What's new

Letter Box movies on Wise Screen TV question. (1 Viewer)

Nick

Second Unit
What is the aspect Ratio for Letter box movie to fit perfectly on Wise screen TV.
I saw them playing Epesode I on Wise screen TV at Tweeter but it still show black bar on top and bottom of the screen.
Thanks.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Wise screen, eh? I like it! :)
I believe, with help from overscan, ratios between 1.66:1 and 1.85:1 will "fill" your screen. 1.77:1 for perfect fit, but it is unlikely you will notice any bars in the range above (and usually 1.77:1 is just for TV).
[Edited last by PhilipG on November 03, 2001 at 12:50 PM]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Movies come in many different aspect ratios, 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 (which is what Episode 1 was shot in) are the most common. A wiDe screen television is 1.78:1, which is a good compromise between standard (1.33:1) and those 2 screen shapes
Jeff Kleist

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
All 1.78:1 transfers (anamorphic) will fit perfectly on your 16:9 display.
Ratios wider than 1.78:1 such as 1.85:1, 2.10:1, 2.20:1, 2.40:1, 2.55:1, and 2.76:1 will have larger borders.
In my opinion, wide TV's should have been 2.0:1. 1.78:1 is not much wider than 1.33:1 and only adds 33% more resolution. 2.55:1 would have been even BETTER, but that would be one wide TV....

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Better yet, I wish DVD had the ability to do a VARIABLE anamorphic squeeze. In other words, a 25% squeeze for 1.66, a 33% squeeze for 1.78 and 1.85 films, a 76% squeeze for 2.35 films and so on. That way, ALL films would make use of the full vertical resolution.
------------------

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm gonna take a shot here and say about 1.85:1 will have minimal if any matte bars showing. I believe the Phantom Menace was 2.35:1.
One thing I've realized when making screencaps for my website is that ALL DVDs (with rare exceptions) crop 1.85:1 films to 1.78:1 for DVD presentation.
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist
Potter is coming...

Nick

Second Unit
Well, went through my DVD collection. 90% of the movies I have are 2:35:1 ratio.
That sucks. Can't get away from that black bar.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
That sucks. Can't get away from that black bar.
So what, dude.
rolleyes.gif

You are seeing the full film frame and at a higher resolution than I am currently seeing. (I'm still a 4:3 TV philistine.)
You're perfectly correct, you will not get away from the black bars on 2.35:1 films, so you have a choice.
1) Alter the aspect ratio manually using the TV (boo, hiss)
2) Sell your 2.35:1 films and only buy 1.66:1 - 1.85:1 ratio films from now on. As long as this doesn't prevent me from watching OAR scope movies in the future, It's your choice.
3) Watch the movie with the lights off or get used to it.
4) Use mattes.? :)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
2) Sell your 2.35:1 films and only buy 1.66:1 - 1.85:1 ratio films from now on. As long as this doesn't prevent me from watching OAR scope movies in the future, It's your choice.
No... if he buys 1.66:1, he'll have little black bars on the left and right side of his screen and he doesn't want that and if he buys 1.85:1, he'll be still seeing little black bars on the top and bottom of his screen. He'll need to start buying films in (and only in) 1.78:1 if he wants no black bars on his widescreen TV.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed / AIM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Nick, Nick, Nicky, Nickmeister, PLEASE tell me you were kidding about 2.35:1 sucking, otherwise, i'll have to slam ya!
wink.gif

Here's what you do, make black mattes for your screen and attach them with velcro, when you watch a dvd at night with the light's off, all you'll see is an isolated 2.35:1 image. It really enhances night veiwing, trust me.
But I love your variation on the term Wide-screen, Wise-screen, that's great!
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and women of our military and their families!

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Matthew : Accounting for a bit of overscan.. 1:66.1 to 1.85:1 films will fill almost all his screen. (but I'm sure you knew that..)
OAR, and only OAR for me! Regardless of black bars..

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Matthew : Accounting for a bit of overscan.. 1:66.1 to 1.85:1 films will fill almost all his screen. (but I'm sure you knew that..)
Yeah I knew that, but it depends on how much overscan he has his television set for (or how much his television set it at depending on if he even played with the controls).
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed / AIM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I think we need to get out of THE PRICE IS RIGHT and continue our mission, Matthew.
wink.gif

- Steve

Nick

Second Unit
Don't get me wrong. I hate P&S. All my movies are in WS. That black bars don't bother me at all. It would look nice if every fill up the whole screen you know what I mean.
Guess you can't please everybody.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Nick, as I said above, give the mattes a try! A friend of mine has a 61" RP, and has made it a common practice to do this, and it's great! Thier's nothing like sitting in the dark, with nothing visible in the room except a big, glowing 2.35:1 image! I have a Sony VVega, and have to get the materials I need to make new ones, I had to throw my old mattes out when I got the VVega.
Give it a shot, it's a real solution to your problem, and you'll love the results. :)
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and women of our military and their families!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks