What's new

Lion King 1½ (1.5), SE of Lion King 2, and Finding Nemo DVDs (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Do the seasons really change? I'll have to go back and check that. Perhaps the castle operates on a different timescale to the rest of the world?

If the seasons really do change, then the timescale is even more messed up than I thought (one year!), and what I understood to be the reason for deleting Human Again (to omit references to the passage of time) makes no sense.

James Reader

Screenwriter
I just hope, when I'm a parent, that I will teach my kids to watch good quality films rather than any old crap Disney produces.
Well, yes Disney have produced some "crap" - Belle's Magical World being one release, but "Enchanted Christmas" can by no means be called "Crap" by anyone. Surely the worst anyone can call in with a true conscience is "average"?

The animation while not being up to "feature standard" is by no means poor. The new songs are actually rather good (especially "Stories" which is perhaps my favorite Disney song) and most importantly of all - the film has a good moral centre, but doesn't come across as preachy.

If enjoyable, well animated, moral films are "crap", just because as an adult you cannot accept some of the logical cartwheels needed for the setting of the story, or feel that there is no justification for a sequel (midquel, whatever) in the first place, then I suggest you view the film again through the eyes of your child.

Children (and some adults!) wanted to spend more time with the Beast and the castle staff in forms that they recognised and fell in love with. Disney, while perhaps not producing the best film that they could, produced a pretty good one.

I view all Disney sequels with an open mind. In principle there is nothing wrong with the concept of a sequel for anything. The problem comes with how the sequel is implemented. So far most Disney sequels have been average at best, but some have been outstanding (I actually hold "Return to Neverland" in higher regard than "Peter Pan").

Remember - even Shakespeare resorted to writing sequels to appease public demand!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well, yes Disney have produced some "crap" - Belle's Magical World being one release, but "Enchanted Christmas" can by no means be called "Crap" by anyone. Surely the worst anyone can call in with a true conscience is "average"?
Nah - it's crap. :D

Actually, it's decent for a direct-to-video project, but that makes it crap by other standards...

jim lupi

Grip
However, it's the film that is important don't you think?
>>>>

excellent point. Vid/sound are primary the fluff can take whatever space is left if any.
I really wish people would not get hungup on the packaging and supliments and demand the best possible transfers.

James Reader

Screenwriter
excellent point. Vid/sound are primary the fluff can take whatever space is left if any.
I really wish people would not get hungup on the packaging and supliments and demand the best possible transfers.
Why not demand both? Is there any reason why "Finding Nemo" has to come out this year? We waited for "Monsters, Inc." and it still sold just as well.

I'm just getting a little jaded with all these "rush released" quick turnaround DVDs - when it's not necessary.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Btw, is 1.5 same plot/story as Platinum?
What I've heard is that it starts with Timon & Pumba together as pals, and we meet their families and see how they set out "on their own" (but together). Then they discover young Simba in the desert and he joins them and they all hang out together. Then we see briefly see more about why they decide to follow Simba back to Pride Rock, and more about their side of the "battle" there. But the story doesn't end at the reclaiming of Pride Rock by Simba...it goes beyond the end of the first storyline to become a true "midquel", showing more about Timon & Pumba than you ever wanted to know! :)

Does it take you all the way to the events of LK2? I doubt it, though I suspect we'll see some of those characters and situations getting "set up" in the background (so that all three flow better as a trilogy when viewed "in order").

Keep in mind as you consider my words that this isn't "official"; that I've strung together bits and pieces that I've heard into one conherant thought as to what I think the new story will be like. I guess we'll see for sure when next spring hits, eh? :D

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm searching for the ultimate Disney Home Video/DVD site that used to be in someone's sig around here. Does anyone know the URL for that site?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks