What's new

Live Aid finally gets DVD release [posted 3/8/2004] (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for printing the list - now I really know I don't need it. Besides the absence of The Pretenders and Led Zeppelin, there are songs missing that I (only speaking for myself personally) wanted to see:

The Sky Is Crying (George Thorogood)
Drive (The Cars)
Ballad of Hollis Brown (Bob Dylan)
Neil Young (the rest of his set)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

IIRC, HBO didn't air a full concert. I recall it as more of a compilation, and it also showed the performers in different locations. I remember being really disappointed that it only included a selection of songs and not the whole show...

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
A couple of things:

(1) the list is far from complete - there are lots of artists missing. E.g. where are The Beach Boys or Elton John (he did a duet with George Michael and a storming version of 'Can I Get A Witness?').

(2) I don't think the U2 entry is a misprint. As I recall it, they went into a long medley, and I think one title has been given to cover this.

(3) I think that where there's an incomplete list of songs for an artist, it probably is either a misprint or (in e.g. The Who's case) the sound or vision is beyond redemption. I can't believe that a songwriter would withold permission to use a song (can you imagine the negative publicity?)

(4) Going back to artists witholding performances: this is the best impetus I can think of for bootleggers to release a DVD with all the missing performances on. Please note I'm not advocating this (far from it). However, LZ fans in particular are avid collectors (if there was a recording of Jimmy Page clipping his toenails they'd probably buy it). Acts that don't appear can expect to be on the unofficial 'Live Aid - The Acts They Missed' (or similar) which should appear at dodgy stores and car boot sales near you approximately 0.0000000001 seconds after the official release. Thereby creating the very problem that Bob Geldof was trying to avoid in the first place.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

But why not call it "Bad", which is the main song from which all the others came? According to the U2 sites I visited, they did two songs at Live Aid: "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "Bad". The latter ran very long with all the snippets from other songs in it.

Personally, I think this setlist is very suspect and people are taking it too seriously. It's not official, so why treat it as such?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Emphasis mine. This list is unsourced. I suspect it's just some guy's guess, and not a particularly good one at that.

Why don't we wait until we have an OFFICIAL list from either Warner or a trusted reviewer before we start in on all the wailing & teeth-gnashing??

Sheesh!! :rolleyes

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Personally, IMHO TSRTS is a master quality performance compared to what Zep did at Live Aid.

I do feel it should be included for its historic significance, but trust me on this one....you will watch it once and never again, or maybe more than once to show someone how bad it really was.

I think I have it on an audio cassette dubbed from the actual broadcast, and will have to give it another listen, but my memory of it is that it was embarrassingly bad.

That said, seeing them together at that point in time did cause goosebumps, but that was more of an emotional thing then anything to do with the performance.

BGL

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
After looking through the so called "rumored" list I believe The Power Station (Duran Duran spin-off) did perform a couple songs during the telecast. I don't even see them listed yet? Prince did release a video as did David Bowie & Mick Jagger who performed "Dancing in the Streets" and Sammy Hagar was also announced during the event as the new lead singer for Van Halen after he finished playing a set of songs with his own band earlier that day.

I hope the whole days events minus those few acts copping out are gonna fit on 4 discs properly.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I don't agree. What I'd do is put the entire concert on once every year or two, watch the whole show straight through as we go from one act to another, and enjoy seeing Zeppelin as one of the more important acts later into the festivities. Everyone's together, contributing, being together and making music for a cause. Quality of any of these artists' performances is not even the slightest issue for me. It's the novelty, the history, the event.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
If Dylan's on the set then I'll buy it. I know it's one of his worst performances but I'm a die-hard fan and want it in my collection even though I already own it on CD, VHS, DVD-R and God knows what else. Dylan has always been good letting his performances be released for charity so I'd be shocked if he wasn't on the set.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Exactly: isn't the event named Live Aid for a reason? I am not a fan of LZ or Dylan, but I would like to see the entire show, start to finish, "warts and all" (that means no overdubs Paul McC!)

Did anyone not donate during the original broadcast because the performances had glitches in them?...I doubt it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Why is anyone still bothering to pay attention to the "setlist" posted at the one site? It's clearly bogus. It's absolute nonsense - it claims that the DVD will include songs that weren't even played at Live Aid!

Gotta love the Internet - more crap information gets treated as gospel than anywhere else...

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member

Did all of the original MTV VJ's have a hand in it? I seem to remember Mark Goodman and Martha Quinn very clearly (my VHS copy of U2 and Queen's performances from the original broadcast is MIA, so I can't check!), but I'm less sure about Nina, Alan and JJ.

BTW, I didn't realize that JJ died.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Queen were introduced on stage by Smith and Jones (a very popular Brit comedy duo at the time, but I guess not quite so well known in the USA). They came on dressed as policemen to say that there had been a complaint about the noise levels - from a lady in Belgium. They then introduced Queen, with Mel Smith acting as a stupid copper who thought that Queen Elizabeth had just arrived.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks