What's new

LFE and LPF Settings (1 Viewer)

chrisdoha

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Varghese
Hello all

Ive tried really hard to understand the concept of LFE and LPF...bt no luck.. So heres my setup

Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR707
Front Speakers- Polk Audio RTi A7
Rear Speakers- Yamaha NS 50F
Centre- Polk Audio CSi A4
Sub- Polk Audio DSW Pro 600

I did the amp calibration (Audessey) and this is the result

Front Speakers- Full Band
Centre- 40 Hz
Rear Speakers- 40Hz

I don think these r optimum settings cos my rear speakers have got really good woofers. Anywys my polk sub has a LPF knob...range is 60- 120Hz and my amp has LFE range frm 80Hz to 120Hz.

Now how is the sub LPF setting supposed to match with crossover settings of the speakers and LFE settings.

Also shud the LPF on the sub be really low lik 60Hz or at its max. I want maximum bass.

I tried reading crossover freqs of my speakers bt dint understand a word.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
These are your rear speakers!

No matter how good the woofers are in your speakers the one in the sub woofer is even better. Let it do it's job.

Go back into the Onkyo's speaker setup menu and set the fronts and surrounds to 80hz and the center to 100hz. The knob on the back of the sub should be set to it's highest setting or 120. The cross-over should be performed by the receiver, not the sub woofer. Setting the LPF on the sub to anything other than the highest setting means both the receiver and the sub are trying to do the same thing.

LFE and LPC are two completely different things. LFE (Low Frequency Effects) is deep bass added to movie soundtracks to really give it some umph!

LPF (Low Pass Filter) is the frequency at which the sub no longer produces sound. Even though common sence suggests it should be set to the same number as the highest setting in the receiver (in this case, 100hz for the center), the cross-over points aren't really points but slopes. A 100 hz setting can still filter thru a higher signal so it's best to just set the sub's LPF to it's highest setting.

BTW, some subs also have a High Pass Filter which prevents it from trying to produce frequencies higher then that setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks