Lionsgate Press Release: Stargate 15th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Stargate: 15th Anniversary Edition
    Stargate, the film that spawned three television series, two movies and a galaxy of fans, celebrates its 15th anniversary with a special edition Blu-ray Disc! The film, written and directed by Roland Emmerich (Independence Day), boasts a critically-acclaimed ensemble cast that includes three-time Emmy® winner James Spader, Emmy® and Golden Globe® nominee Kurt Russell and two-time Academy Award® nominee Djimon Hounsou. The Stargate: 15th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Disc contains both the theatrical and extended cuts of the film - for the first time on Blu-ray - in newly remastered 1080P High Definition 16 x 9 Widescreen with English 7.1 DTS-MA Audio and four hours of mind-blowing special features including three new featurettes, a never-before-seen gag reel, an interactive trivia track and more! The Blu-ray will be available on October 27, 2009, timed to coincide with the new television series "Stargate Universe" coming to SyFy this fall!
    Pricing: Blu-ray Disc $29.99

2. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Newly remastered and 7.1.
    It's a definite purchase for me.
    I'll be glad to buy this. Glad I waited.

3. Matt Fig

Matt Fig Stunt Coordinator

I will be double dipping for sure. Just bought the Blu Ray for $9.99. Thanks for the heads up.

4. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

I got the single layer first release as a freebie. I don't even own a Blu-ray player yet. This is great news. I was going to cave in and get the Optimum UK release.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Let's hope they get the subtitles right on this release. The first version that I bought didn't have the correct subtitles for the Egyptian and foreign planet dialogue. In order to see them I had to turn on *all* English subs. Then the replacement they sent me has the right Egyptian/foreign planet subtitle track--without the spoken English subs--but sometimes the subtitles don't default to on when I begin to play so I have to manually choose it. Major pain in the a$$.

For that alone I'd consider a re-buy. Better AV quality will definitely convince me to upgrade.

6. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Oh yeah....this one is definitely mine. Look forward to it...

7. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

Originally Posted by Carlo Medina
    EDIT: The two movies are sequels to the TV Universe, specifically SG-1. Damn I can't believe it's been 15 years. I still prefer the Director's Cut compared to the Theatrical although I saw it in theatres about 10 times.
    Now if I can find the single layer disc, it's the corrected second version, and sell it.

Edited by Ray_R - 8/4/2009 at 05:31 am GMT

8. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

"Stargate THE MOVIE" ?

Eww.

They just had to stick "the movie" on there....

9. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I'm satisfied with my copy of the first release.

10. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

I take it you're also satisfied at not being multi-region capable? The first release is also MPEG2 on a single layer BD. I'm selling mine.

There're also custom covers. I almost always type it out StarGate. But it's far more applicable to a series such as RoboCop where the former is the correct typing with the "CamelCaps" and Robocop is vastly incorrect. That being said, I'm also waiting for MGM to release a superior version of RoboCop on Blu-ray disc instead of the one out now. Besides the V/A quality, the Steelbook vastly trumps it in terms of extras. Even then I'd prefer a BD-50 of RoboCop.

11. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Yes. Because 1) I have no need to ever play it on a non-Region A player, and 2) It's not a movie I like enough to double dip on. I'll watch it once every 5 years or so if I'm lucky.

YMMV

12. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

13. Sulien

Sulien Auditioning

I'm very much looking forward to the release of the 15th anniversary BluRay, just because of all of the added special features.

As for "Stargate: Universe", you couldn't pay me to watch that dren. I enjoyed both "Stargate: SG-1" and "Stargate: Atlantis" and have all of the seasons on DVD, but from everything I have seen and read of "Universe", they're jumping the shark with this one before the first episode even airs.

14. Nicholas Martin

As a fan of the film only I don't go near any of these spin-off shows, but that "universe" show's commercials laid out the basic premise perfectly clear to me:

It's the "Voyager" of the SG-1 TV franchise.

15. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin

EDIT: Here're the extra features.
    http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/71312/stargate-15th-anniversary-edition.html

16. Arild

Arild Supporting Actor

Heh... You know what? That is exactly what people were saying about Stargate Atlantis when that show first started. I'm not making it up. - people were saying that everywhere. Five years later, I think anyone who's been following the show would agree with me in hindsight that the comparison was absoloutely ridiculous. I have no doubt the same will be true for Stargate Universe. Thing is, people see the trailers, are reminded of whatever show they've seen before that looks the most like it, and have too little imagination to think that it may just be something different from what they already know.

Now, that's an odd thing to say. As a (very) long time fan of the Stargate franchise, I think Stargate Universe looks very, very promising. You, however, are apparently a fan of both SG-1 and SGA, so much so in fact that you've acquired every season on DVD (that's fifteen box sets!) and yet you've decided not to watch the new show from the same creative team - a month before even a single episode has aired? I mean, one would think you'd at least give it a fair chance, given their track record.

..okay: Call me a stalker, but out of curiousity, I just googled your nick and based on posts you made on other forums, it appears you decided against SGU more than a year ago - when all we'd been told of the show was a brief synopsis. Add to that the fact that you apparently registered here on HTF just to express your hatred of the show makes me think I probably shouldn't bother with trying to reason with you about this, but should you still want to discuss SGU the appropriate thread for it is here.

17. Nicholas Martin

Quote:
    You know, I feel the same way about that and it was (as silly as it may sound) my loyalty to Devlin and Emmerich that held me back from watching SG-1, other than to sample it when it first started. It just wasn't for me.

Now, Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich don't even work together anymore, with Emmerich continuing the disaster movie trend and Devlin moving forward with TV projects like "Leverage", which I can't see here in Canada. They made fun popcorn movies together, and regardless of their film's flaws (of course Godzilla has many) I just plain like those guys and their intentions were honest and clear with the films they made. Independence Day is, was and always will be a massive favorite film of mine - both of the films they made and all together...and I love the A / V presentation of it on Blu-ray.

18. Arild

Arild Supporting Actor

Which is fair enough, of course. I only said it because it seems to be a common opinion that SGU will be a crappy retread of Voyager, and I don't believe that to be the case at all. :)

19. Nicholas Martin

That's not possible, because if anything it would likely be an improvement on Voyager's concept!

20. Arild

Arild Supporting Actor

Heh. Not a Voyager fan, eh?

On a more on-topic note, I will probably get this disc... if it's not region coded. Are Lionsgate BD titles generally region free, anyone know? IIRC, the last release was, but I never did get that one.