What's new

Hardware Review Logitech Harmony Link Remote for the iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and Android: REVIEWED (1 Viewer)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Ron,
Haven't figured it out yet that much but like I want the tray to be opened after I hit watch a movie, etc. Also, I'd like to get particular buttons on a single page which i often use when watching, say...the cursor wheel, play, pause, eject, etc. Guess I can live with it so I might be keeping it.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Ron, Will the harmony link work with the PS3/XBOX for watching Blu-Rays/DVDs. You have suggested you can program macro functions that will power up Gaming Consoles. I use my PS3 as my Blu-Ray player, so this would be a big factor for deciding to buy.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Will,

I don't see why it would not work with your PS3. The only thing I am uncertain of is
whether you will get the standard PLAY, FF, RW, PAUSE, MENU buttons that you
would need to play Blu-rays.

My guess is....yes.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
Since your PS3 operates by bluetooth rather than ir, I believe you will have to purchase the Harmony PS3 controller as well, which will translate the ir commands from the Harmony Link to the Bluetooth commands the PS3 understands. I use the Harmony PS3 controller with my Harmony One.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I agree with Dennis on that.
Bw Amazon still has it for under $90 but ships in 1-3 months, yikes.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I have a question - my client is considering purchasing one of these for each room. Would he have to login to a different Harmony account within the smartphone app based on what room he was in?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Todd,

I *believe* you can program up to 7 devices.

Therefor, you do not need to have multiple accounts.

Of course, if both rooms have components that exceed
the amount that can be programmed, that is a problem.
I do not know if you can sign into more than a single account
with this app as you are automatically remembered every
time you visit.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I can control the stereo in the back of the house from the front usingthe wifi network, so the poster above is correct.
If you have to have multiple accounts to cover everything, it isn't too bad because on the iphone app, there is a page called CONNECT that has a one button login to any other Harmony Link on the network.

pritchettl

Auditioning
Real Name
larry pritchett
Just purchased a harmony 1100 with rf extender.
was able to understand the set up on the remote but some instruction for use the remote along with the rf extender is limited or not there.
Can't get the rf extender to work with my direct tv hddvr. three of my devices are inside a cabinet and tv along with new bose sound bar are on the mantle . wanted to use one remote and control everything and keep cabinets closed while using.
so far cannot get this all to work together and have requested a best buy tech (another 125.00) to come out and set it up for me.
now i see the harmony link on the web which i did not see at the store. i have two ipads and three iphones in the house.
my wife is concerned that if we are out and have our ipad & phones with us and my son wants to watch TV he will need one of the ipads or iphones. Can it work from an Ipod or other smart phone other than android?
can you have the system operate from any ipad / iphone which you have downloaded the app. so if my older son comes over and we are out can he just use his iphone to operate the tv?
trying to decide to take back the harmony 1100 and replace with the link system using my i pad products.
so far have about 500 tied up in the 1100 and seems the link can be operational for 99.00! big difference.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Larry,

Think you will probably be better off with the Harmony Link.

I can't say for certain as I am only using mine with two devices
(an iPhone and iPad), however it seems logical that you could
install the app in as many Apple or Android devices as you need
and operate your home theater as long as the username
and password is tied to it.

Let us know what you do.

pritchettl

Auditioning
Real Name
larry pritchett
Thanks, I assume the orginal remotes will still work for the devices should we have issues.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Just installed one for a client last week, and it is working great so far. The parents like the fact that they can control all of the devices in the rec room on their iPad or iPhone from just outside the Master Bedroom for when the kids have the TV too loud or won't go to bed on time.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I can't put the Link unit on the table in front of the TV, lest I have stray power cables all over the floor. And it looks like I would have to rig multiple IR blasters to put the Link into my A/V cabinet.
So for $25, I ordered a replacement battery and USB cable for my dead Harmony 890. I'll get it running again, and go the traditional universal remote route. Not as sexy as an iPad app, but certainly functional.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I agree, that is the BIG limitation with the Link. My client originally asked to install it in the living room, and when I realized the wires issue, as well as the IR blaster likely not having a long enough cable to even reach the components in the closet, we decided it was better to place the Link in the rec room and use a 900 in the living room.

Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill /t/318471/logitech-harmony-link-remote-for-the-ipad-iphone-ipod-touch-and-android-reviewed/30#post_3940424
I can't put the Link unit on the table in front of the TV, lest I have stray power cables all over the floor. And it looks like I would have to rig multiple IR blasters to put the Link into my A/V cabinet.
So for $25, I ordered a replacement battery and USB cable for my dead Harmony 890. I'll get it running again, and go the traditional universal remote route. Not as sexy as an iPad app, but certainly functional.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Having just bought an Ipad3, I will be buying this.
Didn't even know it existed.
Very cool.

AMCarter3

Auditioning
Real Name
Arthur Carter
Ron, has Logitech done anything to improve the "Link" system since you posted your review on it in early 2012? I have a Harmony 900 that works very well. And I'm just now learning about the Link system and am quite interested. However, after reading reviews on various websites (Amazon included), it sounds like this device has a ways to go before it is going to replace the ease of use and functionality of a 900. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts about the Link now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hi Arthur!
Welcome to the forum.
Okay, this is where I am at with Harmony Link....
I don't use it anymore. Reason being, I just don't use my iPad as much as I used to. It's far easier for me to reach for a handheld remote (Logitech Harmony) than it is to boot up my iPad and go to the Harmony Link app.
So, it's not particularly a matter of not being satisfied with the performance of Logitech Link -- but the convenience of using it.
That being said....
If you were going to buy a Logitech Handheld remote, I would guess it will cost you between $200-$250. The newest Handheld device Logitech has out is the Harmony Touch.
The Harmony Link is a much cheaper option. If you have an iPad, you can have this universal remote control for under $80. There is something to be said for that.
You can also install a free app on an iPhone or Android device which works with your Harmony Link. The phone apps are not as elaborate software wise, but it's kind of cool that you can pull the phone out of your pocket and control all your devices with a few button clicks.
I am not certain how much more Logitech has advanced the software since the original review. As I mentioned, I just haven't used it much since. Originally, I was quite pleased with the interface --- particularly for the program guide that was included for free.
I will boot up my iPad and see if any updates have been done for the Harmony Touch iPad app and get back to you tomorrow.
Let me know if you have any additional questions in the meantime. Keep in touch and let us know what you decided to purchase and how you like it.

AMCarter3

Auditioning
Real Name
Arthur Carter
Thanks for responding, Ron. As I mentioned in my message, I already have a Harmony 900 and like it (a lot). I was curious about the Link system since we usually do have an iPad around in the TV room. I was trying to learn if it actually works better than the 900, or if the complaints about it crashing and being very slow to load cable TV listings (we use Comcast) were still common.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am Sorry Arthur. I neglected to catch the fact that you already had a handheld Harmony remote. Personally, I think unless you have the money to burn then stay with what you already own as you will probably always grab that first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks