Lionsgate Press Release: Mad Monster Party: Special Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Lionsgate is proud to announce the upcoming DVD release arriving on September 8th - Mad Monster Party: Special Edition.

Mad Monster Party: Special Edition
    Mad Monster Party, the beloved animated Halloween classic, comes to Special Edition DVD this September from Lionsgate. Featuring the voices of horror film legend Boris Karloff (Frankenstein) as Baron Boris von Frankenstein and Golden Globe® nominee Phyllis Diller (TV's "The Pruitts of Southampton," Best TV Star-Female, 1966) as the Monster's Mate, Mad Monster Party: Special Edition is a hilariously spooky classic! This treasured stop-motion movie comes from the studios of Rankin-Bass - the team who created "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," "Frosty the Snowman" and other beloved holiday specials and has been called an inspiration for Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas. The Mad Monster Party: Special Edition includes a brand-new retrospective featurette and two fun sing-a-longs, and is encased in frighteningly fun neon O-card DVD packaging - making it the perfect treat for Halloween this year!

Baron Von Frankenstein has decided to retire as the head of the Worldwide Organization of Monsters. But first, he must inform the other monsters about his plans. How to deliver the news? How else - through a Mad Monster Party! Von Frankenstein's guests include a who's who of Halloween favorites, including The Werewolf, Dracula, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Mummy, The Invisible Man and more. But who among them is fit to be the new head of the monsters? Find out in this frighteningly fun holiday classic from Rankin Bass ("Rudolph the
    Red-Nosed Reindeer") that will leave kids of all ages howling with delight!
    Pricing: DVD $14.98

2. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Well, the price is right but I'm prefectly satisfied with my present Anchor Bay DVD, which is already pretty nice.

If Lionsgate is reading this... any chance of getting the rights to release WILLARD (1971) and BEN (1972)?

3. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen

I second that. Please give us something that has not been previously released. I to am happy with the Anchor Bay release and have not spent any mony on Lionsgate releases since a couple of westerns back in the spring.

4. JeffMc

JeffMc Supporting Actor

jeffmc

Thirded. What a useless release. The Anchor Bay version (they actually already released it twice!) is still readily available (you can buy it new at Amazon for $10) and was quite a nice package already. Oh well - this one will probably get in to Best Buy and make Lions Gate money for Halloween so all the power to 'em.

5. Rob Brown

Rob Brown Agent

I for one am glad that Lionsgate is rereleasing MAD MONSTER PARTY, as the Anchor Bay edition omitted a scream that falls at the very tail-end of the film. It's a minor omission, to be sure, but it's always irked me that it wasn't there. It irked me so much that I've held on to my VHS copy just because it's complete.

So, Lionsgate, if you happen to be reading this, PLEASE make sure that you have a copy of the complete film this time. If I find out that it's been corrected, you've got another sale. If not, then my Anchor Bay copy will suffice.

6. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

I doubt that Lionsgate will correct this missing scream. With little exception, as part of their deal, StudioCanal does all the extras and mastering and pretty much hands them the finished DVD to release. So it is likely they are just taking the same master they provided Anchor Bay, minus the previous supplements since AB owns those, creating a couple new things of their own, and turning it in.
    If StudioCanal had a U.S. office to address these issues to, it would really help things.

7. darkrock17

darkrock17 Supporting Actor

Andrew McClure
    I love Mad Monster Party. I am glad to see such a cult kiddie classic is still wildly remembered. I hope this long over due release gets some more features, but if not, then at least we get a nice documentary about the making of this classic film.

At the end of the movie, there is no scream, it is Yetch who is saying Yes!

8. SilverWook

SilverWook Cinematographer

Bill
    Strange, it always sounded like Franchesca was saying that to me.

The missing "yes" does show up on the trailer, which makes me wonder if the crappy source of every tv print and VHS had it spliced in somehow on the tail end? And it's not like the movie was remixed into stereo, so why would one tiny soundtrack component be missing?

9. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

It's Francesca saying 'Yeah" at the end- taken from the love song she sang to Felix in the jungle ("Never Was A Love Like Mine").

10. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

Hmmm, this was always on my B-list "to-get", but I never quite got around to it. I might have to see if the new one offers anything better.

11. darkrock17

darkrock17 Supporting Actor

Andrew McClure
    Are the pervious features from the Anchor Bay release, going to be carried over as which are the trailer, and photo galleries?

12. sestamuch

sestamuch Stunt Coordinator

Ah, often wondered about the end bit.