Listen to "everyday" TV via HT setup or not?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JohnGoggan, Jun 2, 2003.

1. JohnGoggan

JohnGoggan Stunt Coordinator

Currently, we only listen through my HT setup when watching movies. When watching normal TV (via Dish Network), we've continued to use the TV (a 57" widescreen RPTV) for the sound. I think we've done this simply because the sound is just "too much" (not loud -- just "busy" or "encompassing", I guess) to watch normal TV via the HT setup. But, I'm not sure if this is just me not giving it a chance...

So, I'm curious what other people do. Do you run everything through your HT setup all the time? my DishPVR unit has a nice optical output -- so I could certainly be using it.

Open to suggestions/opinions...

- John...

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Sometimes I just don't want to bother with turning on the system when I'm just going to be watching filler. Do I REALLY need to hear Dateline in Dolby Pro Logic? I also see it as a waste of resources, kind of like throwing pearls to swine.

3. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I never use my TV speakers for anything. I figure, I spent all this money on these nice speakers, a good amp, a solid pre-pro... Why should I bother with the crummy speakers in my TV?

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    For me, other than sporting events like NASCAR (which sounds fantastic in surround) and concerts, I never watch tv through my HT system, I use the tv's speakers. It's really a waste of time to watch anything else on cable in surround because the dynamic range of cable is just terrible, practically non-existant!

Case in point, Training Day was on HBO a couple of months back and I had my system on, the scene came when Denzel Washington started shooting his guns at those gang members in that neiborhood, now on the DVD, his guns sounded like freakin cannons! But on HBO, and i'm not joking, you could barely hear them!

IMO, it just adds more work to your system than their needs to be, stick with the tv's speakers for non sports and concert events, and you're system will live longer. Just my 2 cents.

5. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Only listen to occasional programming in surround via HT. "American Idol" sounds good in DTS NEO-6, as did "Fastlane" (at least when it was on). Sports are also good in surround.

6. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I always have my receiver on. But when I'm watching normal broadcast TV, I just watch it in stereo. For some reason I hate Pro Logic with most things, and would rather just watch it in stereo mode. Like Jeff said, I spent the money on a system, so why not use it? The chances of me wearing out my receiver before I get tired of it and upgrade to a new one are pretty slim.

7. John Burton

John Burton Stunt Coordinator

John
    It seems receiver is always on. We have Direct TV and watch everything that is not in Dolby Digital in Pro-Logic 2. PL2 is really good. Something as simple as my wife's soap operas sound good. The background noises from the surround speakers sound as good as somethings in Dolby Digital. Pro-Logic II is a must!

JB

8. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Hell's yes, I run everything through my full setup, even when just having filler on. Like someone else posted, if you paid all this money to get a good setup, might as well use it. If nothing else, I'll just use 2 channel while watching satellite. Sounds better than the TV speakers, that's for sure. If my wife would learn that I just use all that stuff in the basement just for watching movies or listening to CD's, she'd be even more pi$$ed off. Fire that stuff up, and get your money's worth!

9. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

The speakers on my tv are off and there are no audio inputs running to it. Everything is conveniently set through my pronto so it's no extra hassle, and I can easily switch from pl2 to stereo depending on which sounds best.

There's nothing wrong with the tv speakers, the ht is just much better.

10. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

My TV doesn't even have speakers.

11. Kevin Golding

Kevin Golding Stunt Coordinator

I can't remember the last time I used the speakers in the TV. Like JamesHl, I use my Pronto (Neo) with macros to turn everything on at the same time and switch inputs. Works great for me, and the TV's speakers would sound 'thin.'

12. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I just use my receiver for movies. I don't really watch a lot of regular tv just the news for about 30 min in the a.m. No need for big sound for the news. I only watch movies on the weekend so my receiver and HT speakers don't see a lot of action.

13. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

I never turn my TV speakers on and never turn the receiver off. Makes it easier for the wife.

14. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i have the tv's internal speakers turned off. nuff said. [​IMG] besides, i have *everything* running through my receiver.

seriously though, you're missing out on even broadcast tv. most tv shows that are broacast in dolby sound pretty cool - you get rear surround, panning effects, etc. it may not be completely clean, but it's still noticeable.

heck, even some commercials sound pretty cool. i've seen some (i'm thinking the car commercials) give my speakers a pretty decent workout.

don't forget about sports too. if your receiver has dsp, put it to "arena" then watch a football game - it's cheesy, but kinda fun (at least for a while) to listen to.

at the very least, give it a shot. if you decide you don't like it, then stick with your current routine. you pretty much have nothing to lose.

15. KevinMc

KevinMc Auditioning

Help a newbie out here guys. Just set up my first home theater and would like to use it when watching sports and some other programs on regular TV. I hooked up RCA cables from the audio out on my TV to the Video 2 audio in on my receiver like the manual said to do but the sound I get is very low if audible at all. What did I do wrong?

btw: I am using regular cable not digital or satelite.

16. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

kevin - read this thread. it goes into pretty good detail what you need to check out/do.

17. KevinMc

KevinMc Auditioning

Ted,

Thanks for the info set my TV to fixed at lunch and it worked fine.

Now if I can figure out how to get my receiver to recognize the optical input from my DVD player. I set the DVD player to PCM/stream and for some reason my receiver won't let me switch the input mode to opt in. I guess I better read the manual again.

Thanks again.

18. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

np kevin. if you still have probs w/the receiver, post the question in the receivers forum. good luck!

19. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Kevin, make sure that the optical is not turned on on another input.

20. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

When watching TV in the cinema room I use the in-wall 60" RPTV for the video and run the audio through the cinema's processor for surround sound. I never watch TV on the projector...that is solely for DVD and XBOX playback.