What's new

LG BH100 HD DVD / Blu-ray hybrid player (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Yeah, it doesn't really make much sense. Perhaps CES came before they were really ready to debut. For the same price, one could easily buy separate HD DVD and BD players and get full functionality.

Shaun

Second Unit
Whatever happens, I think we NEED a dual-format player on the market as soon as possible. Hopefully, from manufacturers other than the questionnable LG. It seems certain that at least for the next year, neither format is going away and I, like many others, only have a single 5.1 input on my AV receiver, with no HDMI inputs. I don't want to have to sacrifice lossless audio on one format for the other by having to purchase a separate Blu-Ray player to go with my HD-A1, just so I can take advantage of the impressively growing list of titles on both sides that are available now and scheduled for release in 2007. I understand that there is a 5.1 channel switcher out there, but it's quality seems questionnable to me as does it's price tag.

I have been a proud owner of the HD-A1 since September, with over 30 HD-DVDs. I love HD-DVD. However, Blu-Ray is really starting to look good at this point, considering the titles expected to be released this year. It's getting hard to resist.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Oh, I agree full heartedly!
But a proper one, of course. For me it doesn't have to be fully-fledged, but of course it should work minimally as a standard player on both its formats.

Cees

Neal_C

Second Unit
I'm behind a dual player as well, as long as it has the same functions for both formats and we aren't getting charged a $200 convenience fee for having the all in one unit.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
From what I read earlier though, LG "promises" to release a player that meets standards for HD-DVD. We'll find out soon I guess :)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
From what I've read on AVS, LG might release the player as an "official" Blu-Ray unit that just happens to include the capability to also play HD DVD discs. But all of the logos and packaging will include Blu-Ray insignias without the official HD DVD logo.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I also hear that while the Bluray side of the player will contain the full interactive ability. The HD-DVD side of the player will not include the interactive ability of a stand alone HD-DVD player. This would be the last player I would spend my money on. IMHO LG is not a good quality player and I am not a fan of there tv's ether. When I see LG I still see the Goldstar brand and something that has questionable build quality. So for that reason and for the player not having full HD-DVD functionality. Oh and the fact that it is so ugly that it makes my HD-A1 look as nice as my Sony DVP-S9000 ES. :laugh: I am willing to bet that this LG ends up with poor reviews and will most likely be worse than the Samsung before the firmware update.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
If this article is correct, it looks like the Dual Foramt player is now available.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Yep, looks like it's been spotted at Comp USA? and I think Circuit City is readying for it's arrival too.

I hope it is successful...and then make one about half that price & I'm in! :)

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
The only issues I see with this in the market is that it represents Blu at it fullest and cripples HD-DVD...

So anyone buying a movie on HD-DVD will get jilted without the IM, U-Control and HDi menu features....

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, I agree. I would love to have a dual player so that both formats could be hooked up to the receiver via the analog cables for losless audio. But who knows if this will even play every HD DVD in release now, or in the future?

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I've already seen reports that LG's 2nd Gen BD/HD DVD hybrid player will be available as early as June, and that it will feature full HD DVD functions.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Based on the review, it probably could satisfy 95% of the consumer population, but at 1200, I just don't see this as being attractive to the average consumer. I would certainly wait for the 2nd generation and a side by side by side comparison between all three machines as to picture quality, and sound. Tax time is coming up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks