What's new

Life On Mars (UK) (1 Viewer)

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't bet on that happening. BBC appears to have a policy of trying to make sure R1 releases list for amounts that don't make them a particularly better deal than what R2 people are paying domestically - they want to discourage people from Britain from importing cheaper versions from America or elsewhere (that may not be the best statement of the policy and I'm fairly sure there are exceptions, but I think that's the general cause/effect in place). I get the impression that if it costs them overseas sales, they're not too concerned about it.

So I'd guess about a $60 MSRP, maybe $50. Sort of like what you get with MI-5/Spooks.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
A friend had PAL copies from his friends in the UK. I just popped the DVDs into the PC and the episodes run from 59:00 for the first one to 57:30 for the second with several weighing in at 58:00 to 58:30 (this includes the "next on" segments at the end).

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
That means there is at least 15 minutes cut from each episode.

That is more than 1/4 of the show cut out. Unaceptable.

I am not watching any more hour long shows on BBCA.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
BBCA already shows some programs that are longer than standard length. Some of the sitcoms they give 40 minuites to. I assumed this was to show them original length and still get their comercials in. Why can't they do this to the hour long shows?

I had already stopped watching Hex because it was hard to keep up with and because the editing was confusing. Now I realize why that is. They had to remove 25% of it. Of course it is not going to make sense.

Well the bright side, this makes my tv viewing decisions easier now.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Sent my complaint. I wonder why they don't just do this as a 90 minute show. That would be perfect. It is one less half hour show somewhere else but there has to be some flab that can be cut.

I shudder to watch Spaced for I hear they had to cut it and the music from it to air it over here. I have those DVD's so no worries. That might be the way to go for Life on Mars, too. Sadly, as I really want to see it NOW!!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I was fairly certain this show was being edited down to fit the time slot with commercials. This is exactly what A & E did for the show MI-5.

As far as prices for a possible DVD set, one of the 6 episode seasons of Cold Feet lists for $60. So, I too, don't see the price for a dvd set for this show to be very cheap.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Wow, I was just banned from the BBC America discussion forums for asking about how much of this show was edited to make room for the commercials.

I got no email, or explanation.

I guess they are feeling like they were caught red handed and they are trying to cover it up.

My post was polite, and asked a serious question. Can't understand why they would ban me for it.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I just discovered that if you have "On Demand" you can watch the unedited episode a day or so after they debut on BBCA. I just watched the first two episodes and they are a lot better with the extra seven or eight episodes. I will definatly put Life On Mars on my to buy list.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Oddly enough, I got a response from BBCA on my complaint about losing time with Life on Mars. How cool is that? Not good news, of course, but still nice to get a response.

Dear Mr. Florian,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We're delighted to hear you've
been enjoying BBC America's "Life on Mars" and are always pleased to hear
from our loyal viewers. As you may or may not know, due to differences
between the British and American television industries as well as
scheduling issues, BBC America is occasionally faced with the onerous task
of re-editing and formatting programs before they air, in order to fit
American programming clocks. However, please rest assured that every effort
is taken to preserve as much of the original UK show as possible, given
these inescapable restrictions.

Unfortunately, we regret to inform you that at this time, there are no
plans to air unedited episodes of "Life on Mars" on BBC America in the
immediate future. However, please know that BBC America takes the opinions
of viewers such as yourself very seriously and that we will forward your
remarks on to the appropriate department(s).

We thank you again for your comments.

Regards,
Barbara
Viewer Relations
BBC America

"

Well, better than silence. That said, can't wait for the DVDs!

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I notice that the BBC is up to episode 3 in season two. I hope we don't have to wait too long before we get season two here in the states. And I just want to remind you guys if you have Comcast On Demand, they do show the full length episodes there. Possibly Direct TV and the Dish Network do the same.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I recall reading awhile back that there was going to be a U.S. version of Life on Mars. Nothing seemed to come of it so perhaps the plan was nixed.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I also recall reading this when the British version was first being shown on BBC America, but I have not heard anymore about a US version. I would really enjoy watching it.

Mary_P

Second Unit
Again citing The Futon Critic, it's still listed as "currently in development" for the 2008-2009 season, from David E. Kelley Productions. Leading roles of Sam Tyler (Jason O'Mara) and Gene Hunt (Colm Meaney) have been cast. And, oooh, Tommy Schlamme's directing the pilot.

Looking forward to this, as well as to season two of the British version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks