What's new

Local Circuit City store has Sony *CD* changer in SACD kiosk! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Piers,
Absolutely. The Miles Davis In A Silent Way SACD is playing as I type. Awesome! :)
Ira,
I agree with everything you said. It would be nice to see that convergence of DVD-Audio and SACD on both the hardware and software sides of the equation.
The Stones SACDs are available everywhere, as they replaced the original ABCKO CDs. Of course, the packaging for the Stones discs makes no mention of SACD. Regardless, a lot of people who have never heard of SACD now have SACDs in their music collection. They probably still don't know it, though.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
There was. Just 10 feet away, there was a DVD-Audio kiosk. It had a silver Panasonic 'CP72 DVD-Audio changer connected to a silver Panasonic receiver. A disc was playing at the DVD-Audio kiosk, but I didn't listen closely. I just looked through the selection of DVD-Audio discs, which was scant. The price was good, though, at $14.99 each.
Just got back from my local CC buying "Spiderman" for $14.99 when I saw the CC DVDA kiosk in the rear of the store.

I thought the set-up was intelligent and had a nice little program that you could watch on a small screen.
They went through the difference from Stereo to Full Multi-Channel sound. Anyone listening to this demo would have to be impressed.
Much better than the Sony SACD demo which you had to press a button and then it would go off in 10 seconds.

The sound quality of the Panasonic matched with Polk speakers was pretty good.

They only had handful of titles but they were the big ones (Rumors/ ELP/ The Corrs/ Eagles/ EC etc..)

I see that CC has changed the look of the store. Much better sightlines and the HDTV's are easier to compare.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, I too have noticed that the volume on the SACD kiosks comes down very quickly. It's stupid. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Oh yeah, the Sony SACD kiosk had no player or any electronics set up.
The SACD's in the racks had a inch of dust on them.

I should ask if they'll ever blow out the discs at a discount at some point.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, that is pathetic. Tell them that you will take some SACDs off their hands for $10 each. They should be thrilled to find someone who will take them. ;)
Circuit City really did a lousy job with SACD. For one thing, they priced the discs a few bucks higher than Best Buy. Secondly, even from the beginning, Circuit City's selection was poor relative to Best Buy's. Thirdly, Circuit City stores in my area stopped getting new titles around March or April. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, I doubt it will work, but I would be interested to hear their reaction. They will probably give you the standard line that they do not have the freedom to assign clearance prices to items, which is true. That comes from the corporate office.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks