What's new

Life on Mars (US) season 1 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

I think the thing is, many who watched the UK show found it original, done in an original way, etc. So, when you see it remade, no matter how well it is remade, it's hard to live up to the original.

The UK version is different from the US version, and it's hard for some to seperate them. The UK version is like that old blanket you've had since you were in college. You love it. You know everything about. So, when you buy a new one, even though it's the same comforter, same company.. you can nitpick it because of things that have changed.

Just the way it goes.

That said, I do find the UK version superior in almost every aspect. That is a problem because so far, the US version hasn't offered anything "new". For those who've seen both seasons of the UK version, these episodes are like watching repeats.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Thought this hostage episode was the weakest one so far, but it ended strong. It's still driving me crazy that Tyler is making ZERO effort to prove he is from the future. Man if it were me I would be dropping "predictions" left and right, if for no other reason than to have some fun with people.

EricW

Senior HTF Member

my reasoning for watching the UK version was that i knew it was critically well received, and already had an ending. i didn't want to risk an inferior US version that might suck and prematurely end, and at the same time ruin the UK version for me. so if the US version evolves and grows away from the UK version, even better.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Really enjoying this show and hope it survives or is at least given a chance to end gracefully, not just have the plug pulled.

I had never heard of the UK version until reading this thread, but now would like to see it sometime in the future.

Thank you to everyone for their use of spoilers.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

Great music! So far we've had:

Episode 1: Life On Mars (David Bowie), Ground Zero (Chris Cornell), Signs (Five Man Electric Band), Baba O'Riley (The Who), Little Willy (The Sweet), Out Of Time (The Rolling Stones).

Episode 2: All The Way To Memphis (Mott The Hoople), Get Down (Gilbert O'Sullivan), Life On Mars (David Bowie), I Am A Rock (Simon and Garfunkel).

Episode 3: Sweet Cherry Wine (Tommy James And The Shondells), I'm Chief Kamanawanalea (The Turtles), Just A Little Lovin' (Dusty Springfield), Reflections Of My Life (Marmalade).

Episode 4: Mother and Child Reunion (Paul Simon), Rock and Roll (The Velvet Underground), Bang a Gong (T. Rex), Lucky Lady (Jones Brothers), 20th Century Man (The Kinks), Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress (The Hollies), Long Promised Road (Beach Boys).

Episode 5: Wild In The Streets (Garland Jeffreys), I'm Gonna Keep On Loving You (Kool Blues), Come On And Get It (Marion Black), He Keeps You (Boscoe), Anywhere In Glory (Mighty Indiana Travelers), Everybody Is A Star (Sly & The Family Stone), Black and White (Three Dog Night).

Episode 6: Sweet Lucy (The Propositions), We're an American Band (Grand Funk Railroad), Going To Make a Time Machine (Majestic Arrows), Tuesday's Dead (Cat Stevens).

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

Interesting, also given that networks pull the plug on so many new shows like My Own Worst Enemy. I wouldn't be surprised if they did cancel Mars because of the ratings which never really took off. I think Heroes is on the edge with them replacing the new writers to see if they can save that show and don't expect it back for a 4th season unless things really turn around for the new staff and show direction.

Will be interesting to see what happens to Mars.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You're probably right. It's the only television show I watch so if it gets cancelled it's back to zero network television for me except news and sports.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which is my point, by never seeing the original it's like seeing stuff brand new without any prior knowledge.

Crawdaddy

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Was that ending tonight similar to the UK version?

Also, now we have a long break before this comes back or something, don't we?

I hate cliffhangers sometimes. :P

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The ending was quite different. In the UK version, Sam decided to let his father run away so he wouldn't traumatize his family by arresting him. I don't think he was shot. The business at the very end is a completely new idea. The business of it being Annie in the red dress and Sam remembering the repressed memory of her chasing his father and his father turning on her was similar to the UK version.

It comes back with new episodes on January 28 - on Wednesday's following Lost.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
I think this is the first time I've liked the U.S. version of a re-made U.K. episode better. This was a pretty good re-telling. It gives me hope for the U.S. version.

And Music from this episode was: Everything I Own (Bread), Reeling In The Years (Steely Dan), Spaceman (Harry Nilsson), and once again Life On Mars (David Bowie).

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Finally got to see the unaired pilot on this the other day. I like elements of both the Aired and Unaired, For example the Unaired Takes Place in Los Angeles not NY, and While I can see why they switch (especially showing the Towers in the Pilot) it almost feels in the Aired show that he has come back to the TV/Movie Idea of the 1970's. Like he's beamed into an episode of Kojak. The LA Setting was undoubtely 1970 but more low Key.

Also lower key and less over the Top, and therefore more Believable was the performances for Colm Meaney and Lenny Clark. I've always enjoyed both, Colm from DS9 and Lenny From the Job and Rescue Me. Now Scoring Keitel and Impierioli were big, but there performances really are out there. While Meany and Clark give good understated performaces. Gretchen Mol is the one bit of casting that I found better in the new version, however the performance of her character in the original was less subserviant, she was a detective, things were not quite as backward, there were female detectives just not a whole lot of them and they were'nt treated very well.

I like the fact that the new version keeps you a bit more in the dark on his situation. Both versions are decent and I hope the show sticks around a bit.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Any guesses on what's in the basement? I wasn't happy to see that I would have to wait until January to find out but I guess that's a good indication of how much I like the show.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

I like how Sam's mother's name is Rose Tyler. I read that the daughter of the creator of the UK version is a big Doctor Who fan and that's where the name came from.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
It seemed to me that they sort of toned down the music in this episode, I wonder if they were trying to cut costs or something?

Also, was it just me or did they totally ignore that phonecall cliffhanger from the last episode?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks