What's new

Liquid cooled cases (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Good overall- the diagrams showed the cooling tube but never showed how to get cabling in there too, lol...

My biggest complaint was dual HD cooling involved mounting one upside down, creating an interesting cabling issue- but eventually everything worked out great.

The CPU readout has never gone above 88 degrees F.

-Vince

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Vince - Sorry to bother.

How many components are you cooling altogehter? Are you setting the fans at maximum to acheive that temperature? Is the fan loud at maximum?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

From reservoir to processor (2.6g P4), to northbridge chipset to hard drive cooler.

The fans are at LOWEST speed, it has 3 stages.

The fans are loud at max- and are, well, average I gues at low. I have my machines in a closet and run a KVM switch for 4 machines to one desktop. With the door closed I don't notice fan noise- but if it was on my desk, i think I'd consider it slightly loud.

-Vince

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
That's the thing -- Why do they use fans? Can they use some kind of refrigerating method (not freezing, of course) to keep the liquid cool? I'm sure you could come up with some kind of chemical that would not be too viscous at low temperatures.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
the prometia and vapochill use a phase-change cooling system (a mini-fridge type compressor is used to cool).

I've seen a few watercooling systems that experimented with cooling the water by other means, dry ice and ln2 are common. but anything else still needs a fan to remove the heat that the secondary system picks up.

in essence there has to be a fan somewhere in the system to remove heat from the entire device. whether it be in a radiator that's apart of the water cooling loop or the radiator of a the compressor.

to make a quiet water cooling system you need a large radiator with some large (but not high speed) fans. most people like to use heater cores from automobiles.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
If you have a relatively cool running system, a large radiator, and a pump with a high flow rate you can get away with using no fans (if you're only cooling the cpu).

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
ah true true, by means of passive airflor you can get away without a fan at all. place the radiator in the top of the case and the heat will move up and away without a single fan.

could set your computer up to be near silent like that.

the only points of issue would be your hardrive and optical drives, which you can buy some add on kits that dampen their sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks