What's new

lifting a z-71 (1 Viewer)

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 2001 z-71 extended cab shortbed, I have had the bug to try to make it look cooler. I want to do some kind of lift, but dont want to pay 1000 bucks for a lift kit. I was wondering if possibly upgrading to a larger tire such as the firestone destination MT would make it look better? I have 16" rims which are stock, and I would prefer not to have to buy after market wheels that are larger. any suggestions?

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Bigger wheels will require lifting the truck to get the proper clearance for the wheels. Bigger tires will affect the performance unless you do the job correctly and use lower gears (numerically higher) in the front and rear differentials. Breaking distances will increase and ABS may also be affected. Don't forget to have the speedometer recalibrated to compensate for the larger tires.

BDS Suspension and Rancho both make lift kits that, although expensive, are very well built.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I'm not at liberty to recommend a particular suspension brand.

Frank does make some good points. I've clocked a 6" lifted Chevy K-series(4wd) along side a stock and the difference has ranged from 7-10mph. Superlift offers a fairly inexpensive fix it, with the Tru-Speed sensor. They have issued a new number, as opposed to the 33003, that now addresses the ABS light issue. If you are going to tow, I second Frank's suggestion with a lower ring gear. Genuine gear offers very competitive pricing on these kits. These are all Timken bearings, made here in the U.S.A. If you were to buy separate, at a parts house, it would cost way more than these kits.

Steer clear of body lifts, and do some homework on the suspension brands. Careful of guys who down brand-X for a brand they stock. Remaining cryptic, stay with the brands that only offer 4"-6" kits. There are far more aggressive kits (as far as height) but they are nothing but junk and don't put half the funds toward R & D as some of the larger companies. These heights are moderate for your safety.

The Z-71 with a 6" lift, 315/75/R16 tires look fantastic. Look into the Pro-Comp X-Terrain tire as it is a directional tire and you wont go broke on amps to drown out the noise of the mud-terrains. They look great on anything from a Pro-Comp 1879, Weld Stonecrusher, and Robbie Gordon etc. Unfortunately, I'm afraid(not entirely sure without being at work) the stock wheels will not work after installation of the kit. You can pop them in the paper and get a nice little chunk though.

The 4WD kits can/will get pricey. Installation is a bitch and requires a few mods. On some kits, a slight transfer case cut across the fins, exhaust re-route and of course speedo calibration. This is on most, not all kits. In my experience any of the upper-end kits will require these modifications.

If you're only looking to go a size or two higher on the tire size. This can be done. It may require removal of the lower valance on the front bumper, a slight diagonal cut and possible partial mod on the inner fender wells. I do not recommend "stuffing" the wells with the largest possible tire like this though.

You're welcome to P.M. for a private recommendation on specific suspension lifts.

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
Well after hearing all you have to do to get a lift kit I will stay clear of those. I can't afford one anyway. I think im mainly interested in getting slightly larger tires( I have 265/70's on right now, but I understand you can go to 275/75 without any problems). If I got stiffer shocks or springs would that help raise it up possibly an inch?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks