What's new

Lewis won the Tyson/Lewis fight! (1 Viewer)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Mike Tyson...the financial wizard ! Give me a rematch...as if he lost by decision.

Who woulda thunk it...the Red Wings and Canes are still going and the Tyson-Lewis fight is over...

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Mike was simply over-matched. Lewis fought a near perfect and very smart fight.

It's real easy to hate Mike Tyson, but I don't. You have to separate the Mike that's trying to promote his fights from the other Mike. A Mike that has been created from circumstances most of us could never imagine. That doesn't excuse some of the bone headed mistakes he's made but it certainly sheds some light on this very complicated human being.

He was a very gracious loser tonight. I hope he can find some kind of happiness in his life and not self-destruct, like so many think he will.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Once Lewis opened up a cut on Tyson's right eye in round 3 (I think ), Tyson was done. Lewis just peppered that right eye with jabs, and the Lewis opened up Tyson's left eye, and after quite a bit of softening up Tyson's head, Lewis landed a right hook right into a ducking Tyson who ducked left, right into Lewis's right hooks, and that was it for Tyson, who earlier took an 8-count in that 8th and final round.

Everyone (save one person) wanted to see Tyson get the crap beat out of him, and Lewis didn't disappoint the crowd I was with (a birthday shindig that turned into Fight Night once a collection raised enough money to buy the fight off the dish network).

It sounded like Tyson was interviewing Lewis when he was basically begging for a re-match (i.e. another big payday), but this fight exposed Tyson for being one-dimensional, and is so far past his prime, like 15 years past his prime.

I have no idea who Lewis will fight next. There's hardly any big name boxing draws out there, and Lewis already beat up on Holyfield (who's wanting another big payday before his hangs up his gloves).

Alex-C

Screenwriter
You know what is amazing to me: pole dancin...no, uh, the fact that a boxer has a another guy standing across from him who could in 2 seconds, crush your skull, and he can still fight smartly. I know they are professionals, and well trained and all that but the fact that you could do that...you know, fight someone and do it with strategy and aplomb...that is amazing to me.

Most people get freaked out when confronted by a co-worker or something (relatively) tame - but imagine the pressure of knowing that a small mistake means your head is crushed and your legs buckle...that is just amazing.

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
I am a big Tyson fan, and could not wait for this fight. It was sad to see him fight the way he did. It almost seem like he gave up after the fourth round. Lewis fought a great fight, but I would love to see the old Mike one more time before he's done.Sadly to say I think this was his last fight,if not it should be. He needs to stop and be remembered for the fighter he was, and not this man I saw tonight. :frowning:

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Now I got to go lay some money down on it to make up for the outrageous 55 dollar fee :frowning:
WOOOOHOOOO!!!! I put down 25 on over 6 and a half rounds at the going rate of +126, and with the win the fight only cost me $18.50. Ah, it feels like 1989 with those prices :D :D :D Viva Las Vegas!

Johnny wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I loved seeing Tyson get the shit kicked out of him. Lewis killed that raping, stupid, bitch-sounding son of a whore! Tyson is threw. Forever. :D

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Did anyone hear what Tyson said in the 6 or 7th (can't remember which round). His corner kept pleading for him to start boxing and do some damage and Tyson said something like: "I can't". His corner didn't appear to have a gameplan. Tyson was beat by a technician. Plain and Simple.

Tyson had a strong 1st round. As a matter of fact for Heavyweights that was the best opening first round I've ever seen! They literally looked like they wanted to kill each over. Lewis actually looked a little nervous. After the 2nd it ws all Lewis. By the fourth Tyson was nothing more than a 234 lb punching bag. Not quite a dead man. Honestly, when he went down it looked more like he simply gave up. He was a swollen mess though.

Roy Jones gave the most interesting analysis on the fight I think. I kind of missed George Foreman's commentary. He's always entertaining...but alas, it wasn't HBO. Overall, a pretty good night of boxing with okay undercards.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I was always a huge Tyson fan, and for years and years have hoped that he could get his life back together. Unfortunately, when he got rid of his original management and trainers, and fell in with the evil that is Don King, his life fell apart. When he was surrounded by good people, he really was able to keep things under control. I think they provided both a safety net and a support group to Mike--they had steered his life and career for years, and had groomed him into one of the most impressive fighters of all time. During his prime, Mike Tyson was not only a phenomenal boxer, but also a pretty enjoyable media personality. His specials on HBO showed him to be a man with an unbelievable knowledge of boxing history, and someone who truly loved the sport. He was always excited and quite literate when talking about the boxers who had come before him, and could give blow-by-blow descriptions of fights that took place 100 years ago. Now, his statements are seldom coherent, and most often frightening and vulgar.

When he left his original trainers and surrounded himself with thugs, many of whom knew nothing about boxing and simply wanted to be around the fame and money that Mike was bringing in, that's when it all went to hell for the guy. His life became one terrible freefall, with occasional attempts to pull things back together. I feel Mike's career is now officially over, even if he does manage to put together another fight or two.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Personally I find Mike Tyson very repulsive, a rapist, a tatoo of Mao (who most historians alledge may have had more people killed in the last century than any other person in history), and completely uncivilized (both in and out of the ring). I hope his children have a decent bank/trust account as I think another legal problem or two most likely will leave him broke once again.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Lewis made Tyson his lil bitch. Needless to say, Tyson didn't do too much "skull crushing" tonite. :)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
First Argentina in the football, and now Tyson. :D
A good couple of days for England sports fans! :emoji_thumbsup:

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I have no idea who Lewis will fight next. There's hardly any big name boxing draws out there
WBO Heavyweight Champion Wladimir Klitschko

WBA Heavyweight Champion John Ruiz

#1 IBF Contender Chris Byrd

I admit you have to follow boxing a little bit to know
some of these guys so the statement holds true. But,
Lennox should have been fighting Byrd last night and had
to go to court to skip him which under IBF rules should
have been a mandatory bout. Industry magazines suggest
that many are afraid of Byrd and he has been touted as
the Roy Jones, Jr. of the Heavyweight Division. Mike is
currently ranked 13th by the IBF excluding last nights
butt-whoopin. Byrd has been due a title-shot for over a
year now.

Nothing like a real undisputed champion, but extreme politics
preclude any such fantasies ..... but what about Byrd?

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Tyson did absolutely nothing in this fight, and doesn't deserve a rematch. Unfortunately for boxing, there are no other names in the heavyweight division other than Tyson, Lewis and Holyfield, so he probably will.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I would love to see the old Mike one more time before he's done.
Too late. ;)
I saw the fight unexpectedly last night. Turns out my brother-in-law ordered it and was having some people over. He called me at work to let me know. Since he thought the main event was scheduled to start at 10:00 PM, I figured there was a real chance I'd miss it, since I was working until ten and it takes about a half hour to get to his house. My brother-in-law and I got the Tyson-Spinks fight on PPV ages ago. I saw the "whole" thing, but he didn't. He got up to grab a beer about a minute into the fight and it was over before he made it back. :) Talk about a waste of money.
Turns out I was the only one in the room not rooting for Tyson. I had a lot of respect for Tyson in the pre-rape days, but have had no use for him since and would root for pretty much anybody fighting against him. So I really enjoyed the fight, even though judged strictly as a boxing match, it wasn't much.
The corner comments were hilarious, with Tyson's people telling him things like, "use your hands", and "throw punches". The sad thing is that he actually needed to be told those things, but didn't seem interested in taking any advice. Instead he went back out after each round and continued letting Lewis use his head as a speed-bag.
One of the classic bar games is the imaginary match-up of fighters from different eras. Could Ali in his prime have outboxed a powerhouse like Tyson in his? After last night I think Ali could take Tyson now. :)
The ring announcer could have modified his signature phrase, pointed at Tyson, turned to Lewis and said, "Let's get ready to PUUUUUUMMMMELLL!"
Regards,
Joe

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Now maybe Tyson will just fade away into oblivion. Unfortunately, he probably won't. Don't expect great things from him in the future. I'm afraid he has a very sad and unproductive life ahead of him.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Anybody think maybe Mike was overmedicated yesterday? I saw some of his pre-fight interviews, and he seemed way to cordial. From what I saw of him in recent days, it was unlike the maniac that had been seen for quite some time. If I'm not mistaken, he was diagnosed with some pretty serious mental problems, and I believe prescribed some medication to help him, and perhaps it was doing just that. Not that I think he should be in boxing anymore though, his past actions just aren't forgiveable IMHO. I'm glad Lewis won in such a decisive manner.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
This fight allowed him to pay off his debt and establish a little bit of financial cushion. I'm guessing that he'll be bankrupt though (again?) within 3 years.
There is no cushion. Even if he puts all the money he made towards paying off his debts (which he won't), Tyson will still be several million dollars in debt. His financial information is public record thanks to a current lawsuit; look for it in the SI cover story from a few weeks ago.

The big story, in my mind, is Tyson's demeanor after the fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks