What's new

Logan's Run MPAA Rating (1 Viewer)

Clint

Stunt Coordinator
When it comes to nudity, America by global standards is considered very prudish.

By having an artificial rein on nudity when it comes to ratings on mainstream films, the MPAA indirectly helps the notion of "sex sells" by censoring.

Censored material sells itself because it is censored. We have sex-hungry Americans who can't get enough of this stuff since we want to see what others deem can't be shown.

If our culture was such that nudity was not a big deal, then commercial media will have to work harder to sensationalize and tantalizes the consumer.

As far as ratings are concern, ratings (new or otherwise) are still not going to prevent stupid fu@ked-up parents from taking their 5 year-olds to rated R movies. I still remember this one kid cowering under her seat and closing her ears, since her parents took her to go see "House on Hanted Hill" (1999). I doubt it was the kid's idea to go.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, this shows how inconsistant the MPAA has been with their rating system over the years, and how changing times show what changes in acceptibility. I seem to remember that you used to be able to have nudity in a PG film...

Personally, I think the rating system is next to useless. I mean, what differentiates, lets say, Almost Famous, which has very brief nudity and mention of drug use, and Blade II, which is violent and bloody? I mean, they are both R rated films, aren't they? Doesn't that mean that they should be equally offensive right? Wrong.

I'd like a rating system a little more like TV, where it actually describes the contents of the film, rather than some arbitrary letters which don't really tell me anything about the film. It is meaningless. I have to do some more research about a film to figure out what it actually contains, or maybe even screen it, to judge acceptability. Course, that kinda defeats the point.

Jason

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
come on. almost famous and airplane are about as bad content wise. but airplane is pg for language, sexual humor, rape, violence, drug, tobacco, and alchohol use and brief nudity. now the mpaa is saying that alchohol and tobacco is bad and should be used to determine ratings

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Woman In Red said:
Thank god, I just wish the MPAA would lighten up. Hopefully in a few years, a few younger members who know about society (not a bunch of uptight old men) will join the MPAA ratings board.

Danny Knapp

Stunt Coordinator
but airplane is pg for language, sexual humor, rape, violence, drug, tobacco, and alchohol use and brief nudity
Airplane! has rape in it? I have this on DVD and have seen it numerous times. I recall all the other bad things...but rape???
It is weird though, there is so much in that movie and it's PG. But to backpeddle again and again...ratings aren't perfect. And I forget when PG-13 was made.
Frankly, if you're a parent, see the movie first and THEN let your child see it. Letting your child into movies you know nothing about is like letting them watch Howard Stern throw bagels at a woman's ass. As a parent YOU must enforce morals and rules.
-OR-
Read an in-depth review of it! (Come on people, we have the internet, USE IT!)
Back to the issue at hand, Logan's Run does have alot of sexuality in it. I like it though. I thought it was a fantastic film. The MPAA rating? Who cares! We're all old enough! Woo hoo!! :)

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
the rape scene is where the auto piolit is grabing on to the female pilots breasts. but of course, in this case at least, they did it for laughs and hoped that the mpaa did not notice it.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
From what I understand, the Logan's Run dvd is as uncut as the theatrical version was. There were apparently several scenes (well, 3 at least I think) that didn't make it to the theaters. Even the Love Shop scene, which is on the dvd, was edited before LR went to theaters. This is talked about in the commentary, and also is mentioned in the liner notes of Film Score Monthly's new Link Removed which includes Jerry Goldsmith's full track from the edited scene.
The dvd is a SE, and, in addition to the commentary by star Michael York, director Michael Anderson and costume designer Bill Thomas (yeah, don't laugh so hard, he actually made quite a few interesting comments), we get a period production report called A Look Into the 23rd Century which runs about 15 or 20 minutes I think, and the movie soundtrack is remastered in 5.1, and a theatrical trailer.
This movie begs, cries out for a new SE. The print used for the dvd could use some serious cleaning up. I think the colors and contrast look great, and edge definition looks fine, so I have no problem with the transfer itself, it's just that the print has several artifacts that it looks like they spent no effort whatsoever to clean it up. Also, with all the cut scenes I'm hearing about in the commentary and in those cd liner notes, I would be estatic if somebody had them safely tucked away somewhere and made them available for inclusion on a new dvd.
Can you tell, I love this film!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks