What's new

Little House on the Prairie: building the best possible collection (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
well now that i have the last season in hand, think that Lionsgate would be willing to help fund and release another NBC/Universal title and see it all the way through on blu ray?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yup. I just got back from a short vacation to find the Season 9 Blus in my pile of mail. :thumbsup: Thanks, Lionsgate! (Now...what-to-do with those Season 7 DVDs I purchased...)

Yes, season 8 has some clunkers.
But I just watched 'The Legacy', and can tell you it is without a doubt one of my favorite episodes of the series. Now in my top 5 episodes of the entire run.

And this is why they still make both chocolate and vanilla, Bryan. As much as I like the "idea" of "The Legacy," I couldn't get past the fact that Charles strayed so dramatically far from the core of his being--that is, simply put, to put God and family first and think that, somehow, moving far away in order to make a few bucks was what he needed to do to cement his legacy.

And of all the episodes that could have benefited from a Melissa Guilbert voiceover at the end, that one would have been it...as Laura (who went on to write the Little House books of course) could have explained how his legacy would be cemented for generations to come because of the effect he had on her.

But straying so far from his core beliefs and having to--at episode's end--thank Caroline for helping him see things clearly just defied my whole understanding of the character of Charles Ingalls. Great story idea in examining the conflicts between how we can value our individual legacies...but poorly executed here. It was much better realized in Harvest of Friends.

The Legacy gets a thumbs down from me. :thumbsdown:

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Just watched The Godsister last night and it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd remembered it. The Carrie stuff was pretty goofy, but it did give the twins more lines than they had in the entire rest of the series! I really liked the Charles/Jonathan telephone pole part. Besides, Dolph Sweet was always one of my favorites and he gives a great performance as the foreman. I also forgot that this was an extended episode. Once again, the quality of these prints is outstanding.

chrislong2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Just watched The Godsister last night and it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd remembered it. The Carrie stuff was pretty goofy, but it did give the twins more lines than they had in the entire rest of the series! I really liked the Charles/Jonathan telephone pole part. Besides, Dolph Sweet was always one of my favorites and he gives a great performance as the foreman. I also forgot that this was an extended episode. Once again, the quality of these prints is outstanding.

Yeah, Godsister isn't that bad really - you just have to fast-forward through the Carrie stuff. But even if you don't, even it, for some reason, comes across somewhat better and more enjoyable now that it's in HD. :) And you're right: At least they got to talk in that episode - although it would seem that based on their performance it explains why they weren't asked to do so much again. ;) But I'd watch the Godsister anyday over the ultra-depressing and creepy Sylvia or May We Make Them Proud.

Also, speaking of things not being as bad as one remembers: I've been watching S9 and although I never was one of those that hated the season, I have found it a lot more enjoyable than I remembered. With the exception of one episode (Rage), the whole season has a generally lighter/more fun tone to it than some of the seasons before it. Maybe it's the HD or something else, but I just have found it better than I remembered. The only frustrating part for me is that in prob my favorite ep in the season - Home Again - it isn't fully uncut - they left out a scene that was even on the old terrible DVD's between Doc Baker and Albert where the Doc offers to loan him his medical books. They also oddly put the closing & opening theme right in the middle of this ep where the 2nd part begins rather than just splitting it into two parts.

Last edited:

jonnyuest9999

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc
Hi, I would need some help or some confirmation about some doubts and suspicion I have about the season 2 blu-ray that I’ve purchased.

I bought the blu-ray (in new condition) from a marketplace seller from amazon.ca, at about 10$ cheaper than the Amazon selling price, including taxes and shipping charges.

I received the set yesterday and when I’ve putted it in my blu-ray player, the disc reacted kinda weird and very differently than the season 7 blu-ray set that I bought directly from Amazon.com not a marketplace seller.

Here’s the description of the loading and playing process:

1- In the process of loading the disc, a black rectangular window appears briefly with the message “checking for updates”, which i’ve never seen before in any blu-rays that I’ve played.

2- After maybe 25 seconds, a smaller rectangular grayscale image of the iconic family house appears and starts buffering, the image converts progressively in color from left to right.

3- The anti-piracy warning makes its obligatory appearance, followed by the Liongate video, and.

4- Finally the menu animation appears, after a few seconds (page turning animation) the menu interface appears and offers the episode selection option.

5- I select an episode, it starts playing and I when I choose to skip to the next chapter....here’s what I find kind of unusual... a black and gray mini-player interface appears at the bottom. Not very elegant, it has more of the look of a video software interface than a blu-ray one. Seems really out of style. This mini-player isn’t present in the season 7 discs when skipping chapters.

I’m suspicious about this blu-ray set for 2 reasons. The “checking for updates” message in the process of loading the disc and the black and gray mini-player (that seems out of style) that appears when skipping chapter.

Maybe all is normal and it’s only my paranoia that’s playing trick on me, but I just want to be sure that’s not a bootleg copy.

Anyway, if any of you could take the time to check your blu-ray of seson 2 to see if it matches my description it would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Marc:

Are you watching on a computer? Or, on a regular Blu Player>AVR>Monitor setup?

I'm not where I can check my discs right now.

I do know the season 7 discs are different from the discs for seasons 1-6. The menus are different, the pressings are different etc.

But I've never seen anything like what you described (in terms of a mini-player or "checking for updates").

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Everything you describe is exactly what it does on my player as well. The "mini-player" is actually a status bar that is the normal part of Lionsgate's style of authoring discs.

jonnyuest9999

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc
Marc:

Are you watching on a computer? Or, on a regular Blu Player>AVR>Monitor setup?

I'm not where I can check my discs right now.

I do know the season 7 discs are different from the discs for seasons 1-6. The menus are different, the pressings are different etc.

But I've never seen anything like what you described (in terms of a mini-player or "checking for updates").

Everything you describe is exactly what it does on my player as well. The "mini-player" is actually a status bar that is the normal part of Lionsgate's style of authoring discs.

Thanks to you guys for taking the time to help me, it's greatly appreciated. You're reassuring me, I didn't know there was differences between those seasons.

Mark: I'm watching from a regular player, not on my computer. And as for the «mini-player», I just learned that it's called a status bar, sorry for the confusion.

Mike: you also have the «checking for updates» message? That really bugs me, i never saw this before.

Anyway, thanks again for the time you've taken to help me. I can now breath a little be easier, because what I didn't told is that I've purchased seasons 3-6 from the same seller before receiving season 2. I was afraid to find myself with 5 bootlegs sets in my hands and having to go through the refund process with a marketplace seller.

Thanks

t2smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Toby
I have legitimate retail versions of seasons 1 - 6 and I got them all the day they were released. They all have the checking for updates message on my Sony Blu-ray player. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it might only appear if your Blu-ray player is connected to the internet. Seasons 7 - 9 are only available through Amazon and were made differently than 1 - 6.

Last edited:

jonnyuest9999

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc
I have legitimate retail versions of seasons 1 - 6 and I got them all the day they were released. They all have the checking for updates message on my Sony Blu-ray player. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it might only appear if your Blu-ray player is connected to the internet. Seasons 7 - 9 are only available through Amazon and were made differently than 1 - 6.

Thanks for the confirmation t2smith

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And I probably don't see those messages because I do NOT leave my player connected to the internet. So THAT makes sense. :thumbsup:

Marc: Lionsgate released seasons 1-6 on Blu and then decided to discontinue the Blu releases for the final seasons. Fans roared and they actually listened and decided to release them after all (I believe exclusively on Amazon).

The authorizing process changed however, which likely accounts as to why you noticed differences. One obvious thing was much more primitive episode menus on the final three releases. And--in my opinion--while most of the episodes on the final three seasons look really good..they don't look quite "as good" as most of the episodes on the first six releases.

But these discs are a real bargain and high quality--an excellent value...most especially for fans of the series.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My wife and I are still making our way through season 9. And then I have to remember the correct order for the final three movies! :laugh:

I know I asked that question earlier in this thread!

But we are finding most of these episodes to be a real disappointment. the characters just aren't well-developed. You just don't care for them as we should. My wife laughs every time Laura opens her mouth because the writers turned her into a real shrew in this season--always barking at everyone...scolding them about one thing or another.

An example, I was really looking forward to "Welcome to Olesonville" as I had a vague recollection of the gist of the episode. Imagine my surprise when I saw that Charles Lane and Lew Ayres were both guesting in this episode. Wow! But the plot was so clumsily constructed and executed that it took me out of the episode and kept me from enjoying what should have been a very fun ride.

I was subsequently thrilled to see that Billy BArty was guesting in the episode Little Lou...until I watched an saw how hackneyed the story was cobbed together. It was a simple plot device. Someone who didn't fit into the Walnut Grove community--was misunderstood and abused--but then is realized as okay and even heroic. But they didn't even do that right.

I could give several other examples (for me). In 'Return of Nellie', Nellie and Nels stumbling about in the woods randomly looking for Nancy who--gasp--dropped a bow off her dress next to a stump. "These tracks look fresh!" :rolleyes:

They are close in their attempts but just aren't getting it done in the storytelling--which was the hallmark of the earlier seasons.

jonnyuest9999

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc
And I probably don't see those messages because I do NOT leave my player connected to the internet. So THAT makes sense. :thumbsup:

Marc: Lionsgate released seasons 1-6 on Blu and then decided to discontinue the Blu releases for the final seasons. Fans roared and they actually listened and decided to release them after all (I believe exclusively on Amazon).

The authorizing process changed however, which likely accounts as to why you noticed differences. One obvious thing was much more primitive episode menus on the final three releases. And--in my opinion--while most of the episodes on the final three seasons look really good..they don't look quite "as good" as most of the episodes on the first six releases.

But these discs are a real bargain and high quality--an excellent value...most especially for fans of the series.

Thanks again Mike. I'm quite impressed with the picture quality. I compared it with the dvd and frankly, it's day and night.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you search this thread, I took some weak comparison shots of the season 7 DVDs and the season 7 Blus (since I ended up buying both). Not legit screengrabs (cuz I don't have the gear)...but snaps on my iPhone.

Night and day indeed.

t2smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Toby

This works for people who didn't buy seasons 8 and 9 and its nice that the movies will finally be available on Digital. I wonder if they fixed the audio near the end of The Last Farewell and I wonder if those who already own season 8 can get replacement discs. I don't think it's ever been mentioned on this site, but the audio on the English track gets very quiet when the citizens are singing Onward Christian Soldiers, but it sounds fine on the Spanish and French tracks.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've only got eight more episodes of season 9 to watch before I get started on the three movies.

I hate to ask again (since I already asked once earlier in this thread)...but this is the correct order for the final three films...right?

• Look Back to Yesterday
  • Bless All the Dear Children
  • The Last Farewell

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was subsequently thrilled to see that Billy BArty was guesting in the episode Little Lou...until I watched an saw how hackneyed the story was cobbed together. It was a simple plot device. Someone who didn't fit into the Walnut Grove community--was misunderstood and abused--but then is realized as okay and even heroic. But they didn't even do that right.
Sounds similar to the plot of "Castoffs" from Seasion 4.

You have the movies in their intended order, and the order they were filmed, though it seems like they actually aired out of order. According to Wikipedia, "Look Back" aired December 1983, "Farewell" in Feb 1984, and "Bless" in December 1984. However, "Farewell" should have aired last as the finale. Not sure why they were mixed up.

So it's your choice if you want to watch them in their intended sequence, or if you want to recreate the sequence they were actually broadcast. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks