List of MST3K Episodes Likely to Never See DVD?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dane Marvin, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

I tried searching the archives here but couldn't find anything. I recall one time seeing a detailed list someone had made up that listed all the studios/companies/estates that owned the films riffed on in the history of MST3K. From this list, they whittled down those that were likely to never see DVD release for one reason or another, be it a studio's unwillingness to sell the rights to Rhino or some other reason, such as "out of respect for the dead".

I'm sure it was here that I originally saw the post, but I can't find it anymore. If anyone knows where this info is, could you please repost it?

2. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

cross off any of the Sandy Frank monster flicks
    most likely "Final Justice" (Joe Don Baker goodness)
    "Amazing Colossal Man" most likely (after the VHS oops)

3. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Any of the classic Gamara or Godzilla episodes are doubtful.

4. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

There was a Season 2 Gamera episode ("Gamera vs. Guiron", I believe) that contained my all-time favorite MST3K quote. [​IMG]

5. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

"...Cornjob will be blamed."? [​IMG]

6. Jeff Kuykendall

Jeff Kuykendall Stunt Coordinator

Doubtful on the Universal ones from Season 8, like Revenge of the Creature and The Mole People. Of course, Revenge of the Creature is coming out without the MST3K commentary in a few months.

7. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Another one to add to the list would probably be MST3K: The Movie. It was out on DVD, but I read something (unsubstantiated, and probably a net myth to boot) that Universal was upset that whoever was handling the DVD release did not charge more for it, and stopped the production of the DVDs. Thus, if you want MST3K: The Movie on DVD, you have to go to EBay or some other such outlet and drop a hundred bucks or more.

I also heard the Japanese monster flicks [Godzilla, Gamera and Mothra] would NOT be released, because the fellow responsible for the American release of the film (Sandy Frank?) was really upset at some of the jokes made, and refuses to allow permission for them to be put out by Rhino or whoever else with the MST3K portions in it.

satellitenews.com might have more information - both detailed and far more accurate than my recollections. Chris Cornell is really MST3K savvy.

8. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

I bought the movie for my brother before it went OOP. Unfortunately, he sold his DVD collection as a lot on e-bay before it went OOP also! It's too bad we probably won't seen an official DVD of it again because the movie is ridiculously funny.

Question for RickP: What happened with the VHS of "Amazing Colossal Man"? I remember it is no longer sold but why did they have to pull it?

Also, I've tried looking for this info at Satellite News, but I didn't find the answers to my questions and their site search function isn't working.

9. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

If this is referring to MST3K:The Movie then I don't know about that, since the rights belong to Universal all it might take is for some of the people in charge of the DVD division (a recently new group of people from what I have heard) to notice that MST3K sells quite well and they will probably release it...a well organised letter writing campaign wouldn't hurt.

It may not happen anytime soon but to say that it will never be released on DVD again is overkill.

10. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

I wonder if DVD studios have considered making arrangements with Rhino to license MST3K commentaries for their releases? A number of films covered by MST3K (Like Invasion U.S.A., that movie about a bunch of killer worms whose name I can't recall right now, and Revenge of the Creature)have been or will be given official releases in the original form.

The MST3K commentary, even if its just in audio form, would make for a fun extra feature and generate a decent number of added sales. I doubt it will ever happen, though, as these movies are usually not ones that studios want to put a lot of effort and expense into.

11. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

Short version. Rhino released it without having the rights!

12. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

That would be Squirm and if the director has any say in the matter then it won't be released anytime soon, he apparently was rather insulted by the satire...

13. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

It isn't unsubstantiated or a myth, Universal had a problem with Image's pricing policy which apparently went against the contract and yanked all of Image's licences to Universal titles.
    As I said before, it can come out again if Universal has incentive, cash is pretty much the only incentive that studios have so start writing universal and let them know that your money is theirs if it is released. I did this at the beginning of the year already but I will do so again soon.
    I don't have the address handy but I will post it when I get it.

14. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

You won't ever see any of the KTMA episodes as Best Brains didn't have the rights to any of the films used (although a few were redone for Comedy Central epsiodes). Also there probably won't be very many 1st season releases if Best Brains has their way, they are not to fond of those episodes themselves.

--Ian

15. GeorgePaul

GeorgePaul Second Unit

A DEFINITE MST flick that will never see the light of day will be that Comedy Central classic ep with Neil Connery, "Double OO7." Eon Productions would sue Rhino back to the stone age before it would allow the release of that wonderfully awful Italian riff on the James Bond movies--featuring the original Miss Moneypenny (Lois Maxwell) AND Largo (Adolfo Celi)!

16. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

(clutches his DVD-R's of KTMA's and S1's (and almost all the rest of the series) tightly [​IMG] )

17. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

I searched through a website that claims to sell only DVDs from the public domain. Here are some interesting ones I found that I hope Rhino looks into someday (since the films themselves can be used royalty-free, right?):

The Giant Gila Monster (402)
    Bride of the Monster (423)
    First Spaceship on Venus (211)
    Santa Claus (521)
    Invasion USA (602)
    The Beast of Yucca Flats (621)
    The Corpse Vanishes (105)
    The Mad Monster (103)
    The Crawling Eye (101)
    The Ring of Terror (206)

The "Hercules" movies -- several of which are riffed on over the years by the SOL crew also appear to be in the public domain. They could base an entire box set collection on those alone.

Finally, there appear to be a lot in season 8-10 from the Sci-Fi Channel era. I'm assuming it was a cost-related issue and something that, in the end, bodes well for the future of seeing those eps on DVD. I'd really like to get "The Phantom Planet" (902) on a boxset in the future.

For now, I am very happy with Rhino unearthing two never-before released Comedy Central era episodes on Collection Six (and another on the Essentials set).

18. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

Yes....

There are still ways of seeing these episodes! [​IMG]

19. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

The review for the Essentials disc was archived so I wanted to repeat a hopeful wish that I had in that thread...

I just...obtained a copy of the last Comedy Central episode Laserblast #706 and boy do I wish Rhino could get the rights to this one, it is funny...

Are You Ready For Some Football!!!!

Then someone asked about the "football" reference and then someone offered THIS LINK to Rhino's top 100 fan list....to which I replied..

Hey, Laserblast is #5 on that list, good to know that it is at least on the radar of possible future titles, if Rhino can get the rights.

The "are you ready for some football" line in LB is a running gag attributed to veteran character actor Dennis Burkley (he played Dozer in 1985's MASK) who has a more than passing resemblance to Hank Williams Jr.

Here's a good one from that episode..

Girl in film:"Where have you been all morning? Not waking people at the crack of Dawn I hope."

Crow:"Well that's where they found Tony Orlando."

Servo:"(gasp) CROW!"

Thank you for your time...[​IMG]

20. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

Man, I've never even SEEN the MST3K movie.

Don't know how I will now.