What's new

Blu-ray Review Little Shop of Horrors Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I finally had time to watch it.
Firstwatched theatrical and felt about the same as I always have and that wasn't much.
Then watched the ending of the intended cut and fell in love with it.
That ending is brilliant and the reprise as Oz called it of the song Audrey sings as she is dying is beautiful and heart breaking.
It's been so long since I watched the theatrical that I forgot how it ended and I was thinking
It was very much like the love conquers all version of Brazil. Then during the Dir cut commentary Oz said the
Person who did the special effects work here also did the effects work Brazil.
I really would have liked a more extensive feature on the plant because it was, to me
Some of the best puppetry work I have ever see in a movie.
The movements of Audrey 2 synced with Levi was perfect.
The only way I figured they could get the mouth and head to move the way it did was to record
In regular speed then speed up the film to make it move at normal speed.
It was clearly not stop motion or animated so there didn't seem to be anyother way to do it.
So they would have to record Levi talking or singing slowly too.
Finally listening to the commentary Oz did this to some extent but he also recorded at a slower frame rate then sped it up to look normal.
Anyway loved it.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Powell&Pressburger said:
Awesome release it deserves to be recognized. :)
I agree with this opinion and sentiment, but 2012 has featured fantastic releases (with spectacular transfers) of more than three of my all-time top 20 films, so I simply don't have nomination room to spare for what, for me, is a great, but not top 20, movie. This is the home theater version of "first-world problems". :D

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Understandable it was a good year. Just don't want Little Shops BLU release forgotten esp since time and I would assume a lot of money went into the release. Lawrence of Arabia is the release of the year IMO but for a catalog title Little Shop should get a mention.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Powell&Pressburger said:
It deserves to be nominated since WB's went above and beyond with the BLU release. We were even given the infamous Original ending in Color restored! Awesome release it deserves to be recognized. :)
I am really appreciative that Warner went through the effort to reconstruct the original ending of the film, but when we're talking about a studio that put out the "Blade Runner" set, "above and beyond" is set at a high bar. I was seriously disappointed that nobody considered searching for more deleted footage from the film (including a shortened musical number), but found it perfectly acceptable to misleadingly tease a compilation of bloopers/outtakes as "deleted scenes" in marketing materials. It stings even more now that a tape copy of a workprint has turned up with about eight to ten minutes of alternate or deleted footage in addition to that original ending. As Warner put all their budget and promotional push into this release, the chances of ever pulling additional raw takes out of the vault to reconstruct deleted scenes is pretty much nil.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
bryan4999 said:
Ha! Ha! Very true. And I do like the part where
the plant comes thru the screen at the very end. When I saw the live show at The Westwood Playhouse, they dropped vines from the ceiling onto the audience during the cutain call for a similar effect.
Extremely late to the party here, I know, but having just watched the director's cut tonight, that final shot was probably the only thing I really liked about it, they should have kept that. The rest was interesting, but the shift from musical to full-on b-movie with Godzilla-like plants moving through NY, and through brick walls, time and time again, came with a grinding of gears that was almost painful; I like the idea, but the execution didn't work for me at all.
But I'm glad to have seen it, finally, and that it is available on blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks