Lionsgate Press Release: Amélie (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, May 7, 2011.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Amélie

Nominated for five Academy Awards® including Best Original Screenplay and Best Cinematography, Audrey Tautou (Coco Before Chanel) stars as the French title character,Amélie, in this "sugar rush of a movie" (Elvis Mitchell, The New York Times) that earned People's Choice Award honors at the Toronto, Chicago and Edinburgh International Film Festivals. At a tiny Parisian café, the adorable yet painfully shy Amélie (Tautou) accidentally discovers a gift for helping others. Soon she is spending her days as a Cupid, guardian angel and all-around do-gooder. But when Amélie bumps into a handsome stranger, will she find the courage to become the star of her very own story?

July 19th, $19.95

[​IMG]

2. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    Nice to see this finally being released in the US. If I hadn't imported the second Canadian blu-ray, this would've been an automatic pre-order for me.

3. Brisby

Brisby Second Unit

I hope they include everything from the DVD.

Now, can we have Jeunet's underrated A Very Long Engagement on Blu?

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Awesome news. To judge how well my new Oppo upscaled I tried to watch the DVD of this a week ago. Even though the Oppo does the job well, it still was painfully obvious to me the difference in quality even from a well-upscaled DVD to Blu. Oh, and the blocky lettering on the DVD subs really bothered me. Looking forward to this one.

5. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Excited for this as well. One of my favorite films of the 'naughts.
    Quote: Originally Posted by bgart13

Nice to see this finally being released in the US. If I hadn't imported the second Canadian blu-ray, this would've been an automatic pre-order for me.

How's the Canadian transfer? This is such a colorful movie; it should make an awesome Blu.

Ditto, and ditto!!

6. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    Just ordered this one at Amazon...one of my favorite French romance/comedies!!!

7. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

Great news, a must have.

8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    This is a definite order for me. Haven't seen this film

in a few years but I remember enjoying it thoroughly.

Visit our [​IMG]DVD, [​IMG]BLU-RAY and [​IMG]3D REVIEW ARCHIVES

9. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

I have the 2nd Canuck release, too. I thought it looked very good. I had watched it on HDNet a few months before buying the BD, and it seemed to be from the same master, but looked better, of course. I expect this US release will be from the same master as the Canadian one.

Doug

10. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I have the last Canadian release too. It looks fine, better than I expected (Alliance had had a lot of flubs around that time). I vaguely remember something about the subtitles bothered me a bit, I think it was the translations for the subtitles, they may have been different (done in Quebec??) than from the DVD; anyway, they didn't always match my *own* translation lol, and some dialogue wasn't translated at all. I'm pretty sure all the extras from the 2-disc DVD are there, anything missing would have to be a very lesser feature. Just mentioning this in case the Lionsgate release doesn't pan out, but I don't see why it shouldn't (it's not Echo Bridge).