What's new

List your Top 10 Most Wanted shows from Warner Archives (1 Viewer)

mustang

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
patrick
BRONCO SUGARFOOT COLT 45 THE DAKOTAS MAVERICK LAWMAN TEMPLE HUSTON 77 SUNSET STRIP CHEYENNE (the rest of) THE FBI (the rest of)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
MatthewA said:
Knots Landing

Alice

Mama's Family (do the NBC episodes UNCUT or don't bother)

Chico and the Man

Welcome Back Kotter

Compared to other studios, there are not a lot of WB shows I am too familiar with (Sony seems to own most of the shows I'm interested in), and I'd take them on a case-by-case basis. I just wish they were less expensive; I may be willing to blind-buy Courtship of Eddie's Father: S1, but not for $40.
Archive prices are always 10% off simply by signing up for a free newsletter so price is $35.99. I got mine on sale for $31.49. There's no reason to ever pay sticker price for archive titles.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverking

No one seems to have mentioned 'The Roaring 20's ' or 'The Dakotas'. These two
along with 'The Alaskans' & Sunset Strip' would be my main wants.

I'm with Chris on The Dakotas and Roaring 20's. A list like this seems to always change for me (just like any attempt I make at a "Top 10 Favorites" list does). But at the present moment I'd say the following are shows I'm interested in:

The Dakotas

Roaring 20's

Dr. Kildare

Tarzan

The Lieutenant

The Eleventh Hour

Conflict

Mr. Novak

Harry O.

Cain's Hundred

I get what Neil is saying about wanting to see shows that were not broadcast widely (if at all) in syndication during the 80's/90's, but since I wasn't in a position to tape those shows, I've listed the ones I'd like to see regardless. And since WBA seems to have an aversion to their b/w titles, I'm hoping for Tarzan as my first TV series purchase from the Archive program.

Gary "has anything b/w besides Cheyenne been released thru the Archive program?" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
With my top two titles (FBI, GFU) already released, I would have no right to list more than eight. And honestly, there aren't eight that get me into the same mode of anticipation like those two did. I would certainly get Tarzan which is #3, and I would also get Dr. Kildare and Maverick. But after that, I'd be in no real rush with any other title unless there was a guest shot of someone's I really wanted. I haven't bothered with Medical Center or Man From Atlantis yet. Keep giving me more FBI though and I'll be quite happy!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Gary OS
And since WBA seems to have an aversion to their b/w titles, I'm hoping for Tarzan as my first TV series purchase from the Archive program.

Gary "has anything b/w besides Cheyenne been released thru the Archive program?" O.

Warner Brothers has indicated on their Facebook page that most of the B/W shows have music clearance problems. especially the private eye shows where they had a singer preform in a nightclub every week. They said they were working on getting the clearances. This should not be a problem with the westerns, which I do feel are way to slow in getting released.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And if that's the case, then give Warner credit for trying to get the clearances since goodness knows we know what CBS/Paramount would do! I think patience is going to prove to be rewarded on all levels with Warner when it comes to what we all collectively would like to see.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Seeing is believing for some of us. I'll believe it when I see a lot more older TV show series released from WBA. I haven't seen that yet.

I do agree about CBS/P though. Track record is mixed at best. I've never been a fan of their split-season releases as I imagine most collectors would agree.

Regarding patience, I understand. I also am of the opinion that Shout among some others deserve patience as well since that comparison seems to occur frequently.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well I've made no secret of how I have a much more cynical view of Shout. With Warner, their program is enough to give me confidence that a project won't be abandoned but only delayed at worst. With Shout, I've learned you can never be sure of anything with them.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Here's another pov: With Shout, I've learned that they've come through for me like a champ with some complete series set releases as well as numerous season sets. There's always another pov on this one.

I've made no secret either about my WBA opinions.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Indeed there is, and it's I'm sure a matter of subjective views on what constitutes a notable release. Those who are wondering why "Adam-12" went this entire year without being completed or why the rug got pulled out from under the feet for a second time on "Ironside" or that "Marcus Welby" couldn't even get one crack in their ballyhooed Select program (which ended up providing nothing this year for me) are generally the ones more inclined to feel cynical. And with MOD programs, I'm surprised no one hasn't mentioned how MGM's came to a screeching halt this year with zippo new after giving us a couple of very overpriced releases last year in Flipper S2 and Highway Patrol S1. Warner certainly doesn't seem in danger of going that route.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
WBA, good point about that Jack. However, rest assured that I'm not a minority of 1 that isn't shelling out my $$'s for WB's everyday pricepoints for the older TV/DVD sets.

Overpriced opinions are in the eye of the beholder. Imo, WBA's list prices are overpriced and prevent me from partaking in this program for their TV/DVD sets. I have bought WBA mod's though, but only during one of their movie dvd sales which, correct me here, please, do not include their older TV/DVD sets, not the ones that are already released.

Your point about Shout is understood. But interestingly enough, Adam-12 is one of my favorites and I wasn't preturbed at all by a S6 delay. I have the earlier seaons on the shelf and haven't finished with those yet.

I have no interest in Ironside at all. That's why that issue isn't on my radar.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The reason why I'm perturbed by the delay is because there's no rational reason for it. I went through the sets very fast, and I have wanted to get rid of some old boots for quite some time and when I see multiple seasons of a show I'm not interested in (Dennis The Menace) fast-tracked but a title that we're told is popular as Adam-12 gets stuck for 16 months which is a longer delay than what people show patience for with many a CBS/Paramount title, that's when I get unimpressed. The Ironside issue will always remain on my radar, not because the title is stalled, but because Shout reps. have on more than once been dishonest on the subject.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
And the reason I'm not preturbed is the opposite. I have plenty of Adam-12 on the shelf not viewed, and Dennis the Menace is one that I collect.

So you can see why my opinion of Shout is the opposite of your pov.

I guess I'm one of those collectors that wait for TSoD release posts, then I add it to my list. I don't converse with Shout reps or put stock in upcoming releases posts until I see it posted by Dave at TSoD.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
RE: Ironside was it really Brian Ward who assumed on Shout's forum that they had the rights to the entire series?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yes, it was and more than once we heard him say they had the rights to the whole series. In fact, I have not heard of ANY case of a Universal title that was licensed out only a year to year basis until that bombshell got dropped on us here. Until then, Fox was the only studio that was licensing things out one year at a time or in small blocs. And it certainly makes no sense considering how Timeless, with all of their Universal releases, has had the rights to the entire series from the get-go of when they got started.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Things change and that's one reason most studios don't leak any info before an official release statement, as they know what the reaction will be from the ol arena.

I'm sure Brian Ward makes mistakes, we all do. I'm sure that one day, we'll hear about WBA making an announcement that may change as well. If that happens, we'll see how it goes here at HTF.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
This was not about a release announcement. This was multiple postings over a period of many months regarding the status of the show with the company which was that they had the license to the *entire* run of the show.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I get it, ;). I was trying to make the point that no one or organization is infallible. I don't know the reason for the mis-information that occurred multiple times. I understand the frustration of you and others regarding that. Perhaps Brian or another employee misread their license contract or there was an escape clause that allowed the studio property owner to loophole out of the entire-series agreement. I don't know the details about it. Does anyone here know?

It's like most anything else, unless someone has a reliable contact or works for the studio, it's difficult to know the facts of a situation.

I'd have been annoyed too if Shout had announced "Dennis the Menace is coming" and then something happened to change or cancel the release. That's life, I guess.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P

In fact, I have not heard of ANY case of a Universal title that was licensed out only a year to year basis until that bombshell got dropped on us here. Until then, Fox was the only studio that was licensing things out one year at a time or in small blocs.

While I can't speak with absolute certainty on this, I'm pretty sure that other companies have licensed out shows on a time limit basis. I believe that's what happened with The Rifleman and MPI and I thought I read that's what happened with the Donna Reed Show and Virgil Films. And it seems I've read about others, but specifics don't come to mind right now. That's not to defend the situation you are referencing, I'm just saying it's not completely unheard of.

Gary "as Jeff said, since the shows you are referencing aren't favorites of mine, the specific issue you are talking about has not been on my radar at all" O.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
HenryDuBrow said:
I left off Harry O this time as it seems to be coming.
How so? We got told that before and got just the second pilot instead. I'd love for it to be true, but once burned . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks