What's new

Little known movies or cult movies I want on DVD (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Sort of doing this the other way round (or the confusing way). Now if I had read about this film before I found out something on the BBFC website today, I would have suggested this for release on DVD. The BBFC added a new listing to their website today for a Jeff Daniels film called Chasing Sleep. As it was the first time it had been passed by the BBFC, my first thought was that it was a new film. After checking the IMDb it turns out it is a film from 2000. It's being released by Studio Canal and appears to be it's UK home format debut (wasn't passed for a cinema and VHS release, unless it was under an alternative title).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Is Gemini Affair (1975) stuck in rights limbo? The production company for the film was Matt Climber Productions and distributed (doesn't state where on the film's IMDb company credits page) by Moonstone Entertainment.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Matt Cimber was indeed very invaluable to exploitation in the 70s/80s. The only 2 of his films to receive semilegit dvd releases were YELLOW HAIR...(thru Crown and BCI) and his most famous-BUTTERFLY. THE GEMINI AFFAIR had a brief vhs life-and I was absorbed in it. It deserves dvd exposure. Star Marta Kristen has another obscurity-1974's ONCE with Christopher Mitchum that has never seen the light of day outside a theater. When I had the absolute pleasure of Mr. Mitchum contacting me a few years back that he had won a Magnetic release of SUMMERTIME KILLER from me on Ebay (I gave it to him for nothing)-he inquired if I knew how he could get his hands on ONCE. I tried-but couldnt find it anywhere. If anyone has even seen this true obscurity-I'd be interested to know.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Some more suggestions for slasher films to be released on DVD:

Next of Kin (1984)
The Playbird Murders (1978).

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
WaveCrest said:
Some more suggestions for slasher films to be released on DVD:
Next of Kin (1984)
The Playbird Murders (1978).
Hey, Richard, you don't, by any chance, happen to work as a "field tester" for some of these DVD labels, do you? Every time you suggest a title it seems to be announced shortly thereafter :D You know, Code Red, for instance, pays you to "suggest" a title to throw out there, see if there's any interest, drum up some excitement, etc. Can you suggest the granddaddy (IMO) of all slasher movies, THE MUTILATOR? See if anyone bites besides me.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by elDomenechHTF /t/184729/little-known-movies-or-cult-movies-i-want-on-dvd/30#post_3868423
Hey, Richard, you don't, by any chance, happen to work as a "field tester" for some of these DVD labels, do you? Every time you suggest a title it seems to be announced shortly thereafter You know, Code Red, for instance, pays you to "suggest" a title to throw out there, see if there's any interest, drum up some excitement, etc. Can you suggest the granddaddy (IMO) of all slasher movies, THE MUTILATOR? See if anyone bites besides me.
Nope. Am a normal member of the public. If titles are announced, it's a simply a coincidence. Like that description though, "field tester". Am interested in films and suggest from time to time titles which I'd like to see re-released and released on DVD (and Blu-ray).

Would like to suggest The Mutilator (1985) for release on DVD.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
Whatever happened to SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE with Angela Lansbury and Michael York? A pitch black comedy directed by Harold Prince.

walter o

Supporting Actor
kagemusha98 said:
Whatever happened to SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE with Angela Lansbury and Michael York? A pitch black comedy directed by Harold Prince.
Paramount should control that title, as it is a CBS film.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE may also be , like DARKER THAN AMBER-a WB Archive release. DTA also was a Cinema Center film released through National General to theaters -as was SOMNETHING FOR EVERONE.
SOMETHING is rarely seen but is a classic of its kind. A sort of DOWN AND OUT IN BEVERLY HILLS (itself a takeoff on BONDU). I hope WB hasthis-it will be easier to see than if Paramnount controlled it.
Where is the rights splitting on Cinema Center/NGP? They have a very exploitable library.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Some suggestions for release on DVD:

The Hang Up (1970)
La maison sous les arbres (aka The Deadly Trap and Death Scream) (1971) - stars Faye Dunaway, Frank Langella and Barbara Parkins).

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
WHITE OF THE EYE looks to be coming from Arrow UK. Region B I'd imagine but perhaps plans are afoot in the US, too.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
COME BACK TO THE FIVE AND DIME, JIMMY DEAN, JIMMY DEANSPLIT IMAGEPRIVATE PARTS (1972, Blu-ray)LIGHT FANTASTIC (1964)THE INCIDENTUNHOLY ROLLERS (maybe from Shout at the end of 2013)A VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE (1957)GIRLS TOWN (1959)THIEF OF BAGHDAD (1961)THE MINOTAUR (1960)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The Great Man: supposedly a Citizen Kane type movie, looking at the life of a recently deceased celebrity hated by everyone who knew him but loved by people who had never met him! I've never seen this film and I want to!

The Hell With Heroes: this Universal film has been M. I. A. for decades. Rumour has it there is a copyright problem but that has never been confirmed. Come on, Universal: if you won't release the film, at least tell us why not!

The Sweet Ride: a forgotten film about beach bums in Sunny Cal starring Anthony Franciosa, Jacqueline Bisset and Michael Sarrazin, with a screenplay by Tom Mankiewicz. I have no idea why this film has disappeared. As Jacqueline Bisset's character loses her bikini top in the surf, I'd have thought that alone would have given the movie some commercial appeal.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Blood Beach.Btw many films listed in this topic have come to DVD and blurry.Someone should do an update.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Robin9 said:
The Great Man: supposedly a Citizen Kane type movie, looking at the life of a recently deceased celebrity hated by everyone who knew him but loved by people who had never met him! I've never seen this film and I want to!

The Hell With Heroes: this Universal film has been M. I. A. for decades. Rumour has it there is a copyright problem but that has never been confirmed. Come on, Universal: if you won't release the film, at least tell us why not!

The Sweet Ride: a forgotten film about beach bums in Sunny Cal starring Anthony Franciosa, Jacqueline Bisset and Michael Sarrazin, with a screenplay by Tom Mankiewicz. I have no idea why this film has disappeared. As Jacqueline Bisset's character loses her bikini top in the surf, I'd have thought that alone would have given the movie some commercial appeal.
"The Great Man" is about Arthur Godfrey. Allegedly.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I never heard of A Great Man but sounds interesting. Isn't A Face In The Crowd also Godfrey?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks