What's new

Lexicon to Rotel...Opinions Wanted. (1 Viewer)

Eric A

Second Unit
I currently own a Lexicon DC-1 v4 and I am considering moving to a Rotel 1066 processor. My reasoning is to gain multichannel analog bypass for SACD. I must have a one box solution. First of all I am having great reservations because I do not know how much I will miss the flexibilty of the Lex and the additional processing modes. The main reason I am considering the Rotel in solely based on a $1500 budget. I hope to sell the Lex and add a couple hundred bucks. I know how good my system is with the Lex but I am wondering if today's technology has caught up with a 4 year old processor yet. I have seen and heard the Rotel and I am impressed but I cannot truly evaluate it unless I have it in my home which is not an option. Will I truly be disappointed in overall sound quality? Is DPLII truly a substitute for Logic 7? Is DPLII Music as good as Music Logic and Music Surround? All these are questions I have because I am sure they will be as important as having the ability to listen to SACD. Thanks for the opinions.

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
For the same money as the upgrade would likely cost you, can't you get the Sony 5.1 (or whatever it is) switch... I even imagine to make your own dedicated, high quality 5.1 switch would not be that hard...

M.

Holger

Stunt Coordinator
@eric,
by all means DON'T DO IT, i'm serious about it. i promise, you will never be happy again if you downgrade to the rotel. the rotel might give you the *advantage* of an analog 5.1 pass trough, but what else? and what else can the rotel do better then the lex? the answer is NOTHING.
now you should consider how excellent cd's sound when they are played back in the *music surround* or *music logic* mode. so you can have surround sound basically from every source you can imagine and that's all what dvd-a and sa-cd is about isn't it?
but the biggest step backwards would be IMO the loss of logic7. nothing what the industry offers today comes even close to this fantastic surround mode (with exception of some great sounding meridian modes perhaps).
to compare dolby pro logic2 with logic7 is something similar as to compare a .22 with a .45
while the .22(dpl2) can give you some really fun but only works on small targets (two channel material in this case), the .45(logic7) gives you the real impact :D on big targets (5.1 sources)
you better reconsider all that, before you make a final decision.
regards, holger

Ned

Supporting Actor
Is the DC-1 as good as the DC-2/MC-1/MC-12 as far as getting into Logic 7? I want the cheapest entry into Lexicon but it's hard to tell the differences between each unit. Someone experienced with each please outline the differences.

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
If your going to have add even more money after selling the lex and your really happy with Logic 7, keep it. I know you said it has to be a one box solution but, I agree with Mark L. keep the Lex add a little extra money and get the TA-P9000ES.

Another option to possibly consider might be the HK AVR8000. I've seen many posts saying the HK AVR8000 applies Logic 7 over DD and DTS, but I'm unsure as to whether or not it has the tweaks like panorama, tilt, vocal enhance, bass enhance etc. that lex has.

BeatCrazy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
Please don't sell the Lex for the Rotel. Although the Rotel is a great piece, the Lex is the cream of the crop. I've owned a DC-1 V4 for ~6 months and wouldn't trade it for anything! I've had lots of time/experience with the Rotel and it does good for the $$, but is no Lexicon.

You WILL miss Logic 7. DPLII tries hard, but doesn't come close especially with all the adjustable parameters in the Lex.

Ned,
"Is the DC-1 as good as the DC-2/MC-1/MC-12 as far as getting into Logic 7? I want the cheapest entry into Lexicon but it's hard to tell the differences between each unit. "

The DC-1 V4 is on par with the DC-2 and MC-1, but the MC-12 is a much newer, more powerful processor (and more $$). If you don't need extensive video switching capabilites or 5.1 inputs and 4 digital inputs will do ya, then the DC-1 is a damn good value with all of the current formats supported. Trust me, you won't need DPLII when you hear Logic 7.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I'm an happy RSP-1066 owner, but I cannot let you do this lateral move. My friend got a Lexicon DC-1, and I think it is superior to my RSp-1066 system. Don't get me wrong, I'm a "Rotel fanboy" (and proud of it), but you should keep the Lexicon;)

Ned

Supporting Actor
What's a fair price for the fully loaded DC-1 now? (DTS version with THX and AC3)

Seems like the only source to buy are these Ebay sellers like downtown audio and such.

What do you gain going from the DC-1 to DC-2?

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Ned,

i think they are worth around >$1100 USD or so.. There isn't much difference between the DC-1 and the DC-2 except the number of inputs..

Craig

Eric A

Second Unit
OK, OK, OK... You guys are just confirming what I already knew. Sometimes you need someone to talk you off the ledge before you jump. I will definitely be keeping my Lex. The best advice came from Holger. I went out and listened to multichannel SACD through a MC-12 today and then we switched over to Music Logic on the same SACD processed through the Lex and I truly could not hear a great deal of difference in sound quality. There was a definite difference in the way the multichannel mix came across but I cannot say I did not prefer the Music Logic. It sounded a bit more subtle and the sounstage across the front might be a bit more coherant. Thanks again and I will be putting my money in better places.

JaleelK

Second Unit
I would agree, you should never spend more money to make a lateral grade. As far as 5.1 inputs go, I would ignore that factor in any purchasing decision, DVD-A and SACD, at this point is a joke, those two formats that are basically on life support, the Grim Reaper of audio/video formats is chasing these two formats big time.

JaleelK

Second Unit
now you should consider how excellent cd's sound when they are played back in the *music surround* or *music logic* mode. so you can have surround sound basically from every source you can imagine and that's all what dvd-a and sa-cd is about isn't it?
Absolutely not. DTS, DD, SACD and DVD-A are true discrete multichannel formats. They are not processed matrixed type formats like Pro-logic 2, DTS-neo6 and Logic 7. The sound that you hear going through the channels in DTS, DD, DVD-A and SACD are intended to go to those various channels from begining to end. Anytime you engage PL-2, DTS-neo, Logic 7,Circle Surround, you are changing the real sound of what the artist and intended. They maybe great matrixed formats, but they can't touch true discrete mutlichannel audio formats.

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
I see you already made up your mind but just wanted to tell you I made the mistake of getting rid of logic7 once....never again though lol I just got the hk8000 so I am happy again :)

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
WOW, I was going to come on here and say how much I love the sound of the Rotel and that 3 friends I have in the industry feel like it is the best piece under $3000 (retail) etc, etc....infact I had a parasound before and I think it sounds better/cleaner.
BUT, sounds like that would eb stupid for me to recommend considering I have never heard Logic 7 (i guess I will not run out and listen since I am not planning on gettting anything new). Actually I love 2 channel a lot, so I am not sure what the logic 7 will do for me, but I will be safe and not even try it (I am still kicking myself for driving my buddies Ferarri 360 Modena, since I will NEVER beable to own such a vehicle, and now I expect everything to be as good as that car-NO CHANCE, but I still plan in a new 350Z :)
WHen I was looking for options and since I have multi-channel SACD and DVD-A I was also looking at keeping my Parasound and getting the sony TAP, that is what you might want to look into-GOOD LUCK

Holger

Stunt Coordinator
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------
Absolutely not. DTS, DD, SACD and DVD-A are true discrete multichannel formats. They are not processed matrixed type formats like Pro-logic 2, DTS-neo6 and Logic 7. The sound that you hear going through the channels in DTS, DD, DVD-A and SACD are intended to go to those various channels from begining to end. Anytime you engage PL-2, DTS-neo, Logic 7,Circle Surround, you are changing the real sound of what the artist and intended. They maybe great matrixed formats, but they can't touch true discrete mutlichannel audio formats
------------------------------------------------------------

@ jallelk,

of course you are right with your statement that dd, dts,
dvd-a and sa-cd are discrete sound formats. but when it comes down to listen to music in multichannel surround where is those formats advantage over (world class) matrix derived sound? IMO the goal on multichannel music is to create a believable sense of spacious and a believable sense of reverb/ambience. that is exactly what happens if you switch on a lexicon decoder to *music surround*, *music logic* or *panorama* for that matter.

many of the so called *discrete multi channel music recordings* can only be considered as a joke, when they start putting the listener in the middle of the stage (orchestra in front of you and singers/vocals in your back for example), rather then put a believable reverb/ambience to your back and the whole music - orchestra AND singers/vocal in your front. IMO this kind of recordings is pure nonsense and got absolutely nothing to do with a real life experience.

another joke is the fact, that in our digital world an *ancient* 6channel analog connection have to be made to bring those hi-rez formats to life. this is IMO again, probably the biggest joke of all the industry *offers* to the customers, since the invention of the dvd region codes (which do not work at all, at least over here in europe).

regards, holger

Dan Harmer

Agent
Well, I can't speak much for the Lexicon either from first hand experience, but for what it's worth, a reputable audio dealer of both Lexicon and Rotel preamps in my area recommended the Rotel 1066 over a used Lexicon DC1 or DC2 with Version 4 software (which he also had available).
I also seem to remember reading that S/N ratios, etc quite a bit lower for the older DC1, so I would be persuaded to go with a newer Lexicon over an older one. Don't the various Lexicons have different DACs, etc? I guess what I'm getting at is that, from what I've understood about the various Lexicons, you can get V4 software that will decode everything that the newer MC-1 (& MC-12?) will, but just there are still differences in the hardware which affects the quality of the sound.
I for one plan on giving Logic 7 a listen, as many people rave about it. I've noticed though that Lexicon enjoy's a very loyal following, or at least their owners seem to voice their satisfaction a little louder than others ;)
Personally, I'm in the market for a new preamp to match my Rotel RMB-1095 amp, and was leaning to the Rotel based off of much reading and dealer recommendations to meet a $1300-$1500 price point. I've also considered the Anthem as an upgrade. Given a $1500 cut-off, what would give me the best 6.1 surround sound, and DVD-Audio/SACD capability? Hmmm...

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
Logic7 is just so good that it ruins you, after you have used it for a while anyway....I listen to some good 5.1 dts stuff and I say wow, I listen to logic 7 laid over the same scene and its like oh my God :) so yes I agree that if you have no plans to aquire logic7 it is best not to ever hear it or you will never be happy til you get it. who knows the 7200 might be the start of the technology trickle down, you may be able to get full blown logic 7 on a 500.00 reciever by next year. :)

David S

Stunt Coordinator
"SACD, at this point is a joke, those two formats that are basically on life support, the Grim Reaper of audio/video formats is chasing these two formats big time".

Please elaborate, cause do not agree here. Neither will ever explode like CD did/DVD did, but, SACD for one appears to be here to stay. Just look at the number of new releases. Vinyl "stayed"/and is alive again, just depends at what volumn/numbers sold your expecting! Advice for someone not to "factor" this into their decision, does not sound very good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.