What's new

LG BH100 HD DVD / Blu-ray hybrid player (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

I also agree, finally it will be up to us to decide which format we want or allow both formats to co-exist for a little while anyway. Can't wait for that first comparison review between the two formats.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Another ditto....They allegedly WILL be releasing combo players later this Spring that will be able to read the HDi thingy or whatever it's called. I read the link on avs but due to high traffic I won't be able to return there until after the format war has ended. ;)

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
The LG BH100 player sounds interesting, although for me there are at least a couple of drawbacks that would persuade me to wait for a second-generation follow-up model:

1. It can't play CDs - this was apparently omitted from this first model to make the engineering simpler (i.e. to get the prototype ready in time to demo it at CES).

2. The HDMI connection supports only HDMI 1.2. I would be looking for HDMI 1.3 in any High Def DVD player.

I'm also wondering what design compromises have been made in the upscaling capability, compared to the Toshiba XA2. (I'm not even sure whether it upscales to 1080p or only 1080i.)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I look forward to how the LG player does. But I am more looking forward to HD DVD/BD players from Pioneer, Denon, etc. I guess we can count out Sony though. :)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While I would consider a dual format player, it sure would not be a LG! And I sure would not pay over $1k for a LG especially for a player that is that ugly. More importantly I would not trust that the LG would be any better than the Samsung. I am going to go out on a limb and say the LG will most likely be one of the worst HD players made so far.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
LG is going to also release the drive separately for $1200. Link According to the LG press release this drive WILL support iHD where as the STB will not. Interesting... that would point to a firmware issue with the STB since I would assume these are identical drives.

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jup
there also coming out with dual discs. Same size as a dvd but one side is blue ray while the other is hd dvd. that might be a good thing?

Neal_C

Second Unit
A couple other things concern me about this player:

1) The price point of $1199 is rediculous. I would spend less money and buy a player in each format. My reasoning, other than the less money part, is that if the dual player dies, I can't watch any HD movies. If I own 2 different players and one dies, I can still watch the other format while the player gets fixed or replaced.

2) LG is not getting approval from the DVD Forum to use HD-DVD. LG conveniently left out the interactive menu system for HD-DVD while having it equipped for Blu-Ray. This will either delay the release of the unit or scratch the release altogether.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
IMHO the idea of a dual disc is horible and will only confuse many of the consumers who are allready confused.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I run into people all the time at my local retailers that do not know what Blu-ray or HD-DVD is. They pick up the HD discs and do not even realize that they do not have a dvd in there hands. So while there are some people out there that know the difference. They know what each HD disc is and what it offers, there are even more that have no clue!

Most of us here at these HT forums are a small percentage of the consumer base that keeps up on the new technology's. The rest of the consumers are in the dark. :frowning:

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
If a Universal player comes out that does 1080p and does it well, then I will take the leap.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Apparently they take it seriously and want money.
Ha, ha, suits are put on, guns loaded... War noises. Their real message is: "we want (more) license fees".

Cees

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I think LG is a company that has come a long way from their Goldstar beginnings. I wouldn't not buy this due to the LG name.

The crippled HD DVD, however, is another story.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The machine would play menues on the BD-side, but not on the HD DVD side??

What were they thinking?

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks