What's new

Little House on the Prairie: Pilot, Season 1, and Season 2 are all in July! (1 Viewer)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I'm curious what are the single disc releases? are they just episodes from the first two season's, perhaps two parter episode's that were combined? I realize the Pilot you have to buy seperately, but looking at episode guides for little house i see no mention of the single releases anywhere that's why i ask. I figure if i was to buy the season sets i won't need them if that's the case :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
At least one of them--I'll Be Waving As You Drive Away--is either a two-parter or a long episode from seasons later than 1 and 2 (in the other thread, I believe I had the exact information). Since these are being released as season sets, I don't think you'll be expected to buy them separately. At a guess, they're for more casual fans who want some key, favorite episodes, but not the entire run.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Aryn, here's a thread with more information:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=144527

Ben_D: if you're reading this thread, could you provide specific lines of dialog cut from Country Girls? Maybe we could get David to check those for us if you do. Or, if I end up finding the set tomorrow, I could do it.

What's interesting is that, according to the latest Little House update on TVshowsonDVD.com the insert advertises seasons 3 and 4 as uncut! Maybe the rep who e-mailed Ben was mistaken about these initial sets.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
You're welcome. Hope that information helps.

I got season one today, I believe at the same chain from which you got yours, David. :) Strangely, they only had season one. No big deal, as I only planned to buy the first one today. I hope they have the second season and the pilot next week, though. I haven't had a chance to watch the discs yet, but the package is impressive so far. For those who haven't seen the packaging yet, it's basically the Star Trek: TNG interior packaging inside a slipcase instead of a box. It's nowhere as cool as the Deep Space Nine packaging (nor as sturdy), but it works fine. I really like the panoramic image under the discs, and the insert looks pretty informative as an episode guide. One very encouraging sign in regards to how much care went into this set is the fact that four episodes are put on most discs (as is done with the Trek discs), but the disc with a two-hour episode is paired with only two additional episodes. They could have just said to hell with quality and shoved three other episodes on there, but they didn't do that. Also, the back of the packaging again says the episodes are uncut. I don't know if I'll be able to tell for sure by watching, but it's a hopeful sign.

Got the same price as David.

Ben_D

Agent
I have gotten my sets also, from the same store, I believe. Country Girls is uncut. So far I have watched the first eight episodes of season one, and only one is cut (Town Party, Country Party. They cut a scene w/ Laura in the washtub which feautured full frontal nudity! Of Melissa Gilbert, at age nine. Perhaps this is why??) Anyway, so far no other ep has been cut......unless you count the opening theme. Opening themes are not included for any eps. They use a generic version of the Season One theme for the first ep on every disc in both seasons, it appears.

Still I don't see much to complain about...yet.

The rep from the company had said the stand-alone episodes will indeed be included in the future season sets, so I guess the stand-alones are just for ravenous fans who can't wait for seasons three and four. She said they definitely intend to release all nine seasons, although I assume sales success will determine whether that happens...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks, Ben. Good news about the uncut episodes. I am tempted to complain about the theme not being attached to every episode, but it really wouldn't make much sense. I used to record Little House every morning, and I would almost always skip the intro. This'll be the equivalent of that. As long as it's there once, I guess it's okay. I have to see little Lindsay (or is it Sidney?) Greenbush fall down at least every once in a while, or it isn't Little House! :p) If it was the equivalent of Star Trek where you get an intro scene, the title sequence, and on to the episode, it would be a problem.

I assume they will release the follow-up movies as well when the time comes. I hope so, because the station that broadcasts the episodes in my area never plays them.

Jo_C

Second Unit
Someone mentioned that a scene in "Town Party, Country Party" is cut (Laura full frontal nudity). I think it was an attempt to be politically correct in these current times.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have confirmation that scene was originally there? IMDB and epguides don't mention it.

Ben_D

Agent
I've seen it. Laura's in the tub washing up for the party, Charles comes along and tells her to wash behind her ears, then Ma helps her out and Carrie winds up in the tub w/ the dog. If this is the only scene they cut from the whole series, I can live with it. The Goodtimes videos were missing tons of scenes and parts of scenes.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
too bad the original opening isn't there for every episode...that episode's guest stars were always credited at the beginning.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I haven't watched the set yet, and don't know if you're responding from hands-on experience with the set, Scott, but here's how it works in syndication: the standard title sequence plays, with only the main actors credited (I think this sequence remained unchanged until the very last season--with the exception of the Little House Years retrospective movie). After it's done, commercials. And then, the show starts up. This is where the episode title, cast and crew credits appear. If this part has been excised, I'm afraid the set is worthless. From what Ben has said, I don't think that's the case. I hope you're just guessing. :D Ah, heck. I'll throw on one of the discs right cheer and find out.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
You're right, Scott. The credits aren't there. :frowning: Not even Ernest Borgnine for the Lord Is My Shepherd episode. But, since I was remembering wrong, at least it doesn't affect the "back from the commercials" segment.

I can't judge the set yet--some of the images I'm seeing look better than I remember--but it does seem to have a real digital look for opticals. What look like compression artifacts around the words, and the like.

One thing people will appreciate: a Play All feature. That's not how I like to watch TV boxes, but I know a lot of people do.

Lastly, Lord Is My Shepherd was a two-hour episode according to episode guides. Here, it's a two-parter. I guess with title sequences gone, it'll flow correctly enough.

Ben_D

Agent
In early years, guest stars were listed over the opening theme credits. Later (either season five or six on) the guest stars were added to the beginning of the actual episode instead.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
I saw this tonight at what I'm sure is the same store, for the $39.99 price. Although my wife has been waiting a long time for these, she was fine with keeping our pre-order with Deep Discount for $29.99 each, $4.95 shipping.

Chris

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
A popular chain will be selling these for the $39.99 price next week, but "buy both and save 25%" (see the Weekly Roundup this coming Sunday for exact details). That works out to $29.99 each! :eek:

If you bought these from a street-date breaker, you may want to be prepared to return them and re-buy on Tuesday at the cheaper price. Why, if the discounting store has them on the shelf on Sunday, then I suppose they'll have to honor that price, eh? :cool:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
David, based on your experience in retail stores, is there any way I can just bring my receipt and have them give me the discount plus a little off on season 2? It seems a waste for them to have to send back a perfectly good box when I just need a better price.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Greg, any response I gave would be a "YMMV" response anyway. Use whatever approach you feel is right for the people you are dealing with.

This morning I sat down and watched Season 1, Disc 1 from beginning to end with my wife. The stories moved us to tears from start to finish. Such wonderful writing. Picture was definately good enough to enjoy these stories. If you're a fan at all, or want to be, don't let any of the few negatives stop you. VERY enjoyable to own! Esp. at the sale price I mentioned of $29.99 per season set...it's a bargain!!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've only watched the first episode so far, and the picture quality was quite nice for the most part. A few problems here and there, but I do believe the color and detail were better than in syndication. When you look at it as a TV show from 1974 that has probably taken a beating over the years--if films as recent as the Godfather are in danger, I can only imagine TV masters were handled even more carelessly--it looks excellent.

David, I think I'll take my receipt in and see if I can't keep my set and get the lower price. If that doesn't work, I'll go the return route.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.