What's new

Letter-Box Eliminator (1 Viewer)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I think they could be on to something good with this! If the J6Ps buy this player, then we won't deal with complaints from them about black bars on widescreen DVDs! :D

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Does one of its special DVD formats include properly matting a 1.66:1 title to a 1.78:1 (16x9) anamorphic singal?
I think they could be on to something good with this! If the J6Ps buy this player, then we won't deal with complaints from them about black bars on widescreen DVDs!
Yes, let J6P have there zoom and give us OAR software.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
They can have the zoom all that they want. Hell, even Disney says to use the zoom function with BatB. The notion that black bars unequivocally means "ugly" is very disturbing, though. Again, it's not the product. It's the principle. :)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I still don't get why they can't just enable the pan-and-scan flag, which all players can read, so at least they'll automatically crop the picture. I've seen it enabled on Elite's Drive-In Discs and a couple New Line screener discs.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Jesse, probably because the J6Ps would not know how to change their DVD player settings to 4:3 P&S.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
J6P is shorthand for Joe Six Pack (or Jane Six Pack). This is basically a term that encompasses all ignorant people that prefer Pan and Scan over Widescreen. They are the people who shop at Wal-Mart and have very small TVs.

Hope this helps. If someone wants to expand, then go right ahead.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

I buy groceries at Wal Mart and have a 19-inch mono TVCR combo (small by HTF standards), but I do not think I quality as a J6P, just a college student on a tight budget. :)

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
I think offensive comments like you just made prove how ignorant you are my friend. Do you think you are somehow "better" than those who shop somewhere different of purchase differently than you? Don't automatically assume that all on this forum are rich, Ivy League graduates who enjoy discussing fine arts and the quirks and shortcomings of those "lesser" than yourself. :wink:

David Susilo

Screenwriter
They are the people who shop at Wal-Mart and have very small TVs.
Okay, I guess my 46" HDTV viewed from a distance of 5 feet is considered "very small TV"

oh... and also my friend who drives a Lexus, own a mansion, HT setup with a 60" 4:3 Magnavox and exclusively buying Full-Frame DVD at HMV (he refuses to go to WalMart) by your definition is not a J6P.

ps: you never shopped at Wal-Mart? As a J6P, I envy you, the member of the elite crowd. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks