Lionsgate Press Release: Mimic (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Mimic on Blu-ray Disc

Audiences will experience High Definition thrills as Lionsgate debuts Guillermo Del Toro's Mimic for the very first time on 1080P High Definition Blu-ray Disc. Featuring new bonus materials created especially for this release, this disc includes audio commentary and an introduction from Del Toro, two featurettes looking at the creatures from the film and a behind-the-scenes retrospective on the shooting of the film plus never-before-seen additional content including deleted/alternate scenes, outtakes and storyboard animatics. Mimic stars Academy Award® winner* Mira Sorvino (Mighty Aphrodite) and Academy Award® nominee** Josh Brolin (No Country for Old Men) along with Jeremy Northam (Showtime's "The Tudors").

Directed by Oscar® nominee Del Toro (Best Writing, Original Screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth, 2006), the Miramax film Mimic features a screenplay and screen story by Matthew Robbins & Guillermo Del Toro and is based on the short story by Donald A. Wollheim.

A disease carried by common cockroaches is killing children in Manhattan. In an effort to stop the epidemic, entomologist Susan Tyler (Sorvino) creates a mutant breed of insect that secretes a fluid to kill the roaches. This mutant breed was engineered to die after one generation, but three years later Susan finds out that the species has survived and evolved into a large, gruesome monster that can mimic human form.

*Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Mighty Aphrodite, 1995

**Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Milk, 2008

Pricing: Blu-ray Disc - $19.99

September 27, 2011

2. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

Seeing as how this release has new bonus materials including a Del Toro commentary, does this mean this is his new Director's Cut that he discusses 5:10 into this interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuftUzSLfp8&feature=player_embedded#at=311 Vincent

3. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Doubtful this is a different cut, otherwise it would have been exalted within the press release.

4. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Count me in either way. I must confess that this would be a blind buy for me, as I adore del Toro's work.

5. Brisby

Brisby Second Unit

I remember really liking this movie back in the day (in fact, it was probably the first Del Toro film I had seen at that point). Plus, Mira Sorvino at her late-90's hottest didn't hurt. :D And good cover art?! How the hell did that happen? :eek: I'll definitely pick this up after an appropriate price drop.

6. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I've been waiting for a decent release of this title through 2 formats. DVD provided a crappy release that was non-anamorphic from what I remember so I didn't even bother with it. Now that it's coming out on Blu-ray, this just makes my day. Will definitely be grabbing this one as I haven't watch the film since I saw it in the theatre back in the 90's......Damn, was it that long ago?!:eek:

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Lionsgate is proud to announce major updates to the September 27th Blu-ray Disc release of Mimic, now to be released as Mimic: The Director's Cut, including newly restored footage, a sound upgrade and the addition of another featurette to the list of never-before seen special features from director/co-writer Guillermo Del Toro.

Mimic: The Director's Cut on Blu-ray Disc

Audiences will experience High Definition thrills as Lionsgate debuts Guillermo Del Toro's never-before-seen director's cut of Mimic, available for the very first time anywhere, on 1080P High Definition Blu-ray Disc. This all new cut of the film, featuring seven minutes of restored footage, introduces subtle character moments that transform Mimic into a film that Del Toro fans and newcomers alike will embrace as the definitive version. Containing new bonus materials created especially for this release, the disc includes audio commentary and a video prologue from Del Toro plus three featurettes; a look at the creatures from the film, a behind-the-scenes retrospective on the shooting of Mimic and Del Toro discussing his vision of the film and how he completed this version, as well as deleted scenes, a gag reel and storyboard animatics. Mimic: The Director's Cut stars Academy Award® winner* Mira Sorvino (Mighty Aphrodite) and Academy Award® nominee* Josh Brolin (No Country for Old Men) along with Jeremy Northam (Showtime's "The Tudors").

Directed by Oscar® nominee Del Toro (Best Writing, Original Screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth, 2006), the Miramax film Mimic: The Director's Cut features a screenplay and screen story by Matthew Robbins & Guillermo Del Toro and is based on the short story by Donald A. Wollheim.

A disease carried by common cockroaches is killing children in Manhattan. In an effort to stop the epidemic, entomologist Susan Tyler (Sorvino) creates a mutant breed of insect that secretes a fluid to kill the roaches. This mutant breed was engineered to die after one generation, but three years later Susan finds out that the species has survived and evolved into a large, gruesome monster that can mimic human form.

*Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Mighty Aphrodite, 1995

*Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Milk, 2008

ALL NEW BLU-RAY DISC SPECIAL FEATURES*

· Video Prologue with director Guillermo del Toro- NEW

· Audio commentary with director/co-writer Guillermo Del Toro - NEW

· "Reclaiming Mimic" featurette - NEW

· "A Leap In Evolution - The Creatures of Mimic" featurette - NEW

· "Back Into The Tunnels - Shooting Mimic" featurette - NEW

· Deleted scenes - NEW

· Storyboard animatics - NEW

· Gag reel - NEW

· Theatrical Trailer

*subject to change

Pricing: Blu-ray Disc - $19.99

8. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    :tu:

9. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Awesome news!

10. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I am so very glad I was wrong...!

11. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Now I really am psyched, especially at this MSRP.