LimeWire and NetBarrier X questions

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Angel Pagan, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

Can someone give me any info regarding these 2 programs?

I did a search on downloading music and LimeWire came up. How is this and how does file sharing work? Do I have to alter anything in system preferences?

I currently have Norton's Firewall but it's OS9. I have it running in classic on osX but after doing tests on Sygate Online Services and Shields Up!, the responses I was getting were either "blocked" or "closed". I did a search to see what else is available and found NetBarrier X. I installed the free basic version (try-out) and re-did the tests. They both came back "stealth". Anyone have NetBarrier X or have had any experience with it. Or maybe someone have other recommendations.

I'm not only a Mac newbie but a newbie when the internet is involved. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Angel

2. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Angel - As far as I know, Limewire seems to be the best peer to peer app on the Mac. You don't have to alter anything, just install it and start searching!

As for Firewalls, just use the built-in firewall in OS X.

3. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

How do I gain access to osX's firewall?

4. Patrick Larkin

Assuming you have Jaguar (10.2) you open "System Preferences" and click on "Sharing" and then the "Firewall" tab. Press the button to turn it on!

Be warned though that you probably won't be able to use Limewire with a Firewall turned on unless you know how to open ports.

5. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

I don't have Jaguar. No firewall on 10.1?

How can I go about learning how to open ports?

6. Patrick Larkin

No Firewall on 10.1. I'd seriously recommend spending money on the Jaguar update for more reasons than the Firewall, however.

7. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

Hey Patrick, thanks for the responses. I'll consider the upgrade. BTW, what other reasons are there?