What's new

LIFEFORCE SE desperately wanted... (1 Viewer)

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator

It's spelt Streatham ;o)
I'd imagine the 'West End' audience was more in shock, for paying so much, yet receiving so little in terms of a serious horror.

Still, I like it, and that's all the counts.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
While I believe him to be mistaken, someone's suggesting that the edition of Lifeforce contained in a current "They Came From Above" theme pack, together with Alien and Invasion of the Body Snatchers is actually anamorphic...

Finally! An anamorphic release of Lifeforce. - DVD Talk Forum

I checked the specs at dvdempire.com and they list it as standard, 1:33:1 (assumedly widescreen, as listed on the back of the box pic).

At any rate, anyone who can confirm what we can all pretty much safely assume with dread certainty--that it's non-anamorphic--that wants to go ahead and lock this in as that expected, un-enhanced transfer, please do so...in order to put me out of my hope, springing eternally misery...

--Jack

troy evans

Screenwriter
Not his first. He was in Excalibur a few years earlier. I feel this movie is underrated and is more deserving of a special edition director's cut than most films that end up getting them. Is the demand big enough for this release to get S.E. treatment? Would they even bother to restore it or just throw it out to us and say "there you go" ? I hope it'll come out with a director's cut, but, with so many films still unreleased, even to SD DVD, odds are certainly not in it's favor. It would be nice if MGM/SONY/FOX sold the "Lifeforce" film rights to Blue Underground or Starz/Anchor Bay. Then, we would have what we want.....eventually.....maybe......at least a better chance than we have now.

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee

I hope it's true. Also, we need to confirm if it is the shorter rescored version, which got a 16:9 DVD in Germany, or the longer cut

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
This is one of the first DVDs that came out. Why MGM was so stupid as to sell it, a 'spectacle' type film, non 16x9 will remain one of lifes mysteries.
There must be some rights hassle between the two versions-I would want both in an SE-Each has its merits
Surely they wont pass this up as a 2 disc release...the frikken question is WHEN? Apparently an HD master of the Theatrical has been on teevee

Speaking of Patrick Stewart -are we not waiting on a special-super deluxe-we got it right this time, SE of EXCALIBUR?

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

What I said was that those Londoners that saw the film along with Douglas WHEN IT FIRST OPENED shared my view (which is ALSO actually the reaction of actual people when the picture actually FIRST OPENED, just as actually valid I would think), and that I had some company in my viewpoint. I also said that none of the people I've watched it with over the years have laughed at it. I said nothing about Starlog Magazine, Leonard Maltin, or your friend. And of course I can accept that others enjoy it for different reasons, however wrongheaded they may be IMO. And you have no proof whatsoever that the majority of fans of the film like it because they think it's cheezy ridiculous guilty-pleasure fun. And one final "and"...I don't believe I've misspelled Quatermass as "Quartermass".

Jack Johnson

Second Unit

No word on the length, though the official packaging states 116 minutes.

But... The original poster who made the claim the new disc is anamorphic states he checked the dvd before posting to confirm, and also states there are other features on the dvds not mentioned on the packaging. This would almost suggest individual releases of these titles could be forthcoming.

But I would still say we need to take this with a grain of salt, since his is the only official word on the subject at present:

Finally! An anamorphic release of Lifeforce. - DVD Talk Forum

Addendum:

This guy sez: "My friend bought this not too long ago. Lifeforce has the same artwork as the older release. Body Snatchers is disc 1 from the SE. Great triple feature, but I would rather own 'em separately. Body Snatchers has some decent extras on the second disc." From here: http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/s...ad.php?t=37576

And of course, no mention of whether Lifeforce is anamorphic. Terribly hard to pin these things down. My advice, don't buy on the basis of the poster at dvdtalk until this gets sorted out...

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
none of the boxes list anamorphic even though we know 2 of them are-
at least Ill have the short 16x9 version and a 16x9 long version version-hopefully enhanced;
Some guy at DVD Talk has already viewed his and claims its true-16x9!

the LIFEFORCE is listed at 116 mins
THEY JUST CANT put this out flat-they must have made a HD transfer already for cable and a BR disc
------------
Amazon.us: Studio: Fox/MGM Home Video preorder: Sept 11, 2007

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Mark_TS wrote (post #96):

The film is better described as an electro-zombie-outer space naked vampire-reïncarnation/psychic transfer (unintentional?) laugh-fest. It's got at least a little of everything (except common sense). The charlatan producers Golan and Globus and their Cannon Group have to shoulder much of the blame for this turkey.

Yes, it's entertaining, but mostly for the wrong reasons.

Lifeforce = :laugh: Laugh Farce :laugh:

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
IMAX used Mancini's LIFEFORCE score as fanfare for its presentations for some years. Now, LIFEFORCE in IMAX; that would be something (and I genuinely enjoy the movie, which I saw opening day in 1985 and revisit on the international cut DVD from time to time).

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee

Very poor of that original poster on DVD Talk. You can tell it's non-anamorphic even on a good zoom cause the Cannon logo was stretched to 4:3

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Original VOB file/disc release dates are 1998

OK, here we see a grab of LIFEFORCE Dec 11, 2007 VOB file dates at DVD Talk-but why remaster it only to throw it into the bargain bin without enhancing it??(I know that a VOB date doesnt NECESSARILY mean new transfer/anamorphic)

The guy that started the thread swears it IS enhanced- but............ he has only 3 posts under his belt
Maybe GERMANY will again pull through with an enhanced 116min version

BUT THIS I THOUGHT, WOULD BE A NO-BRAINER FOR THE JAPANESE--

They seem to LOVE the film, as they keep re-releasing the disc over and over every 6 months at a "new" price break for the past 5 years

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
When I started reading this post I jumped up and went to Circuit City to get a copy. They were sold out, thank goodness. I would have been mad when I found out the transfer was not anamorphic. Maybe the original poster worked for Circuit City.

On a side note, I do not think MGM has the interest in working on these “classic” titles as long as Fox is distributing them. They were very disappointed in last year’s Midnight Movie series and since then the number of classic titles has diminished. The Fox agreement lasts about three more years, I hope it does not take that long for some of these desperately wanted titles to see the light of day.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Has any fully debunked a 16x9 LIFEFORCE touted over at DVDTalk?

I CANT believe that spectacle 'scope picture is treated this way
Im sure its been a steady seller for MGM

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Sigh...yet another missed opportunity.

Oh well, at least what we have is better than the old cut & cropped VHS version...there was a time when I never dreamed I'd see it appear extended and widescreen on laserdisc (which I snapped up as soon as it streeted, I was so excited). But man, what a candidate for a special edition...I'd love to hear the thoughts of Hooper and O'Bannon on the film (and the cast as well, natch) and its divided reception from fans and almost overwhelmingly negative reception from critics. Throw in the making-of featurette and as much surviving footage from the cutting-room floor they can cram on, and it would rocket to the top of my wish list. Oh yeah, and a brand-new anamorphic transfer from hi-def, nearly forgot. :) Oh yeah, and a trailer that will actually PLAY would be nice; can I assume it plays this time 'round? And is it in widescreen, or is it nearly full-frame like on the LD?

Largo

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
You can add my vote for a multi-disc SE edition of Lifeforce. This film is my favorite guilty pleasure flick. Not enough can be said about the eerily beautiful Mathilda May who was absolutely perfect as the space vampiress. Thanks for all of these wonderful comments here and for the info about the German DVD release -- which I just ordered. I can tell you more about that later. :D

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

That's weird as the trailer on my disc has always played fine on various players. I even just tried it again on a new cheap DVD player I recently got just to check it out. It played perfectly fine on that one as well. By the way, even just watching the original theatrical trailer again proves just what an all-out laugh-riot this movie really is. OK - some of us disagree about the movie, but that trailer is hilarious in itself.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
God only knows why TH chose Steve Railsback to jabber with Brit Shakesperean Thespians and the like.
Even their having a good time of 'slumming' it-in a ridiculous horror/zombie film must have been awkward at times for them and Railsback.

With all the sets and SPFX being left intact (the alien sets), I wish Ridley Scott had directed this.
The alien ship was a wonder to behold-and would have been nice to see more of. John Greysmark work, I beleive.
I watched it last might and wondered many times: "WHAT the hell were they thinking?"

Putting a "B-" movie director in charge of a multi million dollar epic......that became a....multi million dollar "B-" movie. No wonder Golam Globus in pure panic, pulled the money plug and had someone else re-edit and re-score parts of the film....I dont think this was the film they thought they were getting.
Hasnt it been noted elsewhere that Steven Speilberg did the same with Hooper on POLTERGEIST and finished the film himself?

Keeping this bumped may catch the eye of someone at FOX/MGM...
hopefully. Just seeing Matilda May anamorphically enhanced, would be worth the price of admission alone. (not that she needs any enhancement)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks