerful and intuitive control over your entire smart home. Learn more: URL

“Logitech Harmony is already known as the best universal controller on the market for entertainment devices, but we wanted to take things a step further to make the layout more intuitive and inclusive of new smart home scenarios,” said Bruce Lancaster, general manager and vice president of Logitech Harmony. “We evolved the remote’s design using direct Harmony customer feedback to better fit how our customers use and want to use their remote. The result is a simple and elegant way to control your entire home. With the Logitech Harmony Elite, it becomes easy to do what you want.”

As with other hub-based Harmony remotes, you can manage your entire smart home with the Logitech Harmony Elite. Features such as one-touch Activities, gesture controls, motion-activated backlighting and custom Favorites coupled with an improved button layout and dedicated home control buttons mean navigating your entertainment and connected home is easier than ever. Plus, the included Logitech Harmony® Hub relays signals from the remote or the Harmony mobile app for iOS or Android™to all of your devices, so you can easily control devices inside closed cabinets, through walls or even when you’re away from home.

The Logitech Harmony Elite works with an ever-growing range of more than 270,000 popular home theater and connected home devices and brands, from HDTVs and streaming media players, to lights, thermostats, window shades and more. With the Logitech Harmony Elite remote, you can program and enjoy Activities, such as “Watch a Movie,” and all of the right devices – from your AV system to your smart lights and window shades – will instantly switch to your programmed settings.
Visit myharmony.com/compatibility for the most up-to-date list of compatible devices.

Pricing and Availability
The Logitech Harmony Elite is expected to be available in the U.S. and Canada beginning in September 2015 for a suggested retail price of $349.99. For more information, please visitLogitech.com, our blog, or connect with us onFacebook.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron,

How soon about the review? I'm asking because I want to buy something new for my HT and this remote might be it.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
That's a sweet lookin remote ..not to mention pricey. :)

I guess if you had a fully connected home it would be awesome to have.

But for me, I just need my 550 to "Watch Directv", "Play XBox" and power all items off at night, and it does it quite wel for less than $50.

:)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robert Crawford said:
Ron,

How soon about the review? I'm asking because I want to buy something new for my HT and this remote might be it.

Robert,

Logitech only shipped the remote out yesterday. I should have it today.

However, it will probably be at least two weeks before I post something.

A few thoughts...

I have reviewed just about every new remote Logitech has introduced over the past few years. It's safe to say that any remote you purchase from them is a sound investment. Their remotes are fantastic and I haven't had a bad one to date.

I do question whether you need the Harmony Elite.

Reason why I ask is that the Harmony Ultimate is probably lower priced and to date, is the best Harmony Remote I have tested. It is my absolute favorite of all the remotes I have used.

It seems the Elite ups the game by having dedicated buttons for lighting and other connected devices in your home.

This is great for me as I have Philips Hue lighting in my home theater and I have a Nest thermostat.

The Harmony Ultimate also controls these devices, but without the dedicated buttons. You just have to locate the devices on your screen.

Right now I am working without electricity (power is out in our town), tethered to my iPhone, so I can't really research what the price difference is between the Ultimate and Elite models.

If you don't need the dedicated buttons, the Ultimate is the way to go.

However, with the Elite, you certainly would be future-proofing yourself for any upgrades you may do if you plan to install compatible lighting or other connected devices.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It looks like this has more hard buttons that the previous Ultimate? That could be a winner for me!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Robert,

Logitech only shipped the remote out yesterday. I should have it today.

However, it will probably be at least two weeks before I post something.

A few thoughts...

I have reviewed just about every new remote Logitech has introduced over the past few years. It's safe to say that any remote you purchase from them is a sound investment. Their remotes are fantastic and I haven't had a bad one to date.

I do question whether you need the Harmony Elite.

Reason why I ask is that the Harmony Ultimate is probably lower priced and to date, is the best Harmony Remote I have tested. It is my absolute favorite of all the remotes I have used.

It seems the Elite ups the game by having dedicated buttons for lighting and other connected devices in your home.

This is great for me as I have Philips Hue lighting in my home theater and I have a Nest thermostat.

The Harmony Ultimate also controls these devices, but without the dedicated buttons. You just have to locate the devices on your screen.

Right now I am working without electricity (power is out in our town), tethered to my iPhone, so I can't really research what the price difference is between the Ultimate and Elite models.

If you don't need the dedicated buttons, the Ultimate is the way to go.

However, with the Elite, you certainly would be future-proofing yourself for any upgrades you may do if you plan to install compatible lighting or other connected devices.
Thanks Ron, I'll await your review.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Spent the morning setting up the new remote.

It was fairly easy, given the fact I already own the Harmony Ultimate. I simply migrated the settings over.

This isn't a full review. I wanted to post some initial thoughts as I know some of you are looking to possibly purchase this new remote.

I also know there is about a $70 price difference between the Ultimate and Elite.

Overall, both the Ultimate and Elite are exceptional remotes. Both, software wise, are similar. They boast nearly the same touch screen menus and commands. They also both feature gesture commands such as "tap" to pause or "swipe" to Fast Forward/Reverse.

The Elite is a little heavier than the Ultimate.

The biggest flaw I found with the Ultimate was splitting the buttons above and below the display screen. Seems like Logitech heard the complaint(s) and put all the buttons on the bottom and the screen squarely at the top.

What you are really getting with this remote are the additional hard buttons for supported devices. Here is a blurb from Logitech's site about those supported devices....

• Control connected home devices such as Philips Hue™ and LIFX lights, August™ smart locks, Nest® thermostats, Honeywell®, and more.
  • Works with SmartThingsSM, INSTEON®, and IFTTT smart home platforms.

I was able to sync with my Philips Hue lights. I simply press on one of the light switches to turn on/off. I then use the + or - keys to adjust brightness levels. On the Ultimate, I had to wade through screens to get to those commands.

My ultimate recommendation is to spend the money on the Elite model. I like the screen and button placement better. I think you are future proofing yourself for home lighting and other connectivity upgrades. I would highly recommend getting specialty lighting that you can control with the remote. So much better turning off lighting from the comfort of your home theater chair rather than getting up and doing it manually.

I should have a review up in a week or so.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ronald Epstein said:
Overall, both the Ultimate and Elite are exceptional remotes. Both, software wise, are similar. They boast nearly the same touch screen menus and commands. They also both feature gesture commands such as "tap" to pause or "swipe" to Fast Forward/Reverse.

The biggest flaw I found with the Ultimate was splitting the buttons above and below the display screen. Seems like Logitech heard the complaint(s) and put all the buttons on the bottom and the screen squarely at the top.
This is encouraging.

Ronald Epstein said:
What you are really getting with this remote are the additional hard buttons for supported devices. Here is a blurb from Logitech's site about those supported devices....

• Control connected home devices such as Philips Hue™ and LIFX lights, August™ smart locks, Nest® thermostats, Honeywell®, and more.

This I'm not sure about. Hopefully there are sufficient hard buttons for daily operation of a Tivo, Receiver, TV, and Blu-Ray. And hopefully the 'smart home' buttons don't get in the way or otherwise detract.

I'm looking forward to your review and your photos :) (Logitech's website is disappointingly devoid of information on this remote.)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Spent the morning setting up the new remote.

It was fairly easy, given the fact I already own the Harmony Ultimate. I simply migrated the settings over.

This isn't a full review. I wanted to post some initial thoughts as I know some of you are looking to possibly purchase this new remote.

I also know there is about a $70 price difference between the Ultimate and Elite.

The Elite is a little heavier than the Ultimate.

I was able to sync with my Philips Hue lights. I simply press on one of the light switches to turn on/off. I then use the + or - keys to adjust brightness levels. On the Ultimate, I had to wade through screens to get to those commands.

My ultimate recommendation is to spend the money on the Elite model. I like the screen and button placement better. I think you are future proofing yourself for home lighting and other connectivity upgrades. I would highly recommend getting specialty lighting that you can control with the remote. So much better turning off lighting from the comfort of your home theater chair rather than getting up and doing it manually.

I should have a review up in a week or so.
Thank you, I'll still wait on your full review, but at least I have something to think about now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Any more experiences or thoughts on the lighting control with the Harmony? I've got a home theater proposal which includes a URC MX 780 remote and programming. I'm happy with the Harmony and can't see any benefit from the URC line, especially if Harmony does lighting control now.

Can the Harmony do lighting "scenes",like turn down or turn up based on the activity? Or have push button control to raise or lower to easily change lighting independent of an Activity?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Oh, and does the harmony support wired IR relays, for use with components in a closet, where the table top relay puck isn't suitable?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

My answer would be "yes" and "yes" though I have not done either and I would just double-check the specs on the Logitech website.

The ELITE controls my lighting. I don't have it set up to specifically do lighting functions per activity, but I believe I remember support telling me it can be done. I simply just press the lighting on/off switch button on remote.

The ELITE (and other models using the hub) is supposed to be able to work with hidden components.

If you can't find the answers on the Logitech site, let me know, and I have access to their support team to get you an answer.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks. That gets me going for now. I need a little info before talking with a custom installer tomorrow that wants to sell me a URC system. I'm not completely opposed to URC, but I like my Harmony, and dollars to doughnuts, Harmony seems as good or better.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Personally, Dave, I would never buy a remote I have to manually program.

Yes, Logitech has to be programmed, but it's all done by typing in model numbers.

DO make certain the information I gave you is correct, though. I am pretty sure it does both things you want.

Jeff S in NJ

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Sumberg
Coming late into this thread, I also have the dilemma of having too many remotes. One for projector, AV receiver, Scientific Atlantic cable box/DVR, and Blu ray player.

It appears the "Ultimate One" remote would do all I need, and their online database says all my model numbers are supported.

So, the basic question is, does the remote support EVERY unique function that the original remotes have? And, if so, in an easy way?

The cable box remote for instance has some pretty unique buttons, like for channel guide, program info, "Optimum menu" (Cablevision), and so on. The Panasonic projector remote also has some unique one touch buttons.

I think $250 is worth it to me to only have to mess with one remote, but not unless it makes things easier, and doesn't add additional steps.

Can someone explain further? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks