What's new

Let's talk Beer (1 Viewer)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
How should Guinness be poured?

The perfect pint of Guinness is served using the 'two-part' pour. First, start with a clean, dry glass. Pour the Guinness into a glass tilted at 45 degrees, until it is 3/4 full. Allow the surge to settle before filling the glass completely to the top. Your perfect pint, with its creamy white head, is ready to drink.

I find that a pint glass (with angled sides) works well when I'm not being anal about my cooking. The beer hits the sides, and surges up.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I get no foam that way and more beer.
Actually you don’t get more beer. Additional foam does not mean less beer. The foam is only caused by some of the carbonation being released.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but for me a bit of head (foam) on the beer has allowed the beer to awaken in that the aromas of the beer are now much easier to detect. That is, as the carbonation is released, it carries the bottled up smells (and of course the associated tastes) into the upper parts of the glass where they can be appreciated.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Well, my wife and I moved to Germany back in November. Drinking lots of German beer. Some great ones (Augustiner Maximator Doppelbock and Andechser Doppelbock), some not so great (mostly pilseners). Unfortunately I still work in the US so I won't be here all the time.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Doppelbock is my favorite style of beers. Hmm... yummy.

Germany's Ayinger's Celebrator Doppelbock, Spaten Optimator, Paulaner Salvator, and Minnesota's August Schell's Doppelbock are all very good.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I don't get to this site much anymore but I was surprised to see the beer thread hadn't been posted to in so long. I just wanted to pass along a new (for me) beer that I tried tonight. It's Biere de Mars from New Belgium Brewing. I like Fat Tire so I figured this should be good also and it definitely is. One of the best beers I've tried in a while. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: from me!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I've been stuck on dark beers for the past 4 months or so. Haven't tried anything new or cold, I only drink darks at room temp. A few of my current favorites...

- Steelhead Extra Stout

- Alaskan Smoked Porter

- Young's Oatmeal Stout

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I've never had Steelhead Extra Stout, but:
- Alaskan Smoked Porter
- Young's Oatmeal Stout
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Mark Romero said:
Dogfish Head 90 minute is heavily hopped but damn, it's good.
I haven't read through the whole thread and am not sure if the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA that Mark mentions had been discussed in detail but I have to also weigh in with a "Damn, that's some mighty fine brew!"
If you haven't had one of these - do yourself a favor and seek it out immediately!! No, really right now - get going!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
So Ron, you were so stoked with the Mini that you also bought a Lucas Refrigerator?
Funny Dennis, very funny. But, I drink all my dark ales and stouts at room temp. They are like fine red wines never to be chilled.

Matt Fig

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Fig
It looks like it has been awhile since anyone has posted here, so I hope this gets a reply. At this time Three Floyds is not distributing Alpha King in Columbus, Ohio (at least that is my understanding). I have found out that they may resume distribution in the not so near future. Alpha King is my absolute favorite beer. Do any of you have any recommendations that may come close to the taste of AP? Thanks for your input and cheers!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I don't have any recommendations.. but, because you've revived this thread, I think I may need to stop by my local brewpub tonight for one of their pale ales.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Matt, have you tried Bridgeport IPA or Widmer's Broken Halo? Although both of these beers call themselves IPAs they are more of a Pale Ale. Both have a nice citrus bite, aroma, and alcohol content (you can drink a few without getting hammered)... just like the Alpha King. I mention these 2 beers because you might actually be able to find them in Ohio. One thing to mention is that there might be a specialty store in your area that can get Three Floyds or maybe a taproom that can get it as a guest keg/tap.

Matt Fig

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Fig
Thanks guys for the help. The local shops no longer carry the Aplha only Gumball and the only place I knew of that carried Aplha on tap does not currently have it. I will definitely have top pick up Bridgeport and Halo this weekend (especially since the NCAA's are on). I did happen to pick up a 6 pack of Loose Cannon Hop3 Ale made by Clipper City. Not to bad but not Alpha King (maybe I am spoiled or tainted).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks