What's new

"Little Black Book" DVD problem (1 Viewer)

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
I'm having problem playing the WS version of this title. Anybody else have this problem?

I rented the DVD from my local BB and have tried three different discs (of that title) to no avail.

Right after all the warnings and disclaimers, the screen remained black and none of my DVD players can play further than that.

I tried those 3 discs on

1. 2 Yamaha DVS5650
2. Denon 910
3. my Toshiba laptop with DVD player/CDRW burner
4. 2 Pioneer 115 PC DVD-ROM readers
5. LiteOn 411 external DVD burner
6. 2 Pioneer 108 DVD burners in external cases

Totalling 9 players. This is really strange because this is the very first disc that NONE of my players can read all three different discs of a single title.

Oh, as for PC DVD software, I use Power DVD 5 on 3 machines and Power DVD 4 on one machine, all running XP Pro with SP2.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'll be reviewing this title in the next couple of days. I'll report here if my screener doesn't work.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
Thank you. I'm curious to know.

My friend bought this DVD from Best Buy Canada and hers can't play beyond chapter 2. It freezes, pixelates and freezes her machine. She needs to unplugged her DVD player, re-plugged it, then press eject. Her DVD player is Pioneer DV-05

My nextdoor neighbour uses Panny RP-56 and Cyberhome. The Panny can't play WS beyond the menu, her Cyberhome can play the WS but for some reason her DVD player won't letter-box it properly (so everything look tall). This is the only DVD that has that problem, other titles can be letterboxed properly. BTW, my neighbour bought the DVD from WalMart.

I'm curious to see what's actually going on. Maybe it's the Canadian version that's messed up.

The tally right now is 5 out of 5 DVDs can't be played properly on 12 players.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I watched it last night. It worked just fine on both of my Pioneer players (one of which is a DV-05).

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
I guess it's more of the Canadian release problem then.

Would you kindly try playing it on your computer's DVD player? I'm curious.

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
This one worked in 3 different DVD Roms I have at home and also worked in my Panasonic F85k and a very low end JVC.
I did some googling and I see this one was giving the dvd copiers a hard time, but they seem to have worked around it. It would be interesting to see if the problems you are experiencing are related to the new copy protections.

Sucks if real customers get hurt because of pirates,

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
Played fine on my Toshiba with the exception of a 2 second freeze after the FBI warning. Hit play and the movie played straight through with incident.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit

There is a new copy protection beyond Macrovision and CSS? I hope they don't keep using this.

Funny thing is, though, the full-frame plays no problem.

Jason Smalley

Stunt Coordinator
As I recall, this is a Sony Pictures Home Entertainment release. They seem to have introduced a funky new copy protection scheme in their DVDs. I extract the AC-3 from my DVDs of the commentaries to put them on my iPod to listen to when I am out and about. I haven't had issues with many dvds, but Resident Evil 2 has given me nothing but problems. It seems they have put a bad bit in the first VOB. I have a feeling that this is what has lead to the varying runtime on the OSD from the DVD player and the feature runtime.

The odd thing is that it affects both the widescreen and the full-frame. I would be interested in observations from others. We shouldn't have to worry about purchasing DVDs because they have been crippled by the studios. I have enough issues with DVDs spontaneously developing massive pixelation over time.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
Hmmm, I think this may be the case of reversed ARccOS distribution between the two titles.

I heard a lot of problem in playing RE:2 in the US but not the Canadian version, and now LBB is no problem in the US but have lots of problems in Canada.

I hope they stop using ARccOS. Imagine trying to explain that the DVD won't play on my player (it plays on their Samsung player). A good thing that there were two people ahead of me returning the same title at Blockbuster when I returned my copy (for the 3rd time).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks