What's new

Lindsay Lohan (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
And she's been arrested once more for punching another woman at a club.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/29/entertainment-us-lindsaylohan-idUSBRE8AS0LQ20121129

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Damn! I had "December" in the "When will Lindsay Lohan be arrested again?" pool. Off by two days. Counting last night's Powerball, that's two jackpots I've missed out on this week. :)
Joe

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, her death is quite possible and I feel bad about that. However, I feel much worse that the world is a cold enough place that many people seem to cheer her self-destruction on and will have an attitude of "Fuck her! She did it to herself!" rather than look at what should be seen as a sad loss of a very damaged human being who clearly needs help. I'm not big on whining about the good old days (especially since they probably aren't as good as people remember anyway) but I think it's pretty obvious that compassion and empathy are sorely lacking in today's world.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by TravisR /t/181332/lindsay-lohan/1050#post_4007379
Yeah, her death is quite possible and I feel bad about that. However, I feel much worse that the world is a cold enough place that many people seem to cheer her self-destruction on and will have an attitude of "Fuck her! She did it to herself!" rather than look at what should be seen as a sad loss of a very damaged human being who clearly needs help. I'm not big on whining about the good old days (especially since they probably aren't as good as people remember anyway) but I think it's pretty obvious that compassion and empathy are sorely lacking in today's world.
Well said.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
TravisR said:
I think the problem a lot of us have with her situation is that she gets chance after chance to get her life in order and continues to thumb her nose at the authorities. If you or I were in that same situation they would have locked us up years ago. She's coddled because of her celebrity. And the people that enable her will be just a culpable in her death as her idiotic behavior.
I have the unfortunate pleasure of having numerous family members who have substance abuse problems. And I can tell you there comes a point after a few years where the constant lying and stealing becomes too much. That's when you say "screw it" and write them out of your life forever. If you feel bad and continue to try and help them they will continue to take advantage of you. And that's exactly what Ms. Lohan is doing right now. As long as she continues to get chance after chance she will continue her self-destructive behavior.
So that's basically why I don't feel any sorrow or sympathy for her any longer. She's had her chances. She's been in detox centers that probably cost more per day than many of us pay for our mortgage every year. And she still doesn't care. So I'll save my compassion and empathy for those that deserve it, like the brave child facing cancer or the single mom working three jobs to provide for her children. Not for a spoiled, self-serving, self-destructive, coddled minor celebrity like Ms. Lohan.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Todd H said:
I think the problem a lot of us have with her situation is that she gets chance after chance to get her life in order and continues to thumb her nose at the authorities. If you or I were in that same situation they would have locked us up years ago. She's coddled because of her celebrity. And the people that enable her will be just a culpable in her death as her idiotic behavior.
I have the unfortunate pleasure of having numerous family members who have substance abuse problems. And I can tell you there comes a point after a few years where the constant lying and stealing becomes too much. That's when you say "screw it" and write them out of your life forever. If you feel bad and continue to try and help them they will continue to take advantage of you. And that's exactly what Ms. Lohan is doing right now. As long as she continues to get chance after chance she will continue her self-destructive behavior.
So that's basically why I don't feel any sorrow or sympathy for her any longer. She's had her chances. She's been in detox centers that probably cost more per day than many of us pay for our mortgage every year. And she still doesn't care. So I'll save my compassion and empathy for those that deserve it, like the brave child facing cancer or the single mom working three jobs to provide for her children. Not for a spoiled, self-serving, self-destructive, coddled minor celebrity like Ms. Lohan.
While some may call this harsh I agree completely. I lost my younger brother to Hepatitis 13 years ago, 5 years after the family had cut him out of our lives. There are plenty of examples of people with addictions that have managed to turn their lives around, both normal folks and celebrities, but they have to want to recover. Ms Lohan is still living in the same enabler surrounded fantasy world that killed Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Todd H said:
Ditto. Her celebrity and wealth have given her every opportunity to get the highest quality of help and treatment to turn her life around. Instead, she just continues to waste every ounce of talent and opportunity available to her.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Todd H said:
It might be surprising but I'm basically in agreement with you. I think it's entirely fair to feel that a person has had more than enough chances (though for Lohan, it's her ability to get a good lawyer that keeps her getting more chances and not her celebrity) to the point that you just have to be done dealing with them because it's most likely never going to change until tragedy strikes. Where I have a problem is when people have to take it to another level and seemingly root for the death of a person. In Lohan's case, that's an even more cold attitude because she's a total stranger who has done nothing more to nearly everyone except get stalked and overexposed by bottom feeders like TMZ and US Magazine. I think Lindsay Lohan is a mess of a human being and a most of her problems can only be blamed on her own actions BUT she's still a person and because of that, I feel some compassion for her and her screwed up life and wasted career.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Those scummy outfits come around because they have something to work with. I remember that both Marty Milner and Rick Schroeder said they'd finish filming and get the hell out of town to their quiet family lives. I never hear about what, say, Kristin Kreuk is up to. One assumes she isn't out acting line a fool every night. Maybe someone should be able to club every night without cameramen stalking you, but they definitely won't stalk you if you're "boring."

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Todd H said:
Absolutely dead on.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Gary Seven said:
Well, the only man here anyway  ;)
Maybe not the only one, but one of the few to admit it.
I sort of watched it, mainly because I'd read such horrible reviews I wan't to see how bad it really was, and it lived up to those reviews.
It was kind of one of those movies where you balance your checkbook, check e-mail, etc. while it's running because there's nothing worth watching. The guy playing Richard Burton wasn't bad, but Lohan was probably the most boring actress they could have chosen for the role. Not even the slightest attempt at "acting". She just read the lines, the only resemblance to Taylor was physical (hair, makeup and costumes), it almost could have been any other "generic" Hollywood actress in the role, nothing memorable at all.
No attempt at aging, just change the hairstyle and we're supposed to believe she's 40, then 60, whatever. The entire thing seemed rushed and overall was not very well done.
Although, I've never understood the fascination with Elizabeth Taylor. She was a terrible actress, more of a "celebrity" during her era, but it made her famous along with loads of cash, but her talents were pretty limited.
Who knows, maybe Lohan was actually playing the real Elizabeth Taylor, but nobody cared.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
^^^I wouldn't be so hard on Liz, having seen what I considered to be great performances in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. As for ms. Lohan's efforts they were bad. The best part of the portrayal could be attributed to the makeup dept's near perfect reproduction of Liz's slight double chin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks