What's new

List your top ten movies of the year so far. (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Of the films already released wide that I might really like I haven't seen - Seabiscuit, Open Range, Whale Rider, Matchstick Men or Master and Commander. Station Agent is in town but I've yet to see it either.

I did see Kill Bill but it won't make my top 10. I logged Russian Ark as a 2002 film, but it didn't make that top 10.

Right now I have mostly crowd pleasers...

1) City of God
2) X2
3) Matrix Revolutions
4) Finding Nemo
5) Pirates of the Carribean
6) Matrix 2
7) Bend it Like Beckham
8) School of Rock
9) Better Luck Tomorrow
10) 28 Days Later

I have several "contender" films yet to see, but so far I would disagree with Vickie and call this a down year. I don't feel like this year has been as strong as the last couple. Right now I only have serious interest in about 6-7 more films yet to be released wide (ROTK, In America, Last Sam, Elephant, Cold Mtn, a couple I'm forgetting).

But who cares what I say, I was stupid enough to love both the Matrix sequels. Everyday I bend down to pray in front of my Truffaut statue that I gain the wisdom to hate these films as they properly deserve, but for now his spirit has denied me (for all I know he would have loved them too ;) ).

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
Master and Commander
Bend it Like Beckham
Finding Nemo
Seabiscuit
Nowhere in Africa
Open Range

still need to see: Lost in Translation, Pirates of the Carribean, Runaway Jury, Phone Booth, Matchstick Men, Love Actually, plus the upcoming December releases to complete this list.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
I haven't seen the Station Agent yet...and there's a couple highly touted indies I'm planning on seeing over Thanksgiving. Several contenders aren't out yet - I can't imagine ROTK not being high on my final list when all's said and done!

So far:

City Of God
Master & Commander
Raising Victor Vargas
Lost In Translation
Whale Rider
The Trial of Henry Kissinger (for content, not style)

Spellbound & Winged Migration (2002 Oscar noms, but seen in 2003)

Mystic River...maybe. Nemo...probably. My Name Is David... not yet in release. Better get out my old flyers from Key Cinemas and see what I've forgotten.

Seth - go see Master & Commander!

#1 The Last Dragon :star:
#2 Donnie Darko

Training Day Top 10 not sure where have to think of other fav titles Just know what my #1 and 2 are. :D

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Right now it's like this:

Finding Nemo
Kill Bill v1
X-Men 2
A Mighty Wind
Phone Booth
The Station Agent
Pirates Of The Caribbean
28 Days Later
Shanghai Knights
Bruce Almighty

But I always see movies later than everyone else due to the horrible theaters around here. I'll go on a streak right around the first of the year, catching up on movies I've missed.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Placeholder -- I'll be sure to fill this in properly when I get a chance, either Sunday or later in the week. For now, my top 10 are as follows (eliminating shorts):

1 - À la folie… pas du tout (He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not)
2 - Finding Nemo
3 - Whale Rider
4 - The Matrix Revolutions
5 - The Matrix Reloaded
6 - Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
7 - X2
8 - Seabiscuit
9 - L'Auberge espagnole (The Spanish Apartment)
10 - Master and Commander

(I just realized how fantasy/adventure-heavy my top 10 is thus far this year).

ALSO

I will be providing the same summaries I provided last year (the top 30 of our top 10, along with different percentiles). It should be easier to do this year because I have a film tracker website that'll make keeping track of these things a LOT more efficient. Look for that some time in middle-late December.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Also, can the title of this thread be renamed to be consistent with the past 2 or so years' top-10 thread (the other ones went something like "Top 10 of 2003...Time to Throw Down")

George See

Second Unit
Ok i've seen some new fantastic movies, Whale Rider and All the Real Girls are getting added to my list. And I can't decide if I liked Whale Rider more than Kill Bill so they'll both be number one for now, and chances are Return of the King will be up top in the long run anyway. And i've now officially decided TimeLine is the worst movie of the year I really loved the book and had really high hopes for the movie, but it was a dissapointment on so many levels.

So we've got.

1. Kill Bill
1. Whale Rider
2. Finding Nemo
3. Raising Victor Vargas
4. Russian Ark
5. Bend it like Beckham
6. Sea Biscuit
7. All The Real Girls

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Although you cannot take my contribution too seriously, because I cannot see all new movies released in the US, and hardly go to the cinema anymore (although I'm starting to forget why: yesterday evening I discovered that a brand new cinema, not too far from my home, has beautiful auditoriums, with stunning sound - and the public is remarkably well-behaved), here's a vote:

Master and Commander.

Absolutely fantastic film, great sound tracks, much more depth to the character development than usual and an overall authentic look and feel that's gripping.

My wife read all 20 books of the series more than once, so we already were awaiting the DVD, but now even more impatiently!

Cees

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Also, can the title of this thread be renamed to be consistent with the past 2 or so years' top-10 thread (the other ones went something like "Top 10 of 2003...Time to Throw Down")
Well, this thread is about our Top 10's currently; the "Time to Throw Down" threads usually cropped up towards the end of December, if I'm not mistaken.

Arman

Screenwriter
After seeing The Last Samurai, Gerry & Marooned in Iraq , here's my ever changing (& growing) Top 10 +1:

1. City of God
1. Kill Bill Volume 1
1. Lost in Translation
1. Raising Victor Vargas
5. Finding Nemo
5. Gerry
5. Irreversible
5. Love Actually
5. The Last Samurai
5. Marooned in Iraq
5. Master and Commander: The Far Side of The World

I will break ties & sort (by ranking) later this month.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Well, this thread is about our Top 10's currently; the "Time to Throw Down" threads usually cropped up towards the end of December, if I'm not mistaken.
I'll be starting the fun, visual The Best and Worst Films of 2003: Time To Throw Down thread on December 24th.

Jason

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
havent seen alot but here's my list

1.) Phone Booth
2.) Finding Nemo
3.) X-Men 2
4.) Terminator 3
5.) Bruce Almighty
6.) The Matrix Reloaded

if i've seen every movie that has come out this year i dont think The Hulk would make it on the list so im not gonna toss it on there and thats about all i can come up with.

Arman

Screenwriter
This will be my final update in this thread. I'll be posting my final and ever changing Top 10 in Jason White's Best of 2003 thread later this month.

My Top 10 Films of 2003:
1. Raising Victor Vargas 2. City of God 3. Lost in Translation 4. Kill Bill Volume 1 5. Irreversible 6. Love Actually 7. Finding Nemo 8. The Last Samurai 9. Master & Commander:The Far Side of The World 10. Marooned in Iraq

Key Movies Not Seen That I Should Have Before Posting My Top 10:
LOTR:ROTK, Cold Mountain, Big Fish, 21 Grams, The Fog Of War, House of Sand & Fog, Elephant, The Triplettes Of Belleville, The Company, Ten, In America, The Station Agent, Angels in America, Monster, Peter Pan, Girl With A Pearl Earring, Good Bye, Lenin, Mona Lisa Smile, Paycheck, Rana's Wedding, The Cooler, demonlover, Divine Intervention, Lilya 4-Ever, Dogville, Pieces of April

Key Movies I've Seen That Did Not Make My Top 10:
Gerry A (#11), Mystic River B-, Seabiscuit B+, A Mighty Wind B-, Stevie C, Capturing The Friedmans B+, Spellbound B, Winged Migration B+, Nowhere in Africa A, May B-, 28 Days Later A-, Dirty Pretty Things A, The Man On The Train A, Swimming Pool A, Blue Car A-, Thirteen A-, All The Real Girls A, The Missing B, He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not A, Shattered Glass A, Matchstick Men B+, Intolerable Cruelty B+, Pirates of The Carribean: Curse of The Black Pearl B+, The Matrix Reloaded C+, The Matrix Revolutions C+, The Hulk A-, X2: X-Men United B

chris rick

Second Unit
1. Mystic River (****)
2. Master and Commandeer: The Far Side of The World (****)
3. Lost in Translation (****)
4. Thirteen (***1/2)
5. Irreversible (***1/2)
6. School of Rock (***1/2)
7. 28 Days Later (***1/2)
8. Kill Bill (***)
9. Finding Nemo (***)
10.The Matrix Revolutions (***)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I spent the entire summer at the local drive in. There's something fun about watching a movie on a 40ft tall screen sitting in a camp chair in the back of a pickup truck. Plus 2 first run movies for $5 is hard to beat. I saw pretty much everything that came out over the summer and most notable stuff before i got home from and after i returned to college. Here's my top 10 list of the most enjoyable movies i've seen this year (even if sometimes better/more important films didn't make it).

1.) Italian Job
2.) Pirates of the Carribean
3.) Finding Nemo
4.) Seabiscuit
5.) Second Hand Lions
6.) Open Range
7.) Kill Bill Vol. 1
8.) Matrix Revolutions
9.) X2
10.) Bad Boys 2

Honorable mention for SWAT, T3, Once Upon A Time In Mexico, The Recruit, The Rundown, Phone Booth, Basic, and Confidence.

I've also seen some horrible movies I would never watch again but sat through because of the drive in atmosphere (alot easier to make fun of a movie w/ your friends w/out bothering other people).

1.) 28 Days Later
2.) Johny English
3.) 2Fast 2Furious
4.) Hulk
5.) Biker Boys
6.) How To Lose A Guy...
7.) LXG

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Okay here is my revised list in this order,
1. The Last Samurai
2. Seabiscuit
3. Open Range
4. Kill Bill
5. Mystic River
6. Master & Commander
7. Underworld
8. X Men 2
9. The Italian Job
10. Finding Nemo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks